MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Depressing how this season ended, so how about next year?

WEBSTER      16-2      19-9      X Johnson – Sr      X Etienne      X Tankins – Sr      18 Brown Jr      X Clay – Sr      Ferrell – Sr      1- Hopp – Sr      Hughes/Macias   
   Blackburn      12-6      13-13      X  Hayes -Sr       X Ferrell – Sr       6 Aldridge      X Kirby      6 Stovall      X Wagner      8 Lopez      10 Love   
   Fontbonne      12-6      14-12      16 Jones      10 Woodcock      X Clark      4 Wadlington – Sr      X Rice      19 Coddington/14 Kleekamp      McKinney      18 Doolin   
   Greenville      12-6      14-13      X Grady – Sr      Bateman      X Williams – Sr      X Johnson      X Simmons – Sr      Contreras      Vinsel      Nixon – Sr   
   Eureka      11-7      16-9      X Bennington – Sr      X Dehm – Sr      X Juergens – Sr      12 Milsteadt       Daniels      X Hosea      Stork – Sr      Crawford/X Banks   
   MacMurray      7-11      9-16                                                   
   Westminster MO      7-11      8-16                                                   
   Iowa Wesleyan      5-13      8-17                                                   
   Principia      4-14      5-19                                                   
   Spalding      4-14      4-21                                                   

Webster loses senior starters in Johnson, Tankins and Clay. Etienne returns, as does Brown Jr, who started 18 games. Ferrell and Hopp are reserve seniors lost. That's a lot.

Blackburn loses senior starters Hayes and Ferrell, but return the next six guys in scoring.

Fontbonne returns Jones (16 starts), along with Woodcock (10 starts), Clark, Rice and Coddington (19 starts) and Kleekamp (14 starts). They lose Wadlington, who started four games.

Greenville loses senior starters Grady, Williams and Simmons, along with senior reserve Nixon. They return Bateman, Johnson, Contreras and Vinsel.

Eureka loses Bennington, Dehm and Juergens, along with Stork. Milsteadt, Daniels, Hosea, Crawford and Banks return.

Can the bottom half make up four games on Eureka? Fontbonne to win it??

Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

GU1999

GU jr's who had significant roles this year that you should add to the impactful returners are Chris Jackson, Dustin Bankowski.  Slightly less productive in 2019/20, although those who would have projectable roles in 20/21 are Justin Cross, Isiah Dortch & Elijah Wychers. 

GU had its adjustment year this season. 

It will also be interesting to learn what happened to Quincy Pinkard.  He was having an very good start to the season, but did not play after the January 8 game against Mac.

WUPHF

GU1999

This is the most representation for the SLIAC since inception.  Very gracious of the committee.

Great honor for Josh Johnson who was a great representative for the league.  His presentation at the NCAA post game presser was super classy.  Dude has a bright future. 

As for Bennington, to make the list  as a player on a non-SLIAC-tourney team you need to be a baaaad man.  And he is exactly that. 

GU1999

With the cancellation of the Spring season, I wonder if the All-Sports 🏆 standings for completed season just solidifies?  If yes, Webster & GU share the trophy.  This is a first for GU. 

https://www.sliac.org/information/Awards_Honors/All-Sports/2019-20

WUPHF

The SLIAC may follow the lead of the Director's Cup and forgo the all-sports award.

GU1999

Good point.  they may or may not...  🤷🏼‍♂️

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Learfield shut down the overall cup for the NCAA... I am sure conferences will do the same if they haven't announced it already.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WUPHF

In the Spring, I floated the idea of a more open admissions policy at Principia.

I have a friend that works there and so I know it is something they discuss from time to time.

I did see something interesting in the D3Playbook newsletter today.

Today he wrote about a report on endowments here is his listed of Top 10 endowments per full-time student...

Top-10 Endowments per Student

Principia ($1,582,250)
    MIT ($1,533,234)
    Pomona ($1,486,314)
    Williams ($1,380,957)
    Swarthmore ($1,370,157)
    Amherst ($1,332,588)
    Caltech ($1,332,457)
    Grinnell ($1,224,100)
    Bowdoin ($953,864)
    Wellesley ($912,050)

I knew Principia had money, but I had no idea...

I do think this endowment supports the other Principia campuses as well.

For those who do not subscribe to the newsletter, do it using the following link.  You will not regret it.

https://d3playbook.us3.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=82cfdd18fcc828da188291e8a&id=f4649c1bfa&utm_source=d3Playbook&utm_campaign=8dddfc11b0-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_03_23_12_08&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f4649c1bfa-8dddfc11b0-378941921

hopefan

The following is a quote from Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com writer, over in the CCIW room today, 3/27/20

"D3 athletic depts don't rely on NCAA money like the big boys,  although closing campuses early is sure to create budget pressure of its own."

It plays to my "in the back of my head" concern.... how will the low enrollment SLIAC schools survive this pandemic... probably half or more of our schools were already in very bad financial shape, can they recover from this situation....

very scary
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

WUPHF

Yeah, we had a more extensive conversation how the Coronavirus-related closures might affect small colleges and universities a few weeks ago.

One other factor I have been thining about: colleges such as Webster and Fontbonne were able to grow non-traditional undergraduate along with graduate and professional enrollment after the 2008-2009 recession but who knows...

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: hopefan on March 27, 2020, 09:04:58 AM
  The following is a quote from Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com writer, over in the CCIW room today, 3/27/20

"D3 athletic depts don't rely on NCAA money like the big boys,  although closing campuses early is sure to create budget pressure of its own."

It plays to my "in the back of my head" concern.... how will the low enrollment SLIAC schools survive this pandemic... probably half or more of our schools were already in very bad financial shape, can they recover from this situation....

very scary

It comes quickly:

https://wlds.com/news/macmurray-college-to-close/
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

GU1999

GU1999

https://www.eureka.edu/macmurray

I did not see a landing page on the Blackburn site.

GU, Eureka and Blackburn were the three SLIAC schools listed in the Mac press release as having transfer agreements negotiated.