Liberty League

Started by Pat Cummings, March 01, 2005, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UfanBill

Thanks for your game report Bartman. Congratulations to the Statesmen. I'm hoping they can continue their run. Also, nice job to RPI and Ithaca. The Liberty League once again makes it's mark in D3 sports.

Now I'm looking looking forward to a very competitive LL baseball season which starts soon. :)
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

What an opening weekend of the NCAA tournaments? Upsets a plenty. Gyms closed to fans. Incredible finishes. And so much more. Sunday night on Hoopsville we tried to cover it all.

The show started with extensive information on decisions surrounding COVID-19. We discussed decisions by Johns Hopkins and Amherst to close their doors to fans for the first weekend's games. We also had reactions and statements on the choice to return to Amherst this coming weekend for the Sectionals in women's basketball and the college's decision to, once again, ban fans from attending.

We also talked about the incredible stories coming out of the tournament of how teams are moving on and how seasons came to a sudden and emotional finish. 

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Pat Coleman, Editor-in-Chief, D3hoops.com
- Todd Raridon, No. 11 North Central (Ill.) men's coach
- Jackson Meshanic (sophomore) & Stefan Thompson (coach), Hobart men's team (Frank Rossi interviews)
- Greg Dunne, No. 18 Brockport men's coach
- Andy Rang, No. 23 Trine women's coach
- Pat Manning, Williams women's coach
- Bob Quillman & Ryan Scott

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Sunday's show On Demand in the following ways:
- Main page: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville
- Show page: http://bit.ly/2PWk7A7 (or www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2019-20/mar8)
- Facebook Live Simulcast: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
- YouTube Simulcast: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
- Team1 Sports: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville/
- Team1 Sports app (Android TV, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Roku) - you will either find it under the "live" section or search for the Hoopsville channel

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, the show is already available, so choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

All men's coaches appear in the NABC Coach's Corner. And all guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options.

Please also consider helping us out. We are accepting donations to the show - which many of you have asked about. The goal is to raise $7,500. We are approximately at $5,200 at the time of this posting.

To donate, click our PayPal link here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=BSRFLPUJQ9MKL&source=url
If you are interested in using Venmo, try this link: https://givebutter.com/ACF5w0

And thank you for your contributions.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Bartman

Quote from: UfanBill on March 08, 2020, 08:52:30 PM
Thanks for your game report Bartman. Congratulations to the Statesmen. I'm hoping they can continue their run. Also, nice job to RPI and Ithaca. The Liberty League once again makes it's mark in D3 sports.

Now I'm looking looking forward to a very competitive LL baseball season which starts soon. :)
Thanks Ufan...We need some LL support , similar to our support of Union in the Football playoffs...You've gotta like the second chance that the team got by making the NCAA tournament. This is a special team that can lock down on defense but has enough offensive weapons to win either from 3 point land or down low. I think they have a chance to win every game with solid rebounding , defense and overall toughness both physical and mental...they just need to limit turnovers and avoid cold shooting spells...first time ever in sweet sixteen, hope we make it past CNU for the elite eight..GOBART
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

And with that, the 2019-20 seasons have come to a sudden end.

What a week it has been in college basketball. Exactly a week ago, as we hit the air, the first signs that COVID-19 was going to impact the NCAA Tournaments was seen. Since then, it has been a whirlwind.  

Tonight on Hoopsville, we try and make sense of one of the stranger finishes in history for NCAA events. What started with isolated closings of gyms for games ends a week later in all games being called off through the rest of the academic year.

We will chat with those who were preparing for games on Friday and hear their reactions to the seasons coming to a close so quickly.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Michelle Ferenze, No. 10 Whitman women's coach
- John Krikorian, Christopher Newport men's coach
- Cheri Harrer, No. 9 Baldwin Wallace women's coach

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Thursday's show LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET in the following ways:
- Main page: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville
- Show page: http://bit.ly/3b1XeU3 (or www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2019-20/mar12)
- Facebook Live Simulcast: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
- YouTube Simulcast: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
- Team1 Sports: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville/
- Team1 Sports app (Android TV, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Roku) - you will either find it under the "live" section or search for the Hoopsville channel
Monday's show primarily covers the Atlantic, Central, South, and Northeast Regions. All men's coaches appear in the NABC Coach's Corner. And all guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline

All men's coaches appear in the NABC Coach's Corner. And all guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

Please also consider helping us out. We are accepting donations to the show - which many of you have asked about. The goal is to raise $7,500. We are approximately at $4,600 at the time of this posting.

To donate, click our PayPal link here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=BSRFLPUJQ9MKL&source=url

And thank you for your contributions.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Bartman

So disappointing that NCAA cancelled the tournament. Hobart made it all the way to the sweet 16 and the way we were playing , I think we had a decent shot at beating CNU. Oh well, great season for Hobart, RPI and Ithaca going 4-2 combined in the tournament. I think the LL should get some respect next year. Thanks to the Statesmen for a great season and to the Seniors for 4 years of giving it your all....we will miss  you. Our team will be in good hands and I expect us to win the LL next year ;D as long as this damn virus is gone.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

footballfan911

Well said Bartman. It was such a great weekend for the LL. What a sucker punch for Hobart, but especially for the Seniors who won and thought their dream was still alive. Hobart, Ithaca, RPI all had great seasons. Congrats to them as well as all the Seniors on great careers.

Bartman

Hobart was ranked #20 in the final D3.com poll after defeating excellent teams from St.Joseph(CT) and Springfield. Congratulations to Coach Stefan Thompson and a great Statesmen team. 
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

jmcozenlaw

First Team All-East Region!!!!

Hey Caz........waddup? :) :) :)

Bartman

Coach Thompson goes from East Rookie of the year in 2010 as Hobart's starting point guard to Coach of the year in 2020...an amazing Statesman....if you are a HS player just short of the D1 world, come play for Coach Thompson and become one of the Statesmen  ;D
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Greek Tragedy

Looks like Hobart loses Lescoe, Fluerizard and Allen while RPI loses Wayland and Davis. I looked at last year's preseason poll and was shocked RPI was picked 6th(?) and they won the league by two games. Granted, Ithaca, picked 1st, beat them twice, once in the regular season and once in the conference tournament. Ithaca loses their top two guys in Thompson and Alderete, I believe.

So, is it RPI's to lose next year??
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Caz Bombers

Jim Mullins retired today; Sean Burton promoted to head coach at IC.

https://twitter.com/BomberSports/status/1248714470463025153

stlawus

Ithaca loses some firepower along with Mullins retiring, but I bet they'll be fine with Burton at the helm.  They won't miss too big of a beat.    Next year is going to be interesting.   RPI and Hobart should be top dog, and Union only loses one player.  I can't imagine Skidmore will be as poor as they were this year.   My alma mater did not have a great season but they were quite young and affected by injuries all year, including one who was supposed to be the starting center.   Doesn't hurt to have the last 2 LL rookies of the year in the starting squad next season.    I'd keep an eye out for Clarkson next year too.   

Smitty Oom

Quote from: stlawus on April 13, 2020, 09:27:34 PM
Ithaca loses some firepower along with Mullins retiring, but I bet they'll be fine with Burton at the helm.  They won't miss too big of a beat.    Next year is going to be interesting.   RPI and Hobart should be top dog, and Union only loses one player.  I can't imagine Skidmore will be as poor as they were this year.   My alma mater did not have a great season but they were quite young and affected by injuries all year, including one who was supposed to be the starting center.   Doesn't hurt to have the last 2 LL rookies of the year in the starting squad next season.    I'd keep an eye out for Clarkson next year too.

It really should be an interesting battle in LL next year. A lot of good teams with quite a bit returning! Same goes with the SUNYAC, the east looks like it will be pretty strong, which is fun to see.

hopefan

Quote from: Smitty Oom on April 14, 2020, 09:51:49 AM

the east looks like it will be pretty strong, which is fun to see.

Just like the old days... eh Magic, Bear? ;) ;) ;)
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

magicman

Quote from: hopefan on April 14, 2020, 11:59:10 AM
Quote from: Smitty Oom on April 14, 2020, 09:51:49 AM

the east looks like it will be pretty strong, which is fun to see.

Just like the old days... eh Magic, Bear? ;) ;) ;)

It would be, hopefan. Both the Liberty League and the SUNYAC could have multiple teams go dancing next year. I just hope there is a next year in college basketball. :(