Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HScoach

Year in Review:   How about the amazing turn around of Heidelberg under Mike Hallett?  From 36 game losing streak to first ever playoff berth in just a handful of years.

And it took a blocked Baldwin Wallace FG attempt in the final seconds for H'Berg to survive week 10.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

K-Mack

Quote from: USee on November 11, 2012, 05:09:38 PM
I think you could gather a list of single plays that shaped the playoff hopes of this crazy pool C year. We don't know yet but the end of the Bethel/Concordia-M game may be one example. Another could be some play/game in the NCAC that resulted in the wackiest tiebreaker ever.

It was one of the wackiest. The year the Centennial had five 5-2 teams I don't think will ever be topped.

Agree on the additions and suggestions so far.

Heidelberg's story is not full written yet either. They could play three playoff games maybe. Would certainly get me off the hook for ranking the OAC No. 2 again lol
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

USee

Keith, you were the first and only one to call elm hurst in the playoffs!

K-Mack

Quote from: USee on November 11, 2012, 10:47:26 PM
Keith, you were the first and only one to call elm hurst in the playoffs!

Truth. Maybe the best advertisement for Kickoff yet. Called Heidelberg in that article too.

Also said Susquehanna would win the Centennial. :( ... Went back and forth between Susque, F&M and McDaniel.

That's why they play the games.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Toby Taff

During the Texas A&M Bama game one of the announcers commented that he didn't think a Big 12 offense would be effective in the SEC. Makes me think that the ASC scoring offenses might be indicative of whats going on in the region (especially in Texas) at all levels. While not necessarily Year in Review material, certainly material for something somewhere down the road.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

K-Mack

Quote from: Toby Taff on November 12, 2012, 11:59:04 PM
During the Texas A&M Bama game one of the announcers commented that he didn't think a Big 12 offense would be effective in the SEC. Makes me think that the ASC scoring offenses might be indicative of whats going on in the region (especially in Texas) at all levels. While not necessarily Year in Review material, certainly material for something somewhere down the road.

Good thought. I appreciate that.

Odd comment since Texas A&M's offense was a Big 12 offense until this season, and they beat Bama. Did they make a switch?
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

hazzben

Quote from: K-Mack on November 13, 2012, 12:52:53 AM

Odd comment since Texas A&M's offense was a Big 12 offense until this season, and they beat Bama. Did they make a switch?

I'm guessing the commentator was admitting his surprise that aTm, freshly from the Big 12, was actually finding success in the SEC.

That said, Sumlin, their new HC came over from Houston this year. So the offense is new, but it is actually just as in keeping with the Big 12 as ever with the changes.

K-Mack

Quote from: hazzben on November 13, 2012, 01:34:15 AM

I'm guessing the commentator was admitting his surprise that aTm, freshly from the Big 12, was actually finding success in the SEC.

That said, Sumlin, their new HC came over from Houston this year. So the offense is new, but it is actually just as in keeping with the Big 12 as ever with the changes.

Gotcha.

The more things we've added here at D-III, the less attention I've paid to D-I. I know virtually nothing about what took place last weekend except for A&M beating Alabama, and U-Va beating Miami, only because I just read a story about it for my FT job.

I am enjoying football plenty, however.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

HScoach

The announcer must have forgotten that all of A&M's players instantly got a .10 faster and 20 lbs bigger once the school switched conferences.  SEC colored glasses are kind of the inverse of the TV camera than instantly puts on 10 to 20 pounds.   ::)
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

pg04

Quote from: HScoach on November 13, 2012, 06:07:39 AM

The announcer must have forgotten that all of A&M's players instantly got a .10 faster and 20 lbs bigger once the school switched conferences.  SEC colored glasses are kind of the inverse of the TV camera than instantly puts on 10 to 20 pounds.   ::)

Texas A&M Has a pretty good QB this year. QBs like him have done well in the SEC previously.

Toby Taff

Quote from: pg04 on November 13, 2012, 02:17:41 PM
Quote from: HScoach on November 13, 2012, 06:07:39 AM

Texas A&M Has a pretty good QB this year. QBs like him have done well in the SEC previously.
Good QB is putting it mildly. As a guy who grew up with the old SWC and then the Big 12, the SEC rules all thing really bothers me. (Doesn't help that my family is from north central AL so its ROLL TIDE!!! all the time) I think judging a conferences SOS based on how they play themselves is ridiculous. It does my heart good to see a team that was just in the pack most years in the Big 12, do what A&M has done in the SEC.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

Toby Taff

I would add that the degree to which 7 on 7 is taken seriously in this state has added to the growth of highly skilled skill position players in the region. Look at the number of Texas boys playing QB across the country.

Ralph Turner

I have not run the numbers with the switch of Texas A&M to the SEC.

However, back in the mid 1990's, Arkansas' departure from the old Southwest Conference to the SEC raised the mean freshman class entrance exam (SAT/ACT) scores of the member institutions in both conferences.

K-Mack

Okay, this D-I talk stops here.

Updated year in review brainstorm. Still open to suggestions

- Sam Durley 736 passing yards
- Baldwin-Wallace suspension
- SRSU vs. TLU (and all the scoring in ASC)
- Craziest Pool C ever
- Bethel-Concordia ending
- Dutchman Shoes & Cortaca Jug endings
- UW-W going 7-3 after 3 straight titles and 7 Stagg Bowls in a row
- a list of single plays that shaped the playoff hopes of this crazy pool C
- What appeared to be a deep Pool B cannibalizing itself and how that happened.
- Most unlikely Pool A teams (not really that original)
- All the Gagliardi drama, is this or isn't this his last season, should he retire, etc.
- Team with high expectations most undone by injuries (e.g. IWU), team that overcame the most injuries to keep competing (e.g. UST, et al.) including the details of who got hurt, how and for how long
- How about the amazing turn around of Heidelberg under Mike Hallett?  From 36 game losing streak to first ever playoff berth in just a handful of years.
- And it took a blocked Baldwin Wallace FG attempt in the final seconds for H'Berg to survive week 10.

- Tim McNerney. (Also Bates player) ... W&J making playoffs.
- James Clay 2,000 rushing yards
- Wesley's insane schedule (also NWC, MIAC teams)

Thanks to FCGrizzliesGrad, USee, Hazzben, HSCoach for their contributions so far.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Ralph Turner

My thought about Pool B's cannabilizing themselves is that this was basically the old SCAC just playing up to its potential.  Were this the 2011 season, we would be talking about the great race for a Pool A bid.