FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hsbsballcoach7 and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: wally_wabash on January 05, 2017, 01:44:22 PM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 05, 2017, 11:25:19 AM
It's been brought up previously, but the other issue is always money.  Especially for a young guy that's just married.  These coaches put in a ton of hours at every level.  If you're going to do that I can't fault you if you want to move up and start on the road to making some serious coin.  I'd think with one promotion (from OL coach to an OC) Dartt will already surpass what D3 HC's make.

WKU's previous OL coach made $95,000 in 2016.  That's already more than what most D3 HCs make.  Any kind of promotion to coordinator would give him mulitples of what D3 HCs make. 

I remain blown away at how so many people don't seem to understand just how different the economies are between divisions of college football and how people are shocked(!) that a guy would leave a good-to-great job at a D3 to get into an FCS or G5 FBS staff, even as a position coach.  It's an absolute no brainer, gang.

Agreed.  I cannot imagine there are many D3 schools paying six figures to their coach. 

The Alliance Review sports reporter went off on his Twitter account about how he was surprised Tom Arth would leave, what about loyalty, etc. etc. when Coach took the UTC job.  See https://twitter.com/JeffZupReview  I am with you, he had about 300,000 reasons to go to UTC and that is not even thinking about what the next job could pay him.

I love to hear guys talk about loyalty and how money isn't everything when you know that 95% of them would take a new job in their profession for a nickel raise, let alone a $200K-$225K raise.

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 05, 2017, 11:25:19 AM
It's been brought up previously, but the other issue is always money.  Especially for a young guy that's just married.  These coaches put in a ton of hours at every level.  If you're going to do that I can't fault you if you want to move up and start on the road to making some serious coin.  I'd think with one promotion (from OL coach to an OC) Dartt will already surpass what D3 HC's make.

I agree and my point was not meant to imply that his decision was only about career advancement opportunities.  I just have to imagine that he have been thinking of himself as the heir apparent at Mount and if it became clear to him that there was no throne to which to ascend (because VK is staying put), that may have made the decision to leave a little easier (on top of the fact that he likely got a raise and is putting himself in an environment where the money is much, much better in the long run). 

Dr. Acula

Right.  It's not like VK is getting up their in age.  He's probably what...41?  If he plans on staying long-term then Dartt has to leave.  It makes sense on every level.  As a fan I'm bummed to see him go, but I was bummed when Campbell and Candle left too and it worked out fine.  Like VK said in the tweet, loss creates opportunity.

I'm far more curious about the BW and JCU hires right now TBH.  Those hires could alter the landscape.

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 05, 2017, 03:49:47 PM
I'm far more curious about the BW and JCU hires right now TBH.  Those hires could alter the landscape.

Not as curious as I am . . . I hope we make a decision soon as we, like all D3 programs, have to be ready to sweep up the best of the rest post-signing day and also start working the leads on potential D1 and D2 transfers right now.

raiderpa

I would be willing to bet that at 95K, Dartt doubled his salary, possibly more.

gizzmo13

Im surprised that all the years mount has been very successful that we have never really seen a qb transfer in other than Ballard, like a d1 transfer, I know Ballard came from Wilmington. D3

wally_wabash

Quote from: gizzmo13 on January 06, 2017, 10:36:25 AM
Im surprised that all the years mount has been very successful that we have never really seen a qb transfer in other than Ballard, like a d1 transfer, I know Ballard came from Wilmington. D3

I'm pretty sure that has happened.  Piloto maybe?  The Mount Union roster savants here can confirm. 

This is a good segue into something that I found to be an increasingly dominant theme in D3 this year...the D1 transfer.  The sense I'm getting is that the division is shifting away from the really good recruiting lands are the guys that a school can get that could have walked on somewhere or taken a partial somewhere to looping back around to guys that you may have recruited that went to a D1 or D2 and kind of re-recruiting them after they've had a taste of the redshirt.  This feels like a thing that the tippy-top teams in the division are doing with increasing frequency. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Dr. Acula

I believe Piloto was a walk-on at USF.  He is the only D1 transfer QB I can recall.  Evan Shimensky transferred from Kent to play QB, but he was a HS QB turned WR at Kent.  There may have been some pre-Ballard, but that was before my time.

USee

Rob Adamson was sort of a transfer. He came to Mt, left, and then came back.

Dr. Acula

Adamson transferred to Malone.  That was like transferring down and then coming back up to D3!

Onward on, John Carroll

Rumors abound that Jim Hilvert, current Lasalle (High School in Cincinnati) football coach and former Thomas More College head coach (6 league titles and a few playoff appearances), is a finalist at both John Carroll and BW.  Rumors also persist that BW is further down the path and likely to name a coach sooner rather than later.

USee

Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 06, 2017, 04:01:11 PM
Adamson transferred to Malone.  That was like transferring down and then coming back up to D3!

That's why I said "sort of"   ;)

Craft_Beermeister

Quote from: Onward on, John Carroll on January 06, 2017, 04:58:04 PM
Rumors abound that Jim Hilvert, current Lasalle (High School in Cincinnati) football coach and former Thomas More College head coach (6 league titles and a few playoff appearances), is a finalist at both John Carroll and BW.  Rumors also persist that BW is further down the path and likely to name a coach sooner rather than later.

Back before UC hired Luke Fickell there were rumors in Cincinnati that Jim Hilvert was a candidate for the UC head coaching job though I suspect being a great local HS who was won consecration state championships influenced those pushing for him.

Lately I've heard more about Jim Hilvert landing up at BW but I can see the JCU connection as well

I agree with the importance of the timing issue especially for JCU since Arth to a significant portion of his staff along with recruiting coordinator with him.  JCU as a school has a lot to sell to recruits, but you need an energetic staff with a vision and time to go out and build relationships with the local high school recruits.  I'm sure Arth already built that relationship with potential recruits but I'm not sure how much transfers with an almost completely new staff.

At JCU besides the need to quickly crank up player recruiting efforts, the other challenge for some one like Hilvert would be the need to quickly assemble coaching staff which has multiple openings which might be a challenge especially since he is coming from a HS position.  Hilvert just 3 years ago he was the winingest coach at the Thomas More so maybe he has some god connections.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out especially with JCU and BW possibly competing for candidates.

ADL70

Quote from: Onward on, John Carroll on January 06, 2017, 04:58:04 PM

Would catholic school connection make him more attractive to JCU?
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

BillyRayJimBob

Well, the Family's alma maters came up empty in the College football playoffs this year:  Purple Raiders (3 grads); Buckeyes (1 grad); Penguins (1 grad) ... was really holding out for the 'Guins.
The others:  Kent State (2 grads ... mathematically eliminated in week #1); LSU-Shreveport (1 grad ... don't field a football program); and San Antonio Beauty College (1 grad ... the Wife makes me include this ... "Undefeated since..." (who gives a $#!+))
We did, although, enjoy a GREAT College football season.
Congrats to the UMH-B CRU!