BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_b

Quote from: Viking Blue on April 28, 2011, 06:41:53 AM
North Park beat Concordia of Wisconsin last night at home, 4-0.  Travis Boyer struck out 12 in seven innings and Brad Medina hit HR #5 for the Vikings.

Good call on Boyer earlier in the week, Greg.
A correction (on my part) -- Boyer fanned a baker's dozen.  I'll change it on my website later.  It was a close game till the 8th when Athan's single scored Yunker (who made a great slide around the catcher) and Medina followed with his two-run round-tripper.

CCIWFAN6

IWU has an extremely important in-region doubleheader against Webster today (weather permitting).  After taking 2 of 3 from North Park, Augustana, and Carthage, it is imperative they win this matchup is they want any shot at getting an at-large.  Even with they still probably have some work to do.

Gregory Sager

The first regional rankings were released today by the NCAA:

Central Region
1 Coe 18-9 20-10
2 Carthage 11-5 18-8
3 Buena Vista 17-9 18-11
4 Illinois Wesleyan 17-7 19-10
5 Augustana 12-9 19-9
6 Washington U. 25-15 25-16

Given the fact that NPU is 21-5 in regional play (and 25-7 overall, although that's not relevant), the Vikings must be held back in the eyes of the committee by a weak SOS or something.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

BlueJay Boy

Very Interesting - I am not sure that a couple of those teams are that strong and the Vikings are playing very well. Big series this weekend between North Central and Augustana.

BigPoppa

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Titan Q

IWU sophomore 1B Kevin Callahan had his second 2 HR inning of the season today...

http://www.iwusports.com/news/2011/4/28/BB_0428114448.aspx?path=baseball

Callahan is just an absolute stud.  He is hitting .477 with 12 HR and 42 RBI, and has an on-base % of .590.  He is heading towards 1st Team All-American status.

metaljacket

North Park not getting in the top 6????

I guess it doesnt matter if they are there now or not, they will probably be there in the end

Mr. Ypsi

Ricky Angel still gives BigPoppa nightsweats.  Kevin Callahan is having a season Ricky never had.  Kevin is only a sophomore.

BigPoppa, enjoy! ;D

[Now may Kevin be especially a Carthage-killer, not just a stud in general! :D]

In terms of CCIW-only stats, Kevin is
 Batting average: .531 (.049 above 2nd place)
 On base %: .642 (.100 above 2nd place)
 Slugging %: 1.020 (.242 above 2nd place)

Barring a complete meltdown, the race for MVP is over.

AND Jason Pankau is way out front for pitcher of the year.

forheavendial4999

Any insight on how Callahan has transformed this year? Last year he was just a decent hitter even with the juiced bats.

BigPoppa

Quote from: forheavendial4999 on April 29, 2011, 02:49:22 AM
Any insight on how Callahan has transformed this year? Last year he was just a decent hitter even with the juiced bats.

Somebody better test his urine:)

Viking Blue

Quote from: metaljacket on April 28, 2011, 11:39:13 PM

North Park not getting in the top 6????

I guess it doesnt matter if they are there now or not, they will probably be there in the end

Exactly.  It takes a while for people to notice a program, and North Park's rise has been a consistent one.  My guess is that some may be still waiting to see if this team is for real.  And that's OK.  As exciting as it was to see the Vikings in the Top 25, mid-season rankings truly do not mean a thing.  And if it serves as a little extra motivation for the team, so be it.  There is still work to be done.

BigPoppa

IF NPU deserves to be there in the end, they'll be there in the end. My guess is they will make an appearance next week if they take care of business this weekend.

Viking Blue

NP 1, Wheaton 0, top 6. 

Zack Deutscher homered for the Vikings.  Steve Kuligowski has shut Wheaton down on one hit through 5.

Viking Blue

North Park beats Wheaton, 3-2.  According to livestats, Kuligowski struck out Trey Martin (who represented the winning run) to end his complete-game effort.

Nice "road" win for the Vikes.

mr_b

North Park hangs on for a 3-2 win over Wheaton.  Kuligowski and Martin both pitched very well -- and following the game on live stats is more nerve-wracking than seeing the action from the dugout :P