MBB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by awadelewis, October 14, 2012, 08:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

pbrooks3

Some good action today @ the SAA Tournament hosted by Centre.  None of the top seeds were toppled as outcomes followed the script.  However, each game was competitive with Oglethorpe squeezing by Birmingham-Southern in OT 65-62; Berry hanging on 62-60 over a hard-charging Millsaps squad; Centre won 75-66 against Rhodes though the game was tight throughout; and finally Sewanee defeating Hendrix 82-64.   Matchups we'll see tomorrow pit #1 seed Centre against #4 Oglethorpe and #2 Berry facing #3 Sewanee.  I expect 2 more competitive games as the winner of the SAA tournament probably has the only legitimate claim to a berth in the upcoming D3 tournament.  Hot team right now appears to be the Sewanee Tigers. 
🏀🏀🏀

pbrooks3

#1 Seed Centre will face #3 Seed Sewanee in Sunday's SAA final.

Centre prevailed in a nail biter over Oglethorpe 75-72.  Neither team was in control most of the game as the lead changed numerous times.  The 2nd half was a defensive half court affair.  Oglethorpe held the halftime advantage by 5 on the strength of a successful 2/3 court heave by Lane Foster before the buzzer.  The 2 teams combined for a single 3-pointer in the last 20 minutes with Centre's Perry Ayers scoring it at a critical moment.  Dawson Crump calmly drained 2 free throws for the Colonels in the waning seconds to close out the victory.

The Sewanee-Berry game had less drama as it was dominated for the majority of the time by Sewanee and an MVP caliber performance from Luke Smith.  Smith worked his magic for 40 points which included 8-11 from beyond the arc in a 70-63 victory.  His real value in my estimation is how he successfully managed the shot clock for Sewanee on the offensive end finding the right teammate or converting a shot with time ticking down.  Frankly the final score was not indicative of how dominant Sewanee played today.  A number of missed free throws and some questionable calls late made the outcome look closer than was actually the case.

They lace them up tomorrow @ 3 PM ET.  A lot of parity in the SAA as all of these tournament games have been competitive.  I expect a tight one to the finish on Sunday as well.
🏀🏀🏀

pbrooks3

Exciting final action @ Danville today in the SAA final as Sewanee nailed a 3-pointer in the final seconds to win 62-59 and earn the automatic qualifier.  The Tigers' Luke Smith turned in another stellar game scoring 23 and knocking down 6-7 from deep.  Centre seized some momentum late after getting down by 10 early in the 2nd half to open a 7-point advantage in the final 3 minutes only to see Sewanee make 4 straight 3's to lead to the victory.  Jacob Bates led Centre with 22. It was an impressive weekend of competitive tournament games.
🏀🏀🏀

awadelewis

Going to be some very nervous people at Centre this morning.   The projection over on D3Hoops has Centre as the last team with an at-large berth.

Going to be interesting to see where Sewanee goes in the first round.

BerryCollegeFan

Congrats to the Tigers on a fine year.  Play well in the NCAAs.

hasanova

Congratulations to the University of the South on your NCAA berth!  Being in the tournament is always a good thing.

At today's watch party on Guilford's campus, most of us were expecting to travel to Atlanta and face an all Southern field. 

With that said, however, GC is obviously happy to host and would like to welcome the Emory Eagles, the Sewanee Tigers and the Wittenberg Tigers to Greensboro, NC, Guilford College and Ragan Brown Fieldhouse.  As a Guilford alumnus, long time Greensboro resident and President of the Quaker Club (boosters), I'd be happy to answer questions about logistics, parking, restaurants and lodging.  The college and on-campus fieldhouse are located at 5800 W. Friendly Ave, Greensboro, NC 27410.  The campus is in suburban west Greensboro and is easily accessible via I-40, I-73, I-85 and US 220.

Safe travels!

awadelewis

Thanks!    There's a effort going on to get as many of our alumni in the area as possible to come to Greensboro for the game. 

hasanova

Quote from: awadelewis on February 26, 2019, 10:29:33 AM
Thanks!    There's a effort going on to get as many of our alumni in the area as possible to come to Greensboro for the game.
Great!  No presales on tickets, but they will be available in the lobby of Ragan Brown at 4 pm Friday:  $10 adults, $5 for seniors 65+ and students with ID.  Young kids free.  Various spots to park around campus ... security will not be as strict on parking permits during the tournament.  Spring break for students starts Friday, so there should be more spaces around dorms.  If needed, Quaker Village shopping center has a lot of spaces across Friendly Ave from the college ... 500 yard walk to the fieldhouse.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Just to be clear - each school is dedicated an allotment of tickets. I can't remember how "at the door" sales usually work, but Guilford fans or other opponents can't gobble up seats of other teams because they are early best I understand it.

I am confirming the exact mechanics of all this.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 26, 2019, 01:37:00 PM
Just to be clear - each school is dedicated an allotment of tickets. I can't remember how "at the door" sales usually work, but Guilford fans or other opponents can't gobble up seats of other teams because they are early best I understand it.

There's a deadline - it might even be in the pre-championship manual, but is certainly in the hosting manual that gets published publicly at some point.  Anyway, schools have a certain deadline where they either pay for their ticket allotment or return the unsold tickets to the host (or some combination of the two, obviously).  I want to say it's Thursday, but I'm not very confident in that.  A lot of times there are tickets "at the door" because visiting allotments weren't sold out.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

"For first-/second-round, sectional and final games, the host team will receive one-half of available seating. The remaining half of available seating will be equally distributed in terms of number and location among the three visiting teams."

There is information about when the visiting team should tell the host if they have sold their tickets (it is usually Wednesday of the week), so I would suggest checking with Sewanee about what they are doing with their allotment.

hasanova

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 26, 2019, 01:37:00 PM

You are correct, Dave.  I went to the second round at Marietta in 2017 and Guilford fans could buy tickets from a designated door.  When our allotment was not fully sold, the remaining tickets were available to Marietta fans.

tarheelfan

Very rough first season...

Quote from: rlk on August 10, 2018, 06:44:39 PM
I see Tyler Papadinis has taken the head coaching position at Rhodes College.  He's done a great job as associate head coach at MIT, and I think you're going to be very happy with him at the helm.  Very sharp and a great person all around.