D-3 Players in the Pros

Started by Knightstalker, August 18, 2005, 02:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HSCTiger74

Three D3 alums in the Panthers-Dolphins game Saturday night:
    Jason Trusnik of ONU signed with the Panthers in the off-season to help shore up their crummy special teams play. He didn't do anything outstanding in the game, but he's an old pro at this point and all the projections by the local writers have him making the final roster.
    Michael Preston of Heidelberg saw a lot of minutes at wide receiver for the Dolphins, with both the first and second units. He was only targeted once but made the catch and picked up a few yards after, plus his downfield blocking looked pretty good as well.
    Andrew Franks of RPI handled the place kicking in the first half for Miami. He nailed both his PATs and his two kickoffs both went out of the end zone for touchbacks, but the other kicker is a veteran so I don't know if it's an actual competition or if Franks is just in training camp to keep the other guy from overworking. Still, he showed a good strong leg and I could see him kicking for somebody at some point.
TANSTAAFL

olddog

Thanks HSC, I will be on the look out for those guys.

Marpet is improving game to game. Good sign, I like how he moves his feet. I started last night.

Kumerow did not get in until late, caught a couple passes, on his first catch the FS bounced off him for another 7 yards after catch. He looks pretty tall out there.

California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

ITH radio

Big night for RPI grad Andrew Franks going 2-2 on FGs (32 & 51 yards) and kicking 2 touchbacks in a 13-9 win for the Dolphins, their first of the NFL preseason.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

olddog

TE Ezeakunni from Chapman was cut by the Bengals. He was a late invite to camp after injuries. They cut down to three TE.
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Browns signed UWW Matt Blanchard to the practice squad yesterday.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Bartman

Ali Marpet ,starting RG for the Bucaneers , just contributed to an NFL WIN this week......a far road from Hastings HS and Hobart College
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: Bartman on September 23, 2015, 06:58:30 PM
Ali Marpet ,starting RG for the Bucaneers , just contributed to an NFL WIN this week......a far road from Hastings HS and Hobart College

Nice Article on Ali Marpet
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Bartman

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on November 03, 2015, 11:41:14 AM

Marpet ranked second best guard in NFL for run blocking .....amazing learning machine...projects to All Pro in a few years....no wonder Hobart running game struggling this year...
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

HSCTiger74

Quote from: Bartman on November 11, 2015, 08:14:22 AM
Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on November 03, 2015, 11:41:14 AM

Marpet ranked second best guard in NFL for run blocking .....amazing learning machine...projects to All Pro in a few years....no wonder Hobart running game struggling this year...

The Bucs had a second D3 player on the field during yesterday's game at Carolina. Rookie WR Donteea Dye from Heidelberg played the majority of snaps with the starting offense and had several catches, as well as a couple of decent downfield blocks. Not necessarily Marpet level, but he looked pretty good.
TANSTAAFL

Bartman

Ali Marpet, gets drafted in the second round and then is the starting RG for Tampa Bay....now is selected for  NFL  All Rookie team (http://www.fingerlakesdailynews.com/news/details.cfm?clientid=16&id=204130#.Vqd74OlLJhM). My Giants are keeping an eye on him when his contract is up....What a story and what a role model..he is truly a humble , hard working yet a very confident young man...GO D3..GO BART!
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Hawks88

jknezek

Good for him!  At the same time, yeesh, another apparently underfunded spring football league. These seem to pop up at least as far as practices every year and fail before the season ends.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: jknezek on January 31, 2016, 05:27:34 PM
Good for him!  At the same time, yeesh, another apparently underfunded spring football league. These seem to pop up at least as far as practices every year and fail before the season ends.

But you gotta admire their chutzpah - Major League Football, indeed! :o ;D

Ron Boerger

Profile of Mr. Belsterling on the MLFB site:  http://www.mlfbmedia.com/meet-the-eight-mlfb-franchise-players/ - seems an odd choice for a "franchise" player as his collegiate experience equates to exactly one decent-but-not-spectacular season of D3 ball.     All the best to him, just the same.

According to their "draft tracker" there were 69 rounds in total.  Highest other D3 name I saw (http://www.mlfbmedia.com/live-territorial-draft-tracker/) was John Carroll's QB Mark Myers in the 18th round, but I could have easily missed someone.   Mount Union DB Isaiah Scott went in the 22nd, Texas Lutheran's K Tyler Brandenburg in 38th.

Rounds 41-69 here:  http://www.mlfbmedia.com/national-draft-tracker/

Will be interesting to see how many of these draftees are interested enough to make it to camp.  Also be interesting to see where they are playing; as far as I can determine no announcement has been made and their page entitiled "the eight cities" has zero actual locations listed (http://www.mlfbmedia.com/about-mlfb-the-eight-cities/).   A page created on December 10th (http://www.mlfbmedia.com/major-league-football-to-announce-franchise-cities-for-2016-spring-debut/) says they're "to announce franchise cities" but other than a picture of San Antonio's Alamodome there isn't anything saying what they are. 

jknezek

Yep. The lack of concrete plans is why I feel this stuff is mostly vaporware. We've seen it before. Minor League Football is a very expensive proposition. The teams are large, so the payroll is large, relative to the gate. The travel expense is immense with that many players, and the insurance is crippling. The expenses make minor league football a difficult pipe dream. It will need to be subsidized by the NFL if it is ever to become a reality. And that means the NFL has to realize it is worth the expense to NOT have players being brought in off the street late in the season to fill out depleted rosters.

I also think regional leagues, like soccer's PDL, is the best bet. Especially now that PDL is tied to MLS. For football you have to be able to bus the teams around, because there is no way you can afford flights. So set up 4 regional leagues of 4 teams each. Each team plays a home and home within the region making for 6 game seasons in May/June, then the regional champs play a 2 round playoff. That takes you to the end of June, and players can rest a bit before the lucky ones get called in to NFL camps. After NFL cut down day, the minor league teams reform in September, practice for 2 weeks, then run a single round robin for 3 weeks within the region. Champs do playoffs again and that creates a pool of players with 3-5 game weeks experience ready for late season NFL call ups in playing shape.

I could see something like Panama City Beach, Mobile, Birmingham, Chattanooga, or Jackson MS forming a league. All cities with limited FBS football and no professional football. In the north east you could do Providence, Harrisonburg, Brooklyn, and Hartford. I'm sure someone could figure a midwest league and a west coast league with bus distance teams.