Bumblin' B's

Started by Mr. Ypsi, March 03, 2005, 10:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Collinge

The B-team finishes up with a 1-3 tourney record, broken down as 1-1 vs. Pool A and 0-2 vs. Pool C.  For those keeping score at home!

njlincolnlion

Knightstalker:

I couldn't agree with you more with Lincoln finding a conference to compete in.  Lately Lincoln has played teams in the CAC,CUNY, MAC Freedom, NJAC, and other independents.  Unfortunately, playing a "hodge podge" schedule, cause a program to play up or down to the level of competition.
Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, '30

17 NCAA DIII Championships

Ralph Turner

NJLincoln, which conference might be the best match for Lincoln, e.g., geographic, historical rivals, "mission/vision", etc.?

Mike Dougherty aka Knightstalker

Geographically Lincoln would be a fit with the NJAC (a bit of a drive but not horrible) and all the Mid-Atlantic region conferences.  I don't know where they would fit philosophically and academically though.  I wouldn't mind seeing them as an associate member of the NJAC for basketball, they would be a nice fit as far as that goes, but it would cause the conference to have an uneven number of teams.  After looking at their website possibly the UAA?

Chris Pae

IMO, The UAA is academically snobby.  The only other DIII schools that I could being invited are Johns Hopkins (already tried it out, didn't fully commit, and backed out), MIT and Tufts.  They're looking for private, research universities located in major metropolitan areas.  I think they are set for a while.

Mike Dougherty aka Knightstalker

I looked further at Lincoln and I realized they were a state school, I had thought they were private.  I was going more on who some of the alumni were.  They are definitely a school that needs a conference.  I looked at teams they have played since 89 and they don't seem to be afraid of many schools, seems like they will take any games they can get.  I would hate to see them join a conference like the NEAC, they would destroy most of those guys and it would be a step down from the schedule they play now.

(Message edited by knightstalker on March 7, 2005)

Hoops Fan

What about the PAC for Lincoln?  They have 9 schools in the men's basketball competition.  10 is a nice even number for them.  There are some very competitive schools and not too much of a drive.

Ralph Turner

Hoops Fan, Immaculata is adding Men's Hoops in 2005-06, if I remember correctly.  The women are at 12 teams and the men become 10 next year.  Lincoln might make it too uneven, unless there is movement by Rosemont and Cedar Crest into the AWCC, which is losing Chestnut Hill to the NEAC and could use the extra 2 teams to keep the AQ.  (I am going off my memory on some of these things, corrections appreciated.http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>)

Lincoln as the extra team might allow the PennAC some geographic flexibility to split into divisions, 6 & 7.  My bias is that a championship in a 6-8 team division is a meaningful accomplishment, and then allow the conference champ to come from a post-season tourney.  The more winners, the better.

Hoops Fan

Thanks Ralph, as always you have a broader view of the whole thing.  I knew there was probably some difference in teams in other sports.  I was just looking at men's basketball and the fit seemed just a bit too good to not be done already.

Hoops Fan

Looking for other options and coming up short.  It seems the PennAC is the best fit for Lincoln.  I think if they could get a Baptist Bible to join as well, at least for men's basketball, it would give them twelve teams and two more schools that fit well with the conference.  Baptist Bible already plays several of the PAC teams regularly.  I don't think that would be too much of a stretch.

I'm not sure Lincoln could find a league to get all of their teams into in their geographic region.  They may just have to focus on the programs that are excelling.

Ralph Turner

Hoopsfan, Baptist Bible is going into the NEAC next year as well.

njlincolnlion

Ralph, Knightstalker, Hoops Fan, & Chris:

Geographically, I think the PAC would be a good, however the NJAC plays a similiar type of game.  You're right Lincoln plays anyone including DII Bowie State.  This is the first year the BBall team has had this type of success.  Historically Lincoln has won approximately 16 NCAA championships in Track & Field (Indoor and Outdoor).

With regard to public/private status, Lincoln is a state related school much like Temple and University of Pittsburgh and Penn State.  Licoln receives some state funding, but has it own Board of Trustee.

Founded in 1854, Some prominent alumni are Former Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, Poets/WritersLangston Hughes and Melvin Tolson, Kwame Nkrumah, Actor Roscoe Lee Brown etc.
Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      

Gordon "Marco Scutaro" Mann

I asked Coach Yuille about the possibility that  the Lions will join a conference during an interview a few weeks ago.

He mentioned discussions with the NEAC and other parties upon which he understandably didn't want to expound.

As an outsider I enjoyed the Lincoln story this year and wish them luck for the future.

njlincolnlion

Gordon:

Thank you for your support during the past season.  This was my first year online with D3. I am D3 all the way, being a Lincoln Alum and having a daughter at Salisbury.

It would really be beneficial for Lincoln to join with a conference.

Now it's time to root for Lincoln's Track & Field team and Salisbury's Lacrosse and Baseball teams.  Thanks for the info this past season (on- line broadcasts).
Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      

BJ

Actor Roscoe Lee Brown, was he in "Dukes of Hazzard?"