FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IIAC-Lifer

Luther gives Hoffman the interim spot, so you would guess that he would be in the running ... any other names out there, any thoughts on any OC/DC in the IIAC wanting to take the next step? Is Luther going to ever put the needed resources into the program to draw a good coach up there?

warthog

Quote from: IIAC-Lifer on December 05, 2012, 03:22:13 PM
Luther gives Hoffman the interim spot, so you would guess that he would be in the running ... any other names out there, any thoughts on any OC/DC in the IIAC wanting to take the next step? Is Luther going to ever put the needed resources into the program to draw a good coach up there?

The group with whom I drink coffee and talk sports on most Saturday mornings are considering sending a group application.  There are about fifteen of us, so if we split into sub-groups of three we would only have to actually coach one home and one away game each year.  Now the problem is convincing the Luther administation we know what we are doing.  We think we are very well versed in football.  After all we question just about every decision that every coach we know makes.  The good news is we don't have to follow much of a legacy.
BE ORANGE

doolittledog

Wyatt Hanus played the 2nd half for the North team in the D3 Senior Classic yesterday.

http://www.d3football.com/notables/2012/12/d3-senior-classic-boxscore.XML

His stats were 13-21-187yds 2TD 0Int

Bird Dog

Johnny Manziel wins Heisman Trophy.  What an accomplishment for a freshman.  Now for my question. The IIAC names an offensive and defensive most valuable player.  Has a freshman ever won that award?  I have gone to the IIAC site and can't find it.  Best guess is if it has ever happened it would have been someone on the GI bill.

Go UST

5 Words or Less

Quote from: Bird Dog on December 09, 2012, 09:52:48 AM
Johnny Manziel wins Heisman Trophy.  What an accomplishment for a freshman.  Now for my question. The IIAC names an offensive and defensive most valuable player.  Has a freshman ever won that award?  I have gone to the IIAC site and can't find it.  Best guess is if it has ever happened it would have been someone on the GI bill.

Go UST

Offensive / Defensive POY began 2010 <look here>

doolittledog

The IIAC webpage noted today that the IIAC was formed on Dec. 8th 1922.  Happy 90th birthday to the Iowa Conference.

A conference with relative stability.

BVU, Central, Luther, Simpson are charter members.

Loras joined in 1926, left in 1954, returned in 1986

Dubuque joined in 1929

Wartburg joined in 1937

Coe joined in 1998

5 Words or Less

President Ohle on hot seat

... dissatisfaction with the <Gustavus Adolphus> President <Ohle> made a strikingly public turn last week with the release of a student-run website called GustieLeaks. The website quickly went viral after going live on Tuesday, Nov. 27, appearing in Facebook newsfeeds, embedded in Twitter exchanges and publicized by posters all over campus.

... <GustieLeaks reports that> in a closed Faculty Meeting on Oct. 19, 2012 the faculty present voted on a resolution calling for the Board of Trustees to terminate President Ohle's contract. The exact language of the resolution states:

"...[L]et it be resolved, first, that the faculty of Gustavus Adolphus College support the Board of Trustees ending President Ohle's appointment as soon as possible, and second, that the faculty do not support his contract being extended by any length of time."

The vote was done via paper ballot to ensure anonymity and passed with 88 in approval of the resolution, 7 in opposition, and 14 abstentions. ...

http://weekly.blog.gustavus.edu/2012/12/07/14898/

doolittledog

You could argue that a a boss' job is not necessarily to keep those under him happy, but to run the ship as best as he/she sees fit to move the company/school in the right direction.  The faculty at Wartburg crafted a similar letter about Ohle while he was in Waverly.  I'm not judging if he is a good or bad president.  Just that presidents often are not supported by the falculty at a school. 

NewKnightDad

Quote from: doolittledog on December 10, 2012, 12:57:02 PM
You could argue that a a boss' job is not necessarily to keep those under him happy, but to run the ship as best as he/she sees fit to move the company/school in the right direction.  The faculty at Wartburg crafted a similar letter about Ohle while he was in Waverly.  I'm not judging if he is a good or bad president.  Just that presidents often are not supported by the falculty at a school.

This is what I was thinking when I read the article.  I wonder how many students would give their professors a failing grade?
Win or lose we still booze!!

Fannosaurus Rex

I will admit that I can't think of the relevance, but I thought it interesting that, in the last 5 years, Central beat two of Saturday's semi-finalists (St Thomas, UWOshkosh) and lost to a third (Mary Hardin Baylor) by a whisker.  Maybe the significance is playing Central makes you better. 
"It ain't what ya do, it's the way how ya do it.  It ain't what ya eat, it's the way how ya chew it."  Little Richard

notlongago

Quote from: Fannosaurus Rex on December 10, 2012, 04:26:55 PM
I will admit that I can't think of the relevance, but I thought it interesting that, in the last 5 years, Central beat two of Saturday's semi-finalists (St Thomas, UWOshkosh) and lost to a third (Mary Hardin Baylor) by a whisker.  Maybe the significance is playing Central makes you better.

Conversely, maybe Central is trending in the wrong direction....  :o

hazzben

Can't speak to the other results. But the year Central beat UST, everybody beat UST. They were 2-8, with victories against Carleton and Augsburg. They even lost Hamline  :o

DutchFan2004

Quote from: hazzben on December 10, 2012, 05:55:15 PM

Can't speak to the other results. But the year Central beat UST, everybody beat UST. They were 2-8, with victories against Carleton and Augsburg. They even lost Hamline  :o

One of those years that they beat UST they beat BU as well.
Play with Passion  Coach Ron Schipper

doolittledog

Wait a minute...Ohle left Wartburg, a Lutheran college for Gustavus Adolphus...another Lutheran college.  Now the Luther College president is stepping down after this year.  I see where 5WOL is going with this.  Luther needs to hire Ohle as president and then watch the football titles come rolling into Decorah!!!

Now THAT would create some drama around here ;D

hazzben

Quote from: DutchFan2004 on December 10, 2012, 09:23:09 PM
Quote from: hazzben on December 10, 2012, 05:55:15 PM

One of those years that they beat UST they beat BU as well.

They sure did...a 5 - 5 Bethel team if I remember correctly. We rolled up 500+ yds of offense to Centrals 200ish (??) and still managed to lose.  :o Tommie Davis, starting center, dominated the Dutch NG like I've never seen. Then, mid-3rd quarter got rolled up on and blew out an ACL. Devastating injury for an amazing player who was never quite the same. Dutch coaches came into the locker room, searched out the Bethel Oline coach and commented they hadn't been run on like that in a long, long time. Phil Porta was something special though. Still can't believe we lost. Central punter had some amazing punts and field position was a major factor. Weird game, weird loss. But as they say, the only stat that matters...