FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WLGHistorian

I have not posted in a long time. Hello to all those who remember me. To give you an update on what happened to me, after attending the last home game against Hiram at Wabash's old Little Giant stadium, on November 9, 2019, I suffered a stroke 5 days later. I was in the hospital for 3 days and watched the Monon Bell game from my hospital bed. Then I was spent about a month doing out-patient rehabilitation. I have been home since early December and managed to go see a few Wabash basketball games last January and February. Without the my loving wife and a few close friends I don't where I would be right now.  I am still affected by my stroke. I have weak eyesight, a limp, weak hands and a slurred voice. But I am thankful that my mind is as strong as ever and finding new hobbies to keep me busy. One thing I have started is my own blog called "Watching Wabash's North Coast and Beyond which will cover Wabash, the North Coast Conference, and any Division III sports news I hear about. Obviously right now with no sports happening I am relying on my vast knowledge of Wabash history, my 10 year career as a Wabash football manager (YES, 10 YEARS!) starting in 1970 when I was 13 years old, and following Wabash sports for 51 years. I am also full of anecdotes from my career and Wabash history.

Please visit my site anytime you wish at somelittlegiant.simplesite.com and leave comments to how much you care for it.  A close friend of mine has been urging me to write a book on my knowledge and funny stories I have to share about being around Wabash sports. What kind of reaction people have to this blog will determine if I write the book. I am just an amateur writer, so take it easy on me.

As I always say, Just as Wabash Always Fights!, I have adopted this slogan as my life motto as well. Take care everyone.

bleedpurple

Quote from: WLGHistorian on August 05, 2020, 05:09:01 PM
I have not posted in a long time. Hello to all those who remember me. To give you an update on what happened to me, after attending the last home game against Hiram at Wabash's old Little Giant stadium, on November 9, 2019, I suffered a stroke 5 days later. I was in the hospital for 3 days and watched the Monon Bell game from my hospital bed. Then I was spent about a month doing out-patient rehabilitation. I have been home since early December and managed to go see a few Wabash basketball games last January and February. Without the my loving wife and a few close friends I don't where I would be right now.  I am still affected by my stroke. I have weak eyesight, a limp, weak hands and a slurred voice. But I am thankful that my mind is as strong as ever and finding new hobbies to keep me busy. One thing I have started is my own blog called "Watching Wabash's North Coast and Beyond which will cover Wabash, the North Coast Conference, and any Division III sports news I hear about. Obviously right now with no sports happening I am relying on my vast knowledge of Wabash history, my 10 year career as a Wabash football manager (YES, 10 YEARS!) starting in 1970 when I was 13 years old, and following Wabash sports for 51 years. I am also full of anecdotes from my career and Wabash history.

Please visit my site anytime you wish at somelittlegiant.simplesite.com and leave comments to how much you care for it.  A close friend of mine has been urging me to write a book on my knowledge and funny stories I have to share about being around Wabash sports. What kind of reaction people have to this blog will determine if I write the book. I am just an amateur writer, so take it easy on me.

As I always say, Just as Wabash Always Fights!, I have adopted this slogan as my life motto as well. Take care everyone.

I'm very sorry to hear about your stroke. I know that creates an uphill battle. Thank you for this post and way to go on keeping the fighting spirit. Your story is inspiring and could very well help others during the unsettling times of this pandemic. It's very easy for people to feel sorry for themselves, but not after reading your words. Way to go in carrying on the fight and thank you for the inspiring post. Humility is tested during successful times. Character is revealed in challenging times. You represent Wabash well!

Shamrock

Pat Coleman

Yes, I deleted a post intentionally.

No, we're not going to speak ill of the dead that way, even in a rivalry.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

sigma one

"Coach Nick" was a fine man, a great coach, and for many the face of DePauw University.  He was gracious in both victory and defeat through his years competing for the Monon Bell.  His loss is indeed tragic for the D3 community and especially for the university he represented.  I will miss seeing his energy on the sidelines, even after his "retirement," when he was still coaching the DPU kickers.  Vaya con Dios Coach Nick.

Whitecarrera

Pat - if you stepped in and did something like that, then good for you.  I'll stand tall on the red side of this rivalry, and there are some down there who've had their fill of me, but Coach Nick had it all in perspective. 

At the Monon Stag the year after I graduated, we approached a door at the same time, and I said "Hi Coach."  He looked up, laughed, and said, "I'm glad we don't have to face you again."  As a Wabash guy who later coached against him, he was always good to be around.  The rivalry has made both schools better, and he got that. RIP, Coach Nick.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Recognize the difference.

wabashsid

I ran into Coach Nick at a golf course in Greencastle one summer. He was finishing his round and putting his clubs away in his car. I was getting my clubs out of the car. He came over and joked about how many people would be amazed that either one of us had a real life outside of the Monon Bell Game! We chatted for a bit more more and moved on. When I saw him after he "retired" (he was never too far away from DePauw football) at the Bell game we also had a nice chance to catch up for a few minutes.

Coach Nick  is a great example of everything that makes the Monon Bell Classic such an amazing rivalry!.

jaybird44

Hello all!

Usually I post items about WashU games that I have or will broadcast, or about general observations from other games and events.  However, this post regards a topic that is quite a bit different--with the athletic shoe being on the broadcaster's foot.

I am going to attempt to cover 100 miles in a solo charity ultramarathon through an event that I have organized.  "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" will be conducted in the subdivision where I live in St. Charles, MO, to raise awareness and research funds for Rett syndrome.  I get started at 9 a.m. Central on Saturday, October 3 and end at 5 p.m. Sunday, October 4.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  Rett strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it takes away the child's ability to move and communicate.  Most of them end up in wheelchairs with active minds, but mired in the physical rubble that Rett creates.  And, the neurological damage prevents verbal communication and arm and hand movement for sign language.

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

If you would like to make a donation to the cause, here is the link to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and let's hope that we get back to playing and broadcasting sports much sooner than later!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend

USee

Quote from: Titan Q on December 01, 2020, 03:10:23 PM
Pat and the D3hoops.com crew need our help...

https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2020/12/d3sports-needs-your-help

I signed up for 1 of the 4 levels today...hope you will consider doing the same.

Thanks!

Copy and paste from basketball board. Time to pitch in guys!

sigma one

Everyone:  let's get behind keeping D3FB up and running.  I don't post nearly as much as some, though more than some others.  But I check the site every day, and during the season multiple times, to get scores, read comments, and put in my point of view.  Please open your wallets and your hearts to keep this going

wally_wabash

Hear! Hear!  There's little doubt how much D3Sports.com has meant to so many of us in this forum over the years (I've been posting for over 20 years!!).  If you haven't yet, I hope you'll join me in subscribing to one of the Patreon tiers this holiday season so that when D3 football resumes in the coming months, D3Football.com will be there and better than ever for all of us and all of the future D3 enthusiasts that haven't found us yet.

I hope you all have a safe, healthy, and happy holiday!
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

MUC57

Good advice Wally. You'll get lots of support I'm sure.
Have a great holiday. See you next year on d3football.com. 🏈 👍
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Li'l Giant

I hadn't posted at all this "season" but wanted to join Wally in asking y'all to support the site on Patreon. I just joined up and hope you will too.

"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

Li'l Giant

As a testament to how crazy 2020 was I missed the news that Coach Mourouzis had passed away this fall.

When I was a student at Wabash I was an editor for the Bachelor. We were planning an amazing special edition for the Monon Bell Game my senior year (1998 game). Chris Cotterill and I drove down to Greencastle to take some photos we would be using for the paper as well as get some quotes if we could. One of the things we wanted to do was have the two helmets facing each other in the graphics. We approached Coach Mourouzis after practice to introduce ourselves and ask if we could get a photo of a helmet and maybe a quote or two.

He looked us up and down, thought about it for a second, and said "Okay, follow me". He took us to the equipment room, handed us a helmet to take photos of, and then gave us a quick couple of quotes about having to prepare well for a (at that time) undefeated Wabash team.

And then he thanked us for doing what we were doing to provide coverage for the game and said he hoped we had a good time on Saturday. I never forgot how kind and gracious he was during the middle of Bell week to a couple of random guys from Wabash. He was a great part of our wonderful rivalry. His family, his friends, and his former players are all in my thoughts.

LG
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.