Atlantic Central Football Conference/Independents

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaintsFAN

Quote from: wesleydad on December 09, 2014, 08:34:41 PM
Quote from: MUC57 on December 09, 2014, 01:52:41 PM

The other day I posted some stats for Mount Union trying to show that this team was better than last year's. Today I uncovered a stat I did not post. Here it is!
                              Mount Union  NCAA Rank       Wesley   NCAA Rank
   Turnover Margin         +17              15                 +35           1
Now that's a stat I wish I hadn't seen. Talk about not getting that warm all over feeling!
Mount had better hold on to the ball or they could lose it. And a good team like Wesley will make them pay.
Looking forward to a great game. Go Raiders!!!!

Not one much for stats, but this looks pretty prolific.  Wesley has scored at least 1 D touchdown in each playoff game.  The defense is light years better than last year, I hope it shows on Saturday.

Yeah, I hate stats.  Mostly because you can take any argument and work stats in to support the argument.  The game is played on the field.

I feel like you can just throw out the stats before the National Semifinals for any of the Final Four teams left in a given year.  Chances are the Purples are involved and we find out alot about each team through these matchups.
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

MUC57

Saintsfan, Wesleydad et al

Wow! I can't believe I created such a firestorm merely by posting a few stats on Mount Union and Wesley.
Of course the game is played on the field. I have known that for quite some time. But thanks for the reminder.
Yes, stats can be worked to support an argument. A friend of mine from grad school used to say, "Statistics show that whenever there is an increase in teachers salaries, there is an increase in prostitution." This, of course, is absurd. But it proves the point.
I was merely pointing out what I thought were some interesting "facts" about the teams. Too bad you took umbrage.
It's also too bad you hate stats. So much of our lives are governed by them, everything from government actions to insurance rates to locations for new shopping centers and on and on.
I know many teams prepare for an opponent by looking at game films, using prior knowledge and, dare I say it, looking at stats.
But, I guess I have said enough. I promise I won't mention any more stats, facts or perceived distortions.
I end by saying I'm looking forward to a great game between two outstanding teams. Here's hoping no one gets injured and that the better team wins. Of course, I hope that team is Mount      Union. Safe travels to all.
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

SaintsFAN

Quote from: MUC57 on December 10, 2014, 02:10:28 PM

Wow! I can't believe I created such a firestorm merely by posting a few stats on Mount Union and Wesley.
Of course the game is played on the field. I have known that for quite some time. But thanks for the reminder.
Yes, stats can be worked to support an argument. A friend of mine from grad school used to say, "Statistics show that whenever there is an increase in teachers salaries, there is an increase in prostitution." This, of course, is absurd. But it proves the point.
I was merely pointing out what I thought were some interesting "facts" about the teams. Too bad you took umbrage.
It's also too bad you hate stats. So much of our lives are governed by them, everything from government actions to insurance rates to locations for new shopping centers and on and on.
I know many teams prepare for an opponent by looking at game films, using prior knowledge and, dare I say it, looking at stats.
But, I guess I have said enough. I promise I won't mention any more stats, facts or perceived distortions.
I end by saying I'm looking forward to a great game between two outstanding teams. Here's hoping no one gets injured and that the better team wins. Of course, I hope that team is Mount      Union. Safe travels to all.

There's no firestorm.  I just dislike stats.  I don't use them.  You can certainly do that. 

I don't think anyone took issue with you using stats here -- my reply was simply about not liking stats. 

I'm expecting a great game.
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

joelmama

There is a good reason to hate stats.  I am an accountant and I can make almost any set of numbers look 180 degrees different from reality if I put my mind to it ;D

However there is a one stat that you may or may not have posted that is pretty interesting.
•Since 1996, the Raiders are 145-0 when winning the turnover battle.
I think it is safe to say Mount usually takes advantage of turnovers if they happen.  Also you can infer that if you turn it over more than Mount you have given up most  if not all the chances you had to win.

wesleydad

MUC, no umbrage taken here.  I read the stats and they are cool to look at and say something about what Wesley's D has done this year.  I know Mount doesn't usually turn the ball over, but they do and maybe the stats say they will this Saturday.  Both teams give up less than 10, but I will gladly bet that neither teams D gets that done this Saturday.  I will be there on Saturday, find me if you can, I am easy to find, wearing a #13 jersey and sitting on the open side with some of my Mount friends.  Right in the mouth of the lion.  It is always fun.

skunks_sidekick

Interesting conversation Ric & HSC were having after the game last week on the radio.

To beat Mount, and more specifically Kevin Burke, you have to beat them/him in the first 55 minutes.  Because if it's at the end of the game, and he has the ball, odds are he is going to will the offense to a score.

It's only happened one time since he has started, and that was the beat down Mount suffered last year in the Stagg.  Burke is 42-1 as a starter, and has engineered almost unbelievable drives at the end games/halves. 

wesleydad

Quote from: skunks_sidekick on December 10, 2014, 07:03:43 PM
Interesting conversation Ric & HSC were having after the game last week on the radio.

To beat Mount, and more specifically Kevin Burke, you have to beat them/him in the first 55 minutes.  Because if it's at the end of the game, and he has the ball, odds are he is going to will the offense to a score.

It's only happened one time since he has started, and that was the beat down Mount suffered last year in the Stagg.  Burke is 42-1 as a starter, and has engineered almost unbelievable drives at the end games/halves.

Skunks, that is likely true, hopefully Wesley can lay the beat down on Mount Saturday and we won't have to worry about who has the ball at the end of the game.  Not much talk about the game.  OAC is discussing the validity of comparable heights and weights of players at all levels of college football.  Guess I must be mistaken, I thought there was a pretty big game this weekend for a chance to win the Stagg Bowl.  Maybe I have to rethink my trip to Alliance since it seems like it is just another game to most posters.  SMH.

Raider 68

Quote from: wesleydad on December 10, 2014, 08:55:48 PM
Quote from: skunks_sidekick on December 10, 2014, 07:03:43 PM

Skunks, that is likely true, hopefully Wesley can lay the beat down on Mount Saturday and we won't have to worry about who has the ball at the end of the game.  Not much talk about the game.  OAC is discussing the validity of comparable heights and weights of players at all levels of college football.  Guess I must be mistaken, I thought there was a pretty big game this weekend for a chance to win the Stagg Bowl.  Maybe I have to rethink my trip to Alliance since it seems like it is just another game to most posters.  SMH.

wesleydad,

See my post on the OAC board, I for one think this is a really big game, I have been worried about  it for awhile.
Wesley is a great team and as you point of the best in years. I expect a close game with some big plays and the winner
will have played a smart game. The weather will be dry about 40 degrees, good for this game. The Raiders are really
tough at home during the season and playoffs, only have seen 2 losses at home in 10 years, so the home field  does help.
Wesley however has played very well on the road so, we'll see.
13 time Division III National Champions

Bartman

Good luck to Wesley against  Mount Union. Turn the tables this year, get the early lead and hold it!
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Teamski

I'm happy that the weather right now is similar between Alliance and Dover.  At least Wesley won't be "cold shocked" like they have been in the past.  It is currently 32 with flurries here in Dover, so the practice weather this week should bode well for the team.  Add the fact that the game should be dry will definitely help.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

thewaterboy

Teamski

Quote from: thewaterboy on December 11, 2014, 04:39:20 PM
Ski, are you making the trip?

Yep!  Leaving on Friday.  You will see me on the camera as usual.   ;)

-Ski

thewaterboy

Safe travels to all today. Hopefully the team can come out amped up and ready to go Saturday. Interesting to see Triple Take's predictions. Wesley certainly should not be intimidated by coming into Mount Union.

Pat, for whatever reason I thought it was interesting that you said Charlotte was a tougher opponent, and I'm hoping you're right on that... maybe not the final score part though of course.

skunks_sidekick

I can report that the Wesley men have arrived in Alliance, and were doing their warm-up/walk through in Mount Union Stadium when I picked up my tickets a couple of hours ago. 

Safe journeys to all, and I for one am looking forward to one fantastic game!

Teamski

Quote from: skunks_sidekick on December 12, 2014, 03:13:23 PM
I can report that the Wesley men have arrived in Alliance, and were doing their warm-up/walk through in Mount Union Stadium when I picked up my tickets a couple of hours ago. 

Safe journeys to all, and I for one am looking forward to one fantastic game!

Thanks for the update!  I am about to head out myself for Alliance here in a couple minutes.  Safe travels everybody!  I hope that Wesley can pull this one out.  It's been a long time coming.  Only time will tell how all of the cards will fall.

-Ski