MBB: Midwest Conference

Started by siwash, February 10, 2005, 01:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Roop

If you've read my blog lately you would know I'm not shying away, just addressing it on another format.

But as for recruits, once I have them under contract they go where I tell them and like it. Typically it's to the highest bidder but I have been known to do a favor now and then. Being a street agent is the kind of business that you don't want to get labelled as a head hunter. The occasional favor is ok but you don't dare step on anybodies toes. You wind up taking a dirt nap when that happens.
Ist Ihre Tochter achtzehn bitte

gobucs

Quote from: The Roop on December 12, 2006, 04:05:43 PM
No Roop Vegas line on Judson @ Beloit tomorrow.  There doesn't figure to be enough of a handle to make it worth the effort of booking.                                                                                                                                                                                     
Quote from: Hoops Fan on December 12, 2006, 05:40:40 PM
Judson's not very good; your boys might have a chance.

Yikes, you hit that one right on the head. Kinda like Chaminade beating Virginia.........  Are the Buccaneer faithful in for a long season?

scottie

HEY PAL, DON'T BLOCK THE SHOT!

systemfan86

Dolph Stanley

Quote from: gobucs on December 14, 2006, 09:53:11 AM

Yikes, you hit that one right on the head. Kinda like Chaminade beating Virginia.........  Are the Buccaneer faithful in for a long season?

Rapidly approaching a very long decade >:(

The Roop

Maybe not exactly like Chaminade beating Virginia as there were no statistical anomalies in this game. Chaminade shot 75% to Virginias 34%, or something lopsided like that. Still have to scratch my head about this one though. An 8-2 run in 15 seconds is something that not even Grinnell is likely to pull off. Oh well, they're still only a game under .500 in conference and those are the only ones that count.

Greek Tragedy

Big week for the MWC as St. Norb's, Larry U and Carroll head to Oshkosh in the next week.  Any thoughts?  St. Norb's have had some surprising results, including two close losses to two very good teams.  Carroll had a hiccup in conference play and Larry U continues to be pretty good.  Oshkosh has been up and down thus far.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

The Roop

I can't believe I'm going to say this but there's a potential situation brewing in Wisconsin that the NCAA may wish to take a look at. It hasn't been approved yet but a committee is being formed to take a serious look at it. It calls for free tuition at any UW school if you promise to remain in state for 10 years after graduation. The theory is that the increased income tax revenue would offset the tuition costs.

What about the cost of the bureaucracy required to enforce the provision ?? What if your employer transfers you out of state prior to the 10 years. Would your tuition then be pro-rated or would you be on the hook for 100% of it. What does this do to the WIAC. It's not their fault because they didn't think of the idea but if passed I think their days as D3s are ended. Granted it wouldn't be an athletic scholarship but it would give them an unfair advantage in recruiting over private schools.

I'm not a big fan of governments attempting to spend their way into prosperity because it rarely ever works out as planned. Despite the good intentions I think this is one that needs to be voted down. Wisconsin and UW-Milwaukee probably don't benefit much from it but Green Bay and Parkside would, so it's not just a WIAC/D3 matter.

dansand

Quote from: The Roop on December 15, 2006, 06:38:05 AM
I can't believe I'm going to say this but there's a potential situation brewing in Wisconsin that the NCAA may wish to take a look at. It hasn't been approved yet but a committee is being formed to take a serious look at it. It calls for free tuition at any UW school if you promise to remain in state for 10 years after graduation. The theory is that the increased income tax revenue would offset the tuition costs.

What about the cost of the bureaucracy required to enforce the provision ?? What if your employer transfers you out of state prior to the 10 years. Would your tuition then be pro-rated or would you be on the hook for 100% of it. What does this do to the WIAC. It's not their fault because they didn't think of the idea but if passed I think their days as D3s are ended. Granted it wouldn't be an athletic scholarship but it would give them an unfair advantage in recruiting over private schools.

I'm not a big fan of governments attempting to spend their way into prosperity because it rarely ever works out as planned. Despite the good intentions I think this is one that needs to be voted down. Wisconsin and UW-Milwaukee probably don't benefit much from it but Green Bay and Parkside would, so it's not just a WIAC/D3 matter.

Would they let you take vacation out of state? Would you have to wear one of those ankle bracelet monitors so they know where you are at all times?;) I agree. Bad idea.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

It may be something to bring up over on the "Future of D3" Board."

I'm not sure it would affect their status as d3 because it's not like athletes would get any special treatment over other students.

For example, Massachusetts offers some really nice grant packages for students to go to school in state (public or private schools) and their d3's don't have any trouble with the NCAA.

It would be different if the law said "free tuition for athletes who agree to work in Wisonsin for 10 years after graduation."
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

Quote from: dansand on December 15, 2006, 07:12:28 AM
Quote from: The Roop on December 15, 2006, 06:38:05 AM

Would they let you take vacation out of state? Would you have to wear one of those ankle bracelet monitors so they know where you are at all times?;) I agree. Bad idea.

I think that what they're going to do is put electronic signal stakes along the state borders and force all the cheeseheads to wear those dog collars that give the wearer a jolt when he or she tries to cross the line.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

gobucs

On the recruiting side of it, the private schools still have an advantage in actually giving a freshman playing time and graduating in 4-years,  compared to gray-shirting and sticking around for a 5th year.  I know of a BC recruit that went to the WIAC, and he was gray shirted, and was told he'll be a nice 5th year player.  His parents are not thrilled by the idea, but went with it.  The $$ signs that private schools have in their brochures usually scare off most kids/parents. If the kid is smart, most private schools can compete with state schools in the price tag area.  Unfortunately, (for the privates) the decision is already made before the financial aid package it totally figured.

I have a 17-year old that's starting to think about college.  The possible tuition-free situation sounds inviting, but is probably too good to be true.  It's nice that an attempt is made to reduce brain drain in WI., but the committment factor will take alot of ironing out.

In our world of GPS, a simple chip implanted to grads would suffice ::)

d3bbfan

Quote from: The Roop on December 14, 2006, 04:18:12 PM
Still have to scratch my head about this one though. An 8-2 run in 15 seconds is something that not even Grinnell is likely to pull off. Oh well, they're still only a game under .500 in conference and those are the only ones that count.

an absolutly unbealivable call started that 15 sec downfall. Bucs inbounded the ball and Judson immediatly trapped with idea of fouling, however Dowden did a nice job of splitting the trap and just as he was starting to tribble away the ref blew his whitsle. we all thought that he must have called a foul but instead called a jump ball w/ the pos arrow going to judson. no possible way was it a jump ball...dowden was already on the move and neither of the judson players had their hands on the ball.....should have been a foul or no call. that was at 15 sec. judson hit a 2 and fouled immiediatly. bc only hit 1 of 2 then the point guard threw up a prayer for 3 and made and they fouled again w/ 4 secs left. bc again only made 1 of 2. the point grd for judson again speed dribbled up court and w/ horton right in front and not wanting to foul him, he threw up another prayer from 25 that was ansered again....end of the game. very disheartening to say the least. have to make ur ft's.

on a pos note the bucs did score 89 points....now if they can put offens and def together for a game who knows ..they might win a few.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Gosh, I thought this was the MWC board?  Can we represent the conference a little more?  The utter disregard for grammar and punctuation norms in that last post was positively nauseating.  I think there was some good game insight there, but it gave me a headache reading it.  Just because it's Christmas break doesn't mean out posting can break down.  We're trying to live in a society here.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

The Roop

Don't worry about it Hoops. Although I never name names or schools after contracts have been signed, it may just be possible that d3bbfan is somebody that I "got in somewhere" once. Depending on the package I put together they aren't always required to attend class. So cut him or her some slack on the spelling.