TOP 25

Started by short, July 11, 2008, 10:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 22, 2008, 12:28:11 AM
The only real 'head scratcher' I saw this week was Wabash 'monkey-stomping' Chicago, yet getting passed by two teams.  Salisbury was not a shock, since their victim, Christopher Newport, had received 36 points in the previous poll, but I was quite surprised that Wheaton also jumped them.  Wheaton did a number on CUW, but their big jump the previous week was for beating then-#5 Bethel, which now seems a bit less impressive than it did then.  Did voters receive tape of the Wabash/Wheaton scrimmage, and the Thunder 'won'? ;D
Man, those Wheaties get you every time.

It's just not fair!   :D

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 22, 2008, 01:04:17 AM
The only real 'head scratcher' I saw this week was Wabash 'monkey-stomping' Chicago, yet getting passed by two teams.  Salisbury was not a shock, since their victim, Christopher Newport, had received 36 points in the previous poll, but I was quite surprised that Wheaton also jumped them.  Wheaton did a number on CUW, but their big jump the previous week was for beating then-#5 Bethel, which now seems a bit less impressive than it did then.  Did voters receive tape of the Wabash/Wheaton scrimmage, and the Thunder 'won'? ;D

Not that I'm complaining, mind you - just mystified. :D

I haven't gotten around to checking all the past polls yet, but I'm reasonably sure this is the first time the CCIW has had two top ten teams at the same time.

usee

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 22, 2008, 12:44:57 PM

I haven't gotten around to checking all the past polls yet, but I'm reasonably sure this is the first time the CCIW has had two top ten teams at the same time.

You shouldn't be mystified. There is no secret sauce here. although maybe if you post this on 6 more boards you may find something!  ;D

btw, since the d3 poll started the closest the CCIW has gotten to getting 2 teams in the top 10 is the final poll in 2004 (Carthage #5, Wheaton #12) and week #11 in 2005 (Augie was #10 and NCC #12).

Ken Pickens

Man, you better do a little more research! There's a new team out there in only their third year and they are all ready making some noise.
It's LaGrange College and they are 2-1 right now (should be 3-0 after a horrible officiating call).
They just beat the pants off Maryville (no matter what the Head Coach says for Maryville, they got their butts whipped).
Coach Pickens

Mr. Ypsi

I think Coach Pickens would be well advised to learn some lessons from Coach Holtz! :D

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: usee on September 22, 2008, 01:02:15 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 22, 2008, 12:44:57 PM

You shouldn't be mystified. There is no secret sauce here. although maybe if you post this on 6 more boards you may find something!  ;D

btw, since the d3 poll started the closest the CCIW has gotten to getting 2 teams in the top 10 is the final poll in 2004 (Carthage #5, Wheaton #12) and week #11 in 2005 (Augie was #10 and NCC #12).

Thanks for saving me the research time! ;D  Interesting that the two teams that nearly cracked a double top ten were four different teams, even though it was consecutive years.

With a 15-3 record so far this year (and either 5-1 or 6-0 seems likely in week four) against non-con teams, perhaps the CCIW can at least come close in football to their status in basketball.  Afterall, even Mount Union so far hasn't matched one thing Augustana did (four consecutive national titles); MUC has to fall sometime, why shouldn't the CCIW take them down? ;D

(With apologies to those teams who have already taken down MUC for a single year; no one has done it in forever in the North [even if UWW was an import last year].)

K-Mack

Quote from: Foss on September 22, 2008, 12:00:58 AM
Pat, believe it or not I haven't yet. Embarrassing to say but I had too much time on my hands tonight and looked through all the previous polls. Which release are you referring to? Wish I would have read it first, would have saved me a lot of time.  :)

Foss, now you know what it's like to write Around the Nation, or at least a portion of it. :)
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 22, 2008, 08:38:59 PM
I think Coach Pickens would be well advised to learn some lessons from Coach Holtz! :D
I believe that Coach Pickens has two sons who play for LaGrange. ;)

I am all for the success of D-III in the South.  D-III is a new animal down there.

Most of the kids in the South for whom D-III is an option just give up football all together and then hang out with 80,000 spectators watching SEC football...not good enough to play for the Tide or the Gators or another of the various Tigers or Bulldogs, and so they give up what they love.

K-Mack

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 22, 2008, 11:05:05 PM

I am all for the success of D-III in the South.  D-III is a new animal down there.

Most of the kids in the South for whom D-III is an option just give up football all together and then hang out with 80,000 spectators watching SEC football...not good enough to play for the Tide or the Gators or another of the various Tigers or Bulldogs, and so they give up what they love.

Agreed about D3 down South, although there is quite the D2 presence in the Gulf Coast region and there are options between I-A and III as you well know in cities like Abilene ... options which probably attract a caliber of player (to some degree) who go D3 in a state like Wisconsin.

But you are right on about some kids having to give up what they love and D3 being that opportunity, especially when your favorite schools emerge.

(Mine were initially Temple, Maryland and Howard, and eventually became Maryland, Howard, Albright and Randolph-Macon)

I couldn't envision myself watching games when I knew I could be playing them. I'm OK with it now because I know I reached my limit, that the NFL wasn't for me (I might have tried the XFL though :) ) ... but I'm very glad there are those opportunities for kids to choose a school they love and to realize that college football is still (or is not) for them.

, that wasn't for me.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Ken Pickens on September 22, 2008, 08:23:09 PM
Man, you better do a little more research! There's a new team out there in only their third year and they are all ready making some noise.
It's LaGrange College and they are 2-1 right now (should be 3-0 after a horrible officiating call).
They just beat the pants off Maryville (no matter what the Head Coach says for Maryville, they got their butts whipped).
Coach Pickens

LaGrange has been on the front page for both wins. What more do you want? Top 25 votes are a little premature, no?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 22, 2008, 11:05:05 PM

Given the circumstances, I guess Coach Pickens earns a pass.  I'm just not used to coaches deliberately giving out bulletin-board material! :D

Your next opponent is supposed to be the greatest team in the history of football, while your team has trouble tying their shoelaces! ;D

K-Mack

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 23, 2008, 12:10:53 AM
LaGrange has been on the front page for both wins. What more do you want? Top 25 votes are a little premature, no?

I thought of asking the same thing about top 25 votes, but then I decided to shut my mouth and let the season play itself out.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Pat Coleman

And I'm not saying they can't and never will get Top 25 votes, just that it's a little premature, that's all.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

K-Mack

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 23, 2008, 03:26:20 PM
And I'm not saying they can't and never will get Top 25 votes, just that it's a little premature, that's all.

It's a lot premature, let's be frank.

We are watching. Keep winning, that's been proven over time to draw attention and top 25 votes.  ;)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

redswarm81

Aha, the McMillan Paradox again:

No. 25 Concordia-Morehead def. No. 18 St. John's, at the Natural Bowl, no less.
Irritating SAT-lagging Union undergrads and alums since 1977