2017 Season - National Perspective

Started by D3soccerwatcher, August 11, 2017, 10:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

It's a rhythm thing. Soccer, like basketball sometimes, is a game that has rhythm and flow to it just as much for a broadcaster as it does for a player. Sometimes when I'm calling a soccer match I get the weird feeling that this must be what it's like to be a rapper. I just get into that zone of calling pass to pass, with interceptions and tackles and identifying field spots part of the flow as well, and I almost feel as though I'm reciting what I'm seeing in iambic pentameter. It's the weirdest thing. I punctuate with time and score, because NPU typically doesn't have graphics (our playoff matches were an exception, as we used an outside production company for those), but even those after awhile become part of the rhythm for me. It's almost self-hypnotic.

Basketball has a bit of that, more so than other sports, but it's choppier and more broken up than soccer. Of course, compared to soccer, every sport (with the exception of hockey, which I've never called) is choppy and broken up. I've come to realize that it's part of the fun of calling soccer matches; it's almost a quasi-musical experience if, as I do, you're pretty diligent about identifying each pass whenever possible. The other wonderful thing is that, if you know the game and you can see a play unfolding to become a scoring opportunity, you can modulate your voice and build up to it in a more natural way than you can for other sports.

Of course, it would be different with a partner. I've never worked with a partner for soccer, but I have for football and basketball.

With volleyball, half the time I'm just trying to catch my breath.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

blooter442

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 18, 2018, 09:54:51 PM
It's a rhythm thing. Soccer, like basketball sometimes, is a game that has rhythm and flow to it just as much for a broadcaster as it does for a player. Sometimes when I'm calling a soccer match I get the weird feeling that this must be what it's like to be a rapper. I just get into that zone of calling pass to pass, with interceptions and tackles and identifying field spots part of the flow as well, and I almost feel as though I'm reciting what I'm seeing in iambic pentameter. It's the weirdest thing. I punctuate with time and score, because NPU typically doesn't have graphics (our playoff matches were an exception, as we used an outside production company for those), but even those after awhile become part of the rhythm for me. It's almost self-hypnotic.

Basketball has a bit of that, more so than other sports, but it's choppier and more broken up than soccer. Of course, compared to soccer, every sport (with the exception of hockey, which I've never called) is choppy and broken up. I've come to realize that it's part of the fun of calling soccer matches; it's almost a quasi-musical experience if, as I do, you're pretty diligent about identifying each pass whenever possible. The other wonderful thing is that, if you know the game and you can see a play unfolding to become a scoring opportunity, you can modulate your voice and build up to it in a more natural way than you can for other sports.

Really interesting analysis, and one I agree with -- the rhythm of soccer is a large part of what I find appealing.

I have mentioned before on these boards (on various topics) that I was very much a late-bloomer in terms of appreciating soccer. I did not really "get" the game growing up -- I thought it somewhat monotonous, or perhaps "shallow and pedantic". People aimlessly running around a field kicking a ball (my interpretation of the game) didn't seem very interesting. However, my family has relatives in the North West of the UK who are big Liverpool fans, and when my dad and I went over to visit them when I was 12, they took us to Anfield. It was a fun experience, but I still wasn't hooked. A couple of years later I found myself playing FIFA with friends on a ski trip. It wasn't until that point that I came to know more about LFC, the players, etc. and I found it intriguing -- almost like a puzzle, if you will, as there was not a ton of media interest in the U.S. at the time. I have been back to the UK twice since then, 2014 and 2017, went to Anfield and White Hart Lane the first time and Selhurst Park and Vicarage Road the second, and really appreciated the experiences -- going to a professional game in Europe is like no other sport experience I've ever had.

I came to enjoy soccer once I began to understand how impressive certain parts of the game are. Hitting a shot upper 90, whether placed or powered, not only takes a good bit of skill but is also visually appealing. What really drew me to soccer, however, was my understanding that the game is (usually) moving: no timeouts, no TV breaks (aside from half), and a certain flow to the game that is unique. The fact that the clock is always running (particularly in pro matches) is emblematic of this. Watching an NFL or MLB game on TV is a chore to me -- my attention span does not appreciate the consistent stop-start nature of the NFL and the innumerable breaks, nor do I enjoy watching a batter go in and out of the batter's box. The NHL is probably the American sports league I watch the most, and I do follow the Bruins, although I am by no means a diehard. That said, I can watch soccer all day -- whatever the level, whoever the teams.

Gregory Sager

I should mention that I can find plenty to enjoy about all eight sports (football, men's and women's soccer, women's volleyball, men's and women's basketball, baseball, and softball) that I announce. I don't think I could do justice to my job if I didn't.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

d4_Pace

So for those of you that have been following (or anyone else that is interested).  Tufts has put out the last three episodes of the documentary following this team's season.  These three detail the program's first NESCAC Championship, the two NCAA shootout victories, and then the heart-breaking loss to Brandeis.  The last episode has all of the seniors talk about their feelings losing in OT and what the program meant to them (that part starts around 10 minutes in after the guys spoof radio show).  It gives a really good look into how much being a part of these programs means to the guys for everyone that never had a chance to play or for those of us wishing we could go back. 

Episode 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrCvPFFIcgY&t=3s

Episode 14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd1D6SBm4yM

Episode 15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unImbWrWdZw

And if Conor Coleman's prediction at the end that "now we have finally cleared out the deadweight" is true then the rest of the country better look out. 

blooter442

Quote from: d4_Pace on January 22, 2018, 10:44:16 PM
So for those of you that have been following (or anyone else that is interested).  Tufts has put out the last three episodes of the documentary following this team's season.  These three detail the program's first NESCAC Championship, the two NCAA shootout victories, and then the heart-breaking loss to Brandeis.  The last episode has all of the seniors talk about their feelings losing in OT and what the program meant to them (that part starts around 10 minutes in after the guys spoof radio show).  It gives a really good look into how much being a part of these programs means to the guys for everyone that never had a chance to play or for those of us wishing we could go back. 

And if Conor Coleman's prediction at the end that "now we have finally cleared out the deadweight" is true then the rest of the country better look out.

After seeing the Sweet 16 recapped in Episode 14, I had half-guessed that there wouldn't be a recap of the next game. Personally I wouldn't have blamed you all for not wanting to re-live that game, regardless of my interest. Fair play for seeing the series to its conclusion, and to the seniors for providing genuine reflection, and really well-done on the cinematography front.

Best part of the series recapped in the final episode: Kevin Halliday dancing to the Bro Safari/Dillon Francis song.

rolldeisroll

Quote from: blooter442 on January 23, 2018, 09:16:18 AM

After seeing the Sweet 16 recapped in Episode 14, I had half-guessed that there wouldn't be a recap of the next game. Personally I wouldn't have blamed you all for not wanting to re-live that game, regardless of my interest. Fair play for seeing the series to its conclusion, and to the seniors for providing genuine reflection, and really well-done on the cinematography front.

Best part of the series recapped in the final episode: Kevin Halliday dancing to the Bro Safari/Dillon Francis song.

I have heard through the grapevine that Brandeis filmed the whole year as well, and is putting out a recap of the whole year. Not sure what it'll be like though.

Mr.Right

I watched the whole Episode 15 and I must say you have piqued my interest as now I kind of want start from the beginning...like a netflix series..Can you throw up a link to all of them if possible. Couple of observations just from this Episode 15

1. Whoever is behind the scenes doing all the editing / cutting / producing and whatnot has some talent and hopefully gets into this field whatever it might be.

2. Halliday and Zazzali are complete goofballs but in a funny way. Very quick and witty and they basically finish off e/o sentences. I am guessing when Zazzali is missing then Halliday has some great conversations with his shadow. If they could find a 3rd from the squad who can do impressions then maybe they could bring the whole show on the road. Maybe Zazzali fell asleep during geography class or the History of Indochina but I am hoping for the sake of the credibility of Tufts admissions that Zazzali was a Baseball Tip.

3. Johnson must just sweep the women off their feet with his exanimate personality. It is really hard to tell because of the editing but usually GK's are the craziest of the bunch in my experience. Maybe he is just not as quick as his peers or was a little camera shy. No all kidding aside he seems like a really good kid.

4. Zinner is mad serious. Looks like he has his game face on 24-7.

5. Kulcsar looks the complete opposite sounds completely burnt even when sober.

6. Coleman I still say might need a mild sedative before any serious interviews. I have trouble focusing in on what he is saying because I feel like he is almost like a spastic octopus and I am waiting for an arm or leg to come flying at the camera. No in all seriousness he seems to be like an octopus because they are known to have 3 hearts. He is seems like a true leader and willing to defend his teammates at any moment..

All good kids and I probably have it all wrong but anyway send the link if you can

d4_Pace

Mr. Right,
All of the videos were made by Dexter Eichhorst, which is why he didn't get as much screen time as the other seniors. 
Here is the link to the rest of the series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVR3PP-bb84&list=PLwNLoOR6fMWwf2ML1jxA8YGlKUAOuxP6e

Mr.Right

Quote from: d4_Pace on January 25, 2018, 06:10:41 PM
Mr. Right,
All of the videos were made by Dexter Eichhorst, which is why he didn't get as much screen time as the other seniors. 
Here is the link to the rest of the series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVR3PP-bb84&list=PLwNLoOR6fMWwf2ML1jxA8YGlKUAOuxP6e

Ok great thanks will take a look when I get enough time to watch them all in succession.

blooter442

Surfing YouTube this evening and this came up as a suggestion. (Have to say it, too, is well done.) Guess watching all 15 episodes does that to your viewing suggestions.

blooter442

Quote from: rolldeisroll on January 24, 2018, 01:42:00 PM
I have heard through the grapevine that Brandeis filmed the whole year as well, and is putting out a recap of the whole year. Not sure what it'll be like though.

This appears to be true -- two trailers were brought to my attention today. It was also expressed that, much like is the case with Tufts, the Brandeis players read these boards religiously, which augments PaulNewman's opinion. Not a surprise, of course, but still worth noting!

Have to say, objectively very well done on the production side of things:

Brandeis vs. West. Conn (preview)
Brandeis vs. Emory (preview)

Mr.Right

Quote from: blooter442 on January 31, 2018, 06:55:12 PM
Quote from: rolldeisroll on January 24, 2018, 01:42:00 PM

This appears to be true -- two trailers were brought to my attention today. It was also expressed that, much like is the case with Tufts, the Brandeis players read these boards religiously, which augments PaulNewman's opinion. Not a surprise, of course, but still worth noting!

Have to say, objectively very well done on the production side of things:

Brandeis vs. West. Conn (preview)
Brandeis vs. Emory (preview)

Bloots with the tease....In 53 seconds you can see how much Brandeis is going to miss Hernandez. Tremendous leader and played with some serious heart and toughness...He is going to be a tough one to replace..

Mr.Right

Also, thanks to D3soccer.com for posting that story on Matt Stauffer. Tremendous mental toughness and you do not see many players like him. Such a tragic loss at the age of 22.

rolldeisroll

Just saw that Brandeis put out their last trailer for their film...this one takes a look at their win at Emory...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfElmgVluPk/?taken-by=brandeissoccer

Just from looking at it, you can see that they are very close as teammates. Hennessey and Flahive play off each other well. Who is that on the narration though? Sounds familiar

Mid-Atlantic Fan

This may be my longest drought from the boards but I have been keeping tabs on the recruiting trail for teams around the region and stumbled upon this video for Lycoming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aisIkaQjDqc

I imagine this is a recruiting video and it's well done. It is fascinating to see all these schools getting into this sort of tactic with documentaries and filming throughout the season. That has to be attractive if you're a recruit looking at schools. Something as simple as this could be that edge to the overall "WOW" factor these programs are trying to produce.