FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: bestfancle on January 10, 2017, 02:04:16 PM
Had to create an account just to say this, but Rick Finotti interviewed for JCU's position.

Interesting.  I know that he was making $125K as Director of Football Operations at Michigan in 2015. he moved to the coaching ranks and was listed as a Defensive Analyst for the 2016 season.  I am not sure if that is a promotion or a demotion but I am operating under the (perhaps erroneous) assumption that he was paid similarly in his analyst role.  What I am sure of is that it is very likely that neither BW nor JCU will come close to paying him that kind of money.

Dr. Acula

^^^ I would say both of those assumptions are probably safe ones.

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 11, 2017, 09:56:43 AM

I don't think people appreciate how modest the salaries are for D3 football head coaches.  We have talked on here before but I would venture to guess that there are not more than 10 D3 head coaches making $100,000. Maybe more if there are still a lot of AD/HC dual assignments out there but those are becoming rarer and rarer. In fact, if you set the over/under at 10, I would take the under. 

retagent

Congrats to Coach Kehres on his well deserved honor.

edward de vere

formerd3db

Quote from: Onward on, John Carroll on January 11, 2017, 11:11:56 AM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 11, 2017, 09:56:43 AM

I don't think people appreciate how modest the salaries are for D3 football head coaches.  We have talked on here before but I would venture to guess that there are not more than 10 D3 head coaches making $100,000. Maybe more if there are still a lot of AD/HC dual assignments out there but those are becoming rarer and rarer. In fact, if you set the over/under at 10, I would take the under.

Not only is that true, but also think how "skim" it is regarding salaries for assistant coaches at D3 schools.  For many, their main income is from an unrelated full-time job outside of football (teaching or otherwise) and for those who have aspirations for a full-time coaching career, many are young, single guys who are in the process of pursuing their graduate degrees.  It's a tough path to follow, of course, yet,   obviously not impossible to make it and certainly is very rewarding if that is one's chosen career.  At the same time, certainly there are some who end up changing careers and leaving the coaching profession only after a few years for various reasons.  The big-time DI aspects (salaries, etc.) have gotten out of hand many years ago.  But we all know that is highly unlikely to ever happen at the D3 level, which again is simply the example of how college football was intended all those years ago back to Stagg's day i.e. athletics and academics  in the proper perspective for one's life beyond football.

"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

From footballscoop.com

QuoteMount Union: Source tells FootballScoop Mount Union is promoting defensive line coach Tyler Funk to offensive line. Hear there was considerable (read: overwhelming) interest in this position.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

hsbsballcoach7

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on January 11, 2017, 07:24:15 PM
From footballscoop.com

QuoteMount Union: Source tells FootballScoop Mount Union is promoting defensive line coach Tyler Funk to offensive line. Hear there was considerable (read: overwhelming) interest in this position.

I hope Lewis is interested in coming Ming back to be OC. He's done a nice job at Heidelberg.

Dr. Acula

From footballscoop.com

I didn't realize OL was a promotion over DL?  Offense always gets the glory!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 11, 2017, 09:00:50 PM
From footballscoop.com

I didn't realize OL was a promotion over DL?  Offense always gets the glory!

Seems kinda backwards. :P  DL can get 'glory' with sacks, fumble recoveries, strips, etc.  About the closest to 'glory' the OL can get is if someone recognizes they blew open a hole, but the runner still gets the credit!  Otherwise (except for the slow, cumulative credit for not allowing sacks) it's all negative: allowing a sack, wrecking a big gain with a holding penalty, etc.

skunks_sidekick

I say congrats to LK!  Best coach ever in ALL of college football.

gizzmo13

Quote from: section13raiderfan on January 10, 2017, 02:52:19 PM
Yeaaa  for LK!  With numbers like his how can any sane person not vote for him? Its a proud day in Alliance for sure. But what about Billy Borchert? His numbers are pretty amazing also. We who saw him in action KNOW he belongs in the HOF as well. Next year will be just fine, it can give him time to write an acceptance speech. Lets make it an annual ritual.
yea I agree I think Borchert should get in at some point, I saw pretty much every game he played in. He was definitely one of the best I have seen, on that note tho , I think Rocky Pentello may have been the best qb Ive ever seen in mount stadium.

Onward on, John Carroll

On a high school football message board, someone is claiming that BW is down to three finalists -- the current LaSalle High School head coach (Hilvert), Adam Howard, the Berea-Midpark AD who was the head coach at Notre Dame College from 20019-2015 and a former coach at Blufton. 

I am not sure who that third person would be.  Perhaps, it is referring to Tyson Veidt.  He left Bluffton and got on the Matt Campbell Train at Toledo and followed him to Iowa State.  That just does not make sense to me though as he is the Assistant HC/LB Coach at Iowa State.  Not be a broken record, but that is a major step back in pay unless he wants to get back to D3 athletics/environs. I cannot think of or find any other former Bluffton coaches that would be young enough to take over.

Disclaimer:  The credibility of high school message board posters make us look Edward R Murrow-trained journalists.

section13raiderfan

Rocky Pentello was the show for Capital and his teammates were the supporting cast. I cant say that he made anyone around him look better though. Bill Borchert made those around him better in my opinion. He was not reliant on any one offensive option. He spread it around very well. Everyone was a threat to score. He had great instincts. Put him on the ballot for next year now.

fishermba

To an interested coach, what's a better job... BW or JCU?