MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

GU1999

Very nice notification article.  Your list looks like the full list with includes the non-SLIAC schools. 

This is just so dang sad.  I hope this is the end of it.  I know IWU was pretty public with their struggles a few years ago. 

WUPHF

I so hate to hear that.  Best of luck to everyone associated with MacMurray.  174 years!

hopefan

No No No.... like losing a very good friend.....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Gregory Sager

It's sad to see MacMurray close its doors for good, although I can't say that I'm terribly surprised.

This is a basketball forum, of course, but my memories of the Highlanders will be in two other sports. In football, MacMurray lost to North Park ten years ago this coming fall by the score of 70-7, a notable score in that it came in the midst of an era in which NPU's floundering football program was suffering through an 89-game CCIW losing streak that spanned thirteen seasons. The Vikings were employing the triple option offense at that point, and they ran up 555 rushing yards against MacMurray that day in Chicago.

A happier memory, from the MacMurray point of view, was the success of the Highlanders men's soccer program in the '70s and early '80s, and again in the early '90s, as MacMurray was one of the first few D3 schools in Illinois, along with Wheaton and Rockford, to both adopt the sport and to really emphasize it. MacMurray appeared in 11 D3 men's soccer national tournaments from 1974 to 1992, compiling a respectable 10-13 record in them. The Highlanders made the D3 Final Four in 1974 and 1976, finishing fourth both times. MacMurray was a real pioneer as far as midwestern D3 soccer is concerned.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: y_jack_lok on April 05, 2020, 11:54:32 AM
A pessimistic scenario. Could it affect basketball as well? https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/04/04/how-long-until-sports-can-return-you-might-not-like-answer/

I expect we'll have actual games back long before we have spectators.  Around here, even the stores allowed to be open are limited to 10 or 20% of their stated fire capacity.  I think we'll see games without fans for a while, then games with limited capacity and distanced seating for a while, before things get back to normal.  I suspect any fall college sports you watch will likely be via livestream.  They may let students attend who already interact with each other on campus, but I'm guessing most colleges will open in the fall with some stringent campus visitation policies.

I was talking with my wife last night and we were wondering if having your temperature taken will now become the norm to get on an airplane the way removing your shoes became normal after 9/11.

I think life will eventually get back to normal, but there will definitely be some lasting changes.  They may take your temperature to get into a pro sports arena in the future.  Who knows?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

y_jack_lok

^^^ I hope you are right. So many preventative measures will have to be put in place in order to make sure players in all sports are kept from exposure that would result in virus spread. A very daunting task.

As to the future, I suppose "life will eventually get back to normal", as you say, but that "eventually" is farther away than we'd like to believe. I think the prospect of lasting changes you mention will also result in a new normal. We will, for quite a while, live in a world that results in more than just having our temperature taken to get on planes or enter gyms, stadiums, movie theaters, etc. Movement of all kinds is likely to be more restrictive for a while (I think well into 2021 and perhaps 2022). Until this virus is fully under control and a proven vaccine available and administered free to everyone, we face a serious risk if we let our guard down.

WUPHF

It will be an interesting year ahead.

If the private sector were provided more room to innovate, we might determine that those who have had the Coronavirus have immunity and individuals could go for serology exams to become certified as such.

Imagine showing up at Grant Gymnasium having received pre-approval to enter the gym?

In my opinion, if we are unable to enter gyms in November due to Coronavirus concerns, then it is a non-issue as Fall sports will have been cancelled and Spring sports will be postponed as students continue to enroll in online coursework.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: WUPHF on April 07, 2020, 01:38:17 PM
It will be an interesting year ahead.

If the private sector were provided more room to innovate, we might determine that those who have had the Coronavirus have immunity and individuals could go for serology exams to become certified as such.

Imagine showing up at Grant Gymnasium having received pre-approval to enter the gym?

In my opinion, if we are unable to enter gyms in November due to Coronavirus concerns, then it is a non-issue as Fall sports will have been cancelled and Spring sports will be postponed as students continue to enroll in online coursework.

For economic reasons, I do think they'll find ways to let activities get back to some relative normalcy, while still keeping crowd numbers low.  Whether that's August or November or next May, I have no idea, but I do think we'll have a lot of things opened back up with crowd restrictions for quite a while.  Honestly, for most d3 basketball programs, even limits of 100 people aren't really going to be a problem, crowd-wise.

I just don't think we're going to go from lots of restrictions to none.  There will be some kind of in between that might end up being the new normal.

WUPHF

Colleges and universities are going to do everything they can to avoid having students do a gap-semester or gap-year in 2020-2021.  This could become a big issue if the Department of Education decides to extend loan deferrals.

But colleges and universities are also not going to risk looking like Fallwell Junior and Liberty University.

I am not sure how many institutions will be able to field teams without on-campus housing, for example, and I cannot imagine opening the dorms a semester prior to opening up the classrooms.

hopefan

Quote from: WUPHF on April 07, 2020, 02:49:35 PM
Colleges and universities are going to do everything they can to avoid having students do a gap-semester or gap-year in 2020-2021.  This could become a big issue if the Department of Education decides to extend loan deferrals.

But colleges and universities are also not going to risk looking like Fallwell Junior and Liberty University.

I am not sure how many institutions will be able to field teams without on-campus housing, for example, and I cannot imagine opening the dorms a semester prior to opening up the classrooms.

WUPIFFFF... I fall far short of your knowledge regarding Colleges and Universities...I was curious about your reference to Fallwell Junior and Liberty University... can you explain?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: WUPHF on April 07, 2020, 02:49:35 PM

I think a lot of campuses will open, because a lot of them will never open again if they don't.  Obviously that depends on how the hospitalization curve is moving, but I do think the rate of increase in most places this week has been lower than expected.  Maybe that ends up extending our social distancing restrictions rather than shortening them?  That's also a possibility, too.

WUPHF

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on April 08, 2020, 08:14:24 AM
I think a lot of campuses will open, because a lot of them will never open again if they don't.  Obviously that depends on how the hospitalization curve is moving, but I do think the rate of increase in most places this week has been lower than expected.  Maybe that ends up extending our social distancing restrictions rather than shortening them?  That's also a possibility, too.

Agreed!

Quote from: hopefan on April 08, 2020, 07:01:26 AM
I fall far short of your knowledge regarding Colleges and Universities...I was curious about your reference to Fallwell Junior and Liberty University... can you explain?

Liberty was already controversial and good click bait before the Coronavirus thanks in part to a stories of how the University handles financial matters.  The claim is that Fall well has used the University to enrich his family and friends.

The latest controversy was that Liberty told students that they must return to campus after Spring Break and complete classes online.  Liberty is well known for online degree programs and could have moved to online learning much easier than most institutions.  I am not sure of the latest, but they were not going to offer refunds for housing costs but would instead offer a credit for on-campus housing in the Fall.

hopefan

Thanks Wuuuu   +1.   It caught my interest because a young lady from the old home town of Eureka Mo had posted how excited she was about being accepted in Liberty's R.N. degree program and I had sent her a quick note of congrats....