Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WashJeff68 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ralph Turner

Johnnie, in the press release to which you link concerning new legislation, there is this quote...

QuoteOther Division I proposals of note (with sponsor):

* To limit the one-time transfer exception only to student-athletes who transfer from Division III institutions (Southern Conference).

Do you know the background for the proposal?

Does it relate to Brimingham-Southern?

johnnie_esq

I'd have to think it has more to do with D-2 transfers than D-3 transfers.  Being that the Southern Conference is D1-AA, this may be a situation where they are losing kids by transfer to D2 schools in the area.  In theory, a D1A athlete can transfer once to D1AA without penalty; or from D1 to D2 or D3 once without penalty.  So if you don't make the D1-AA starting squad as a frosh, you can transfer to the D2 across town and start there, and don't miss a beat.

Without looking at the wording of the proposal, I really don't understand how it helps either D1-AA or D-2.  It may even help D3...
SJU Champions 2003 NCAA D3, 1976 NCAA D3, 1965 NAIA, 1963 NAIA; SJU 2nd Place 2000 NCAA D3; SJU MIAC Champions 2018, 2014, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1991, 1989, 1985, 1982, 1979, 1977, 1976, 1975, 1974, 1971, 1965, 1963, 1962, 1953, 1938, 1936, 1935, 1932

Wydown Blvd.

is there any talk about the NCSA rankings anywhere?
or where would should I start up my questions/comments about them?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Wydown Blvd. on August 01, 2006, 10:59:33 PM
is there any talk about the NCSA rankings anywhere?
or where would should I start up my questions/comments about them?

Good evening, Wydown.

Is this what you mean?

The NSCAA Rankings message board

Pat Coleman

Probably these NCSA rankings:

http://www.ncsasports.org/Powerrankings/index.htm

This is the first I've heard of them, by the way.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 01, 2006, 11:28:54 PM
Probably these NCSA rankings:

http://www.ncsasports.org/Powerrankings/index.htm

This is the first I've heard of them, by the way.

I notice that 6 of the top 8 schools were NESCAC.

Perhaps there is a valid reason you have not heard of them! ;)

I don't even know what sport they were talking about, but that is absurd.

diehardfan

lol... they're talking about the school as a whole... as in, academics rating according to US news... combined with graduation rates of athletes... and their director's cup ranking (which is for all sports, and NESCAC schools always win cause they have like... fencing and equestrian and other random sport championships that give them a lot of points)

it totally makes sense that the list is all NESCAC schools... actually, I think that's a pretty darn cool list :)
Wait, dunks are only worth two points?!?!!!? Why does anyone do them? - diehardfan
What are Parkers now supposed to chant after every NP vs WC game, "Let's go enjoy tobacco products off-campus? - Gregory Sager
We all read it, but we don't take anything you say seriously - Luke Kasten

RIP WheatonC

diehardfan

oh snap.... wheaton is on that list! awesometacular  :D 8)
Wait, dunks are only worth two points?!?!!!? Why does anyone do them? - diehardfan
What are Parkers now supposed to chant after every NP vs WC game, "Let's go enjoy tobacco products off-campus? - Gregory Sager
We all read it, but we don't take anything you say seriously - Luke Kasten

RIP WheatonC

Pat Coleman

Not reading the rankings before dismissing them ... that's absurd.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Wydown Blvd.

you guys are pretty funny... and not the soccer rankings, but those mixed overall rankings

My take on this rankings:
First of all, they are interesting and a neat idea. Useful for very little, and of course they are flawed and will be ripped a part by sports fans little by little.
The benefits of the list is that its a solid compilation of statistics and rankings. Even if you were to disagree with who belongs where on the list and why, it does make comparisons within the three categories easier. However, I think that the biggest flaw is the use of the US News rankings for D3. Those rankings compare colleges with other colleges and university's with like universities. Therefore Universities such as Emory, MIT, and University of Chicago (just being examples that I am familiar with), are not comprable to Williams and Amherst in US News Rankings.

For Division I that flaw is also illustrated with the College of Charleston appearing at 23 on the I-A list.

Ralph Turner

IMHO, Mr Krause has put together an slick marketing campaign to sell his scouting services.

He chose ".org" vs ".com" in his domain name to deflect some immediate criticism.

I did not readily find any numbers as to who was paying for his services.

I can see his services being needed if graduation rates become a component of D1 or D2 scholarship allocations.  Playing the stereotypes, he can match the smart "white guys [who] can't jump" but have a 3.9 GPA and will graduate to offset the "double-double" power forward" who won't show up for class....

"Say Krause, this is Coach Jones at Eastern State.  I need a 3.9 GPA basketball player.  Got one for me?"   ;D

'gro

if only there was a similar D3 power ranking of academics and football only (seeya NESCAC), I believe the Liberty League would monkey stomp the competition.

Wydown Blvd.

Oh and btw, I had never heard of this ranking either, before a two days ago when i was checking the Wash U website and their press realease about them appeared. However, when i googled "2006 NCSA Collegiate Power Rankings," there were press releases from Duke, Kenyon College, Yale etc this year and in years past.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: enginegro on August 02, 2006, 02:26:17 PM
if only there was a similar D3 power ranking of academics and football only (seeya NESCAC), I believe the Liberty League would monkey stomp the competition.

Gro, D3 schools are included in the NSCA table.

'gro

Quote from: Ralph Turner on August 02, 2006, 03:30:00 PM
Quote from: enginegro on August 02, 2006, 02:26:17 PM

Gro, D3 schools are included in the NSCA table.

thanks for the tip, now read the bold print.