East Region Fan Poll

Started by pg04, July 05, 2007, 09:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pg04

Another idea from the South Region...

They have 5 of the most prominent posters of that region vote for the top ten teams in the region each week of the season.  I'm figuring that we can do the same over here in the East Region, starting with a preseason ranking.  Please PM me if you'd like to be part of the "ranking" committee.

I'm not going to limit it to 5, however I only want serious people that will be part of it each week.  If you miss a week or your voting indicates that you are not taking it seriously, I will not include your ballot and you will not be allowed to do it again.  It's only fair. 

So, let me know.  I hope to have a Pre-season poll by the beginning of August!!

Tags

Quote from: pg04 on July 05, 2007, 09:44:54 PM
Another idea from the South Region...

They have 5 of the most prominent posters of that region vote for the top ten teams in the region each week of the season.  I'm figuring that we can do the same over here in the East Region, starting with a preseason ranking.  Please PM me if you'd like to be part of the "ranking" committee.

I'm not going to limit it to 5, however I only want serious people that will be part of it each week.  If you miss a week or your voting indicates that you are not taking it seriously, I will not include your ballot and you will not be allowed to do it again.  It's only fair. 

So, let me know.  I hope to have a Pre-season poll by the beginning of August!!

you're really going all out PG - you should play more golf or something, get out a little.

JQV

You should try to limit it to one poster per school, like the SID poll.

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: JoseQViper on July 06, 2007, 04:32:47 PM
You should try to limit it to one poster per school, like the SID poll.

good idea

union89

I would like to be involved in the voting process if possible.......sounds like an interesting idea.

Ralph Turner

Greetings pg04,

Matt Barnhart put the poll together.

He ran the poll and compiled the balloting.  He selected 2 posters from the Virginia area, 2 from Texas and one poster who had recent exposure in Pennsylvania and Texas, living in both areas.

It worked very well.  I believe that all of the South Region fans benefited in discussing the rankings in ways that were probably being discussed on the national level, while preserving the anonymity of Pat's process.  I don't think five is a magic number.  If you are happy with the quality of the voter, then we out-of-region fans will read it with great interest.

Good luck.

pg04

Quote from: Ralph Turner on July 07, 2007, 03:37:24 PM
Greetings pg04,

Matt Barnhart put the poll together.

He ran the poll and compiled the balloting.  He selected 2 posters from the Virginia area, 2 from Texas and one poster who had recent exposure in Pennsylvania and Texas, living in both areas.

It worked very well.  I believe that all of the South Region fans benefited in discussing the rankings in ways that were probably being discussed on the national level, while preserving the anonymity of Pat's process.  I don't think five is a magic number.  If you are happy with the quality of the voter, then we out-of-region fans will read it with great interest.

Good luck.

I think limiting to one per school is a good idea, as previous people have mentioned. 

pg04

Also, I still have no poster representing in the NJAC or MAC (or the NEFC)... anyone with interest from those conferences please let me know. 

boobyhasgameyo

Knightstalker

I would be willing to do it.  After all I can pretty much be unbiased, I have no football team to root for.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

pg04

Quote from: Knightstalker on July 07, 2007, 11:28:27 PM
I would be willing to do it.  After all I can pretty much be unbiased, I have no football team to root for.

OK, so so Far this is what the panel looks like:

Budcrew                    Utica
Superman/Upstate     Fisher
KnightStalker                 NJAC/Unaffiliated
Lewdogg                          RPI
PG04                             Brockport

Superman and upstate will be providing one ranking between the two of them due to me making the one person per school rule after I had agreed on both of them.

This is still a pretty small list of people, I thought there would be more interest.  Anyone else....We do need one MAC rep at least, and also would like a person From the NEFC and NESCAC.  Plus more from E8 and LL would be wanted too. 

union89

Quote from: Union89 on July 07, 2007, 02:04:27 PM
I would like to be involved in the voting process if possible.......sounds like an interesting idea.

Am I the invisible man...or simply unwanted.... ;D

pg04

Quote from: Union89 on July 08, 2007, 03:23:22 PM
Quote from: Union89 on July 07, 2007, 02:04:27 PM

Am I the invisible man...or simply unwanted.... ;D

oops, sorry.  Yes you are in too   :D

Ralph Turner

Over on the D3Hoops.com poster poll last season, Mr Ypsi, the person in charge of the data, would list the rankings anonymously.  That published record of the rankings of the teams (e.g, SJF getting these rankings:  2,2,2,3,3,3,7) tends to bring the outliers back to the consensus.  The person putting SJF 7th either knows something that no one else does, or has a grudge, or is just trying to manipulate poll position.

Sample Posters' Poll

AUPepBand

Pep might be interested if it doesn't take too much time...

The Harmon Football Forecast, at one time operated by Bob Harmon out of Circleville, NY and was about the only forecast out there that cared about the small colleges like Alfred, was a regular feature in the ALFRED SUN. Since the founder's death and its subsequent sale to CBS.Sportsline.com, it has abandoned the small colleges. Thus, Pep produces pigskin prognostications for D3football.com's Top 25 in addition to Upstate NY games, to complement Harmon's major college predictions.

Thus, Pep attempts to keep up on what the D3 schools are doing and, despite his loyal support of the Saxons, Pep tries to maintain objectivity in posting and rankings. However, Pep would not object to AUKaz00 serving in his place, provided he practices his clarinet!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!