MBB: American Rivers Conference

Started by sidelines, May 02, 2005, 09:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunkin3117

The end of season rankings are a complete joke.  I get that Wartburg made it to the Sweet 16, but there is no way they were the 18th best team in the country.  Not trying to take anything away from Wartburg by any means, but they, like other teams, (i.e. Augustana, Williams) got hot at the right time of the year. 

On another note, I too heard about the Kedrowski kid.  Also heard they got Mueller (sp?) from Prince of Peace.  Also sounds like the Prairie duo of Drahos and Eilers have committed to Wartburg and Coe.  I had a chance to see the both play several times this year and I believe both have a BRIGHT future in this league. 

Any idea what others are bringing in?  Haven't heard or seen much on any of the others from in-state.  Don't follow the recruiting trail outside of Iowa all that often. 

Alfredeneumann

UNI releases Men's BB schedule and Nov. 15, hosting Wartburg. 3 new starts for Wartburg this year.  ::)
Aaron Kampman on Coach Ed Thomas
I believe his greatest legacy comes not in how many football games he won or lost but in the fact that he was a committed follower of Jesus Christ.

doolittledog

Quote from: Alfredeneumann on June 09, 2017, 10:23:58 AM
UNI releases Men's BB schedule and Nov. 15, hosting Wartburg. 3 new starts for Wartburg this year.  ::)

And Dubuque Dec. 10

https://twitter.com/UNImbb/status/873162765963108352
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Alfredeneumann

LC brings back Tim Schuring as asst coach

http://www.luther.edu/sports/men/basketball/headlines/?story_id=768928

Former Wart asst. Oliver Drake is HC @ Midland.
Aaron Kampman on Coach Ed Thomas
I believe his greatest legacy comes not in how many football games he won or lost but in the fact that he was a committed follower of Jesus Christ.

dunkin3117

It's good to see Schuring get back to Luther. 

Just about a month away from the start of the season.  As always, it will be an exciting IIAC.  I hope Wartburg's deep NCAA tournament run brings a little national attention to the league.  Loras and NWU were both worthy of getting in last year.  Maybe this is the year the IIAC finally gets a little recognition as one of the best leagues in the country. 

My WAY to early predictions.

NWU
Last Year: 11-5
Projection: 13-3
Key Returners: Everyone
Key Losses: None

Wartburg
Last Year: 8-8
Projection: 10-6
Key Returners: Sabus, Woeste, Kickbush
Key Losses: Weber, Cannon, Kalan

Loras
Last Year: 11-5
Projection: 10-6
Key Returners: DiCanio, George, Dacy-Seijo
Key Losses: Quinn, VanWambeke, Mathis

Coe
Last Year: 6-10
Projection: 8-8
Key Returners: Winker, Timp, Haaland, Meyer,
Key Losses: Jirak, Vonderhaar, Shedeck, Pflughaupt

Simpson
Last Year: 9-7
Key Returners: Amsbaugh
Key Losses: Singleton, Thompson, Turner, Dafney

BV
Last Year: 10-6
Key Returners: Jeffries x2, Wisecup, Juhl
Key Losses: Gallagher, Drey, Morgan

Dubuque
Last Year: 7-9
Projection: 7-9
Key Returners: Lake, Atwater, Jackson, Newsome
Key Losses: Mohlis, Weber

Central
Last Year: 8-8
Projection: 6-10
Key Returners: Boyd, Drucker, Wildermuth, Smith
Key Losses: Handsaker, Walker, Taylor, Glawe, Kunkel

Luther
Last Year: 2-14
Projection: 4-12
Key Returners: no roster available
Key Losses: no roster available

doolittledog

Your projections show the depth of the league.  You have Dubuque, Central, and Luther missing the conference tourney, and they are 3 teams that have recently won the conference title. 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

dunkin3117

Which is why I just can't comprehend why the league has not gotten the respect on a national stage.  These teams beat up on each other night in and night out, and proved that they can compete with teams from the WIAC and CCIW this past year.  Really looking forward to this season...someone will surprise me, that, I can assure you.

AndOne

If you Iowa boys don't mind a little info from an IL guy.........

Loras is getting a great 6'6" 3 point shooter - Rowan McGowan
Dubuque is getting two very solid all around 6'5" players - Pete Ragen & Cole Navigato.

I saw all 3 play several times. McGowan is just a plain ice water in his veins shooter. The bigger the need for a three pointer the more likely he is to make it.

Ragen can play, probably in this order, the 3, 2, or 1. Not a huge scorer or rebounder, but above average in both, and maybe the best ballhandler over 6'3" I saw last year.
Navigato is both a scorer and rebounder. He will get lots of points or lots of rebounds almost every game. About every 3-4 games he will get lots of both. And he plays defense too.

dunkin3117

I've heard the Ragen name, don't know much about Navigato.  Sounds like UD has added some much needed length.

doolittledog

The news today of all the corruption going on at the D1 level of NCAA basketball has me even more happy to follow D3 basketball and the IIAC. 

Smitty Oom

Quote from: doolittledog on September 26, 2017, 10:49:09 PM
The news today of all the corruption going on at the D1 level of NCAA basketball has me even more happy to follow D3 basketball and the IIAC.

I was telling this to my former teammates today. I enjoy watching D1 but I love D3 and truly believe it this purest form of college athletics. #WhyD3

doolittledog

Preseason coaches poll is out.

http://www.iowaconference.com/news/2017/10/18/iiac-mens-basketball-coaches-tab-nebraska-wesleyan-as-preseason-front-runner.aspx

1.   Nebraska Wesleyan (6) 62 18-8, 11-5 IIAC (Regular Season Co-Champion) 
2.   Loras (2) 57 18-8, 11-5 IIAC (Regular Season Co-Champion)   
3.   Wartburg (1)  51 21-10, 8-8 IIAC (IIAC Tournament Champion)   
4.   Dubuque 38 10-15, 7-9 IIAC   
5.   Simpson 31 16-10, 9-7 IIAC   
6.   Central 28 16-12, 8-8 IIAC   
7.   Buena Vista 26 14-12, 10-6 IIAC   
8.   Coe 23 10-15, 6-10 IIAC   
9.   Luther 8 4-19, 2-14 IIAC   

Smitty Oom

Dont follow the IIAC ultra close but kinda surprised NWU didnt get all first place votes from the other coaches. It will be interesting to see how the momentum of a great NCAA run manifests itself for the Knights early on in the year for Wartburg. What do you think about the poll Doolittle?

doolittledog

Quote from: Smitty Oom on October 19, 2017, 02:29:13 PM
Dont follow the IIAC ultra close but kinda surprised NWU didnt get all first place votes from the other coaches. It will be interesting to see how the momentum of a great NCAA run manifests itself for the Knights early on in the year for Wartburg. What do you think about the poll Doolittle?

The fact Wartburg had a deep playoff run, and Loras was the equal of NWU through the regular season would be the reasons why NWU didn't get all the 1st place votes.  Plus, I don't think everyone really knows NWU too well at this point.  The Prairie Wolves have only been in the conference 1 season.  I follow Dubuque, but don't keep too updated on who the other schools return and what not.  I'm old, so besides wanting to see UD at the top, I also want to see the Spartans beat up Loras and Wartburg  ;D

dunkin3117

It's hard to say if the post season run will translate for the Knights.  They did lose 2 1,000 point scorers from that team.  The surprises to me were seeing Coe/BV that low.  Coe will have a solid squad, and BV always seems to find a way to be right around that 8 to 10 win mark.  A lot of teams have their rosters out, I definitely see some new names that could make an immediate impact in the league.  Going to be an exciting year.