MBB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by WoosterFAN, January 27, 2005, 10:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woosterbooster

Fannelly's defense on Fernitz in the last 15 minutes or so really changed the game.  Given a little more help, he was very active and used his quickness to deny the entry pass.  Excellent work against a considerably bigger guy.

Sometimes it's actually a positive to have a guard on the court who isn't looking to score.  A Jalen Goodwin, an Ari Stern.  Somewhat similar players, although Goodwin can on occasion get to the hoop.  With one of these guys on the court, the other more prolific scorers get more shots.  And, neither can be left completely unguarded, because they are both able to bury a three.

On a side note, over the last few weeks I finally got around to watching the last two and a half seasons of The Wire.  Fantastic show, right up there with The West Wing, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, and Friday Night Lights.  Bunk and Lester are good police.

Eco-manblue

:o  So I watched a video replay of Saturday's Denison-OWU game and IF the Big Red can consistently stitch together 2 halves like their first half against OWU, look out opponents!  Denison did everything right in dismantling OWU (granted, OWU's defense is not generally the best but it's not shabby either).  Regardless the Big Red shot 62% in the first half and whether it was inside or outside shots, they got open and flushed them down. OWU had no answer as the lead built inexorably to 47-27 at the half.  Yeah, even poor teams occasionally pull together terrific halves but frankly, I think Wooster or some of the other better D3 teams would have been flummoxed last night against them. 

Couple of other interesting notes:  Denison got 25 pts. from its bench -- OWU got... 0 (not a typo, that's zero!). On the other hand, Freshman Nate Alexrod (22 pts. and 7 rebs.) was the one bright flash for OWU on an otherwise dim evening.  He's an energizer bunny with the skills to penetrate and pump them in from downtown.  I imagine (read: hope) Coach Moore & Co. have taken note in preparation for Wednesday's NCAC headliner against the Bishops...

wooscotsfan

Two best freshmen in the NCAC:

Player #1
15.8 points/game   53.2% FG   49.2% 3PT   82.2% FT   2.3 RPG   5.6 APG
#4 in NCAC Scoring, #1 in Three Point Shooting %, #1 in Assists per Game

Player #2
10.8 points/game   46.3% FG   44.7% 3PT   72.2% FT   2.4 RPG   3.5 APG
#21 in NCAC Scoring, #4 in Three Point Shooting %, #3 in Assists per Game

Player #1 is OWU Freshman Nate Axelrod
Player #2 is Wooster Freshman Spencer Williams

Any other year, Spencer Williams would be NCAC freshmen of the year.  It will be Nate Axelrod this season given his terrific stats and 17 games starting.
Among the NCAC freshmen, #3 in scoring is Kelvin Jones of Hiram at 8.1 points/game and #4 is Chad Roy of Witt at 7.1 points/game

As Eco-manblue noted, slowing down Nate Axelrod is a key factor for Wooster on Wednesday night.

However, Wooster also needs to contain Claude Gray who leads all NCAC players (#1 in Scoring) at 18.9 points/game.  Ohio Wesleyan is undefeated at home this season (7-0) with all of their losses on the road.  Tough task to get a road win in Delaware.

Should be a great game Wednesday as Wooster will be trying to avenge their only NCAC loss to date.  ;)

GO SCOTS!

wally_wabash

Quote from: Eco-manblue on January 25, 2015, 09:44:43 PM
Couple of other interesting notes:  Denison got 25 pts. from its bench -- OWU got... 0 (not a typo, that's zero!). On the other hand, Freshman Nate Alexrod (22 pts. and 7 rebs.) was the one bright flash for OWU on an otherwise dim evening.  He's an energizer bunny with the skills to penetrate and pump them in from downtown.  I imagine (read: hope) Coach Moore & Co. have taken note in preparation for Wednesday's NCAC headliner against the Bishops...

A little behind the numbers on this- OWU's starters played 184 of the available 200 minutes in the game, including all 100 minutes of the second half (that's right- no substitutions in the second half for OWU).  The bench can't score if the bench isn't in the game.  And I'll say it again- they shoot too many 3s.  They are going to shoot 800 3s this year, you guys.  It's great when you make half of them and you score 85 points, but when you make a third of those shots, you're in trouble.  It got them at Wabash, it got them at Denison, and I don't think that's the last time we'll get a "wow, really OWU?" result before the postseason.  Especially if Mike DeWitt doesn't think he has anybody on the bench who can help, and apparently he doesn't. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

ohiofan1954

Darn, I passed up a great wind for the Big Red just to watch my Bobcats?

countyroad

I would really like to make the 10 minute drive up 23 to see the Scots take on OWU, but I have a work engagement that night.

smedindy

If you make 1/3 of your threes, it's just as good as shooting 50% from two point land, though.

Shoot 12 thees, hit four - that's 12 points. Shoot 12 twos, hit six - that's 12 points.

The key is to rebound those missed threes...

wally_wabash

Quote from: smedindy on January 26, 2015, 04:39:16 PM
If you make 1/3 of your threes, it's just as good as shooting 50% from two point land, though.

Shoot 12 thees, hit four - that's 12 points. Shoot 12 twos, hit six - that's 12 points.

The key is to rebound those missed threes...

This is all true mathematically...I don't want get too deep into the basketball analytics because that's not an area I know a ton about.  There's a quality of shot component in play here and if you don't shoot 50% on your 2s, you're still in a position to score points through drawing fouls and what not.  Yes, three point shooters get fouled occasionally (very occasionally), but when you're that reliant on that shot, you're counting on makes in a way that you don't always have to count on if you're playing through the post. 

Really, really interesting set of midweek games tonight.  Things could get real bunchy under the top 2 after tonight. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

woosterbooster

Claude Gray has now made nine three-pointers against Wooster with a defender all over him.  He's either the best shooter since Chip Hilton or the luckiest son of lumberjack that ever lived.

Bishopleftiesdad

David Collinge

DePauw 69, Denison 68
Oberlin 62, Kenyon 50
Allegheny 69, Hiram 59
Wittenberg 67, Wabash 51

All the home teams prevailed, except at Wabash, where Wittenberg moved within one game of third place.

1. OWU 9-2/14-4
1. Wooster 9-2/15-3
3. Wabash 6-5/11-7
3. Allegheny 6-5/9-9
5. DePauw 5-6/12-6
5. Wittenberg 5-6/7-11
7. Denison 4-7/10-8
7. Kenyon 4-7/6-12
7. Oberlin 4-7/8-10
10. Hiram 3-8/9-9

Saturday:
OWU at Hiram
Wooster at Wabash
Oberlin at DePauw
Wittenberg at Denison
Allegheny at Kenyon

Eco-manblue

OWU 92, Wooster 85.....

:'(
I'll have a blue Christmas without Woo.
I'll be so blue just thinking about Woo.
Palpitations bled, Woo's loss has gone my head.
Won't be the same, dear, as OWU makes another 3, oh me.

And as those blue baskets started falling
That's when those blue memories started calling
OWU'll be doin' all right with Woo's Christmas of white
But I'll have a blue, blue, blue, blue Christmas
OWU'll be doin' all right with Woo's Christmas of white
But I'll have a blue, blue, blue, blue Christmas   :(

smedindy

Wittenberg's gonna screw around and host a game and then make trouble in the tourney, aren't they??

ohiofan1954

Please Scots, can  you just please hit a ft? By my count you hit 1 of 7 in the second half. Tell #22  to stop crying if you can't make shots.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: smedindy on January 28, 2015, 11:00:32 PM
Wittenberg's gonna screw around and host a game and then make trouble in the tourney, aren't they??

Sounds about right.  Someone neglected to drive the spike thru Dracula's heart when he was down! ::)