FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasanova

Quote from: hasanova on August 31, 2015, 12:14:44 PM
Quote from: Scots13 on August 31, 2015, 12:04:55 PM
Sitting in the office with an HSC co-worker who happens to have played at HSC, looking at the list. I got down to the "V" section and thought "well, I don't see a Maryville game on here..." Boom. Then I see where Vandy drummed us 100-3 in 1912. My Tiger buddy sees it, says something along the time of "That sucks for you." I start scrolling again.
Three lines down: VIRGINIA MILITARY 136, HAMPDEN-SYDNEY 0.  (1920)
Timing could not have been better.
A little slice of humble pie all around ...

I don't know the final score, but Guilford played at Maryland during Bear Bryant's days there as HC ... the Terrapin cheerleaders did push-ups and sang the alma mater after each UM score.  Rumor is, by the end of the game, all the GC Quakers knew the UM alma mater by heart!
1945 University of Maryland 60, Guilford 6

HSCTiger fan

It looks the score might be is accurate.  :'(. The Kaleidoscope must have been written in the spring of 1920 discussing the 1919 season in which VMI won 3-0.

Hasa I was on the sideline watching a worse beating than 60-6. In 1987 Catawba beat the Quakers 73-14.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

jknezek

Quote from: hasanova on August 31, 2015, 01:22:50 PM
Sitting in the office with an HSC co-worker who happens to have played at HSC, looking at the list. I got down to the "V" section and thought "well, I don't see a Maryville game on here..." Boom. Then I see where Vandy drummed us 100-3 in 1912. My Tiger buddy sees it, says something along the time of "That sucks for you." I start scrolling again.

I don't know the final score, but Guilford played at Maryland during Bear Bryant's days there as HC ... the Terrapin cheerleaders did push-ups and sang the alma mater after each UM score.  Rumor is, by the end of the game, all the GC Quakers knew the UM alma mater by heart!

W&L has more than a few of those too. W&L has a great link to series record against every team we've played. Fun to check out when we played Army, Navy, Virginia, Va Tech, G Tech, Miami, FL, and many more of the teams that went on to the big time. Take a look if you have some time to kill. I'm always amazed at how one year we'd get monkey stomped, or stomp someone else by 30,40,50+ points, and the next year it would be dead close. The changeover on those teams in the 1900s through WWII must have been incredible.

http://generalssports.com/sports/fball/info/seriesrec

HSCTiger fan

Another interesting tidbit. HSC's Kaleidoscope list the 11 starters and the remaining players as "Scrubs". I found that funny for some reason.
Hampden Sydney College
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

hasanova

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on August 31, 2015, 01:31:23 PM
It looks the score might be is accurate.  :'(. The Kaleidoscope must have been written in the spring of 1920 discussing the 1919 season in which VMI won 3-0.

Hasa I was on the sideline watching a worse beating than 60-6. In 1987 Catawba beat the Quakers 73-14.
Oh, I didn't say it was our worst beating ... I think one year GC and Mars Hill both entered the game 4-0 ... and it was 73-0 MHC.  Ouch!

hasanova

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on August 31, 2015, 02:02:09 PM
Another interesting tidbit. HSC's Kaleidoscope list the 11 starters and the remaining players as "Scrubs". I found that funny for some reason.
Scrubs used to be the term for reserves or back-ups ... I remember it being used when I was in high school.

Scots13

Quote from: jknezek on August 31, 2015, 01:39:26 PM
Quote from: hasanova on August 31, 2015, 01:22:50 PM

W&L has more than a few of those too. W&L has a great link to series record against every team we've played. Fun to check out when we played Army, Navy, Virginia, Va Tech, G Tech, Miami, FL, and many more of the teams that went on to the big time. Take a look if you have some time to kill. I'm always amazed at how one year we'd get monkey stomped, or stomp someone else by 30,40,50+ points, and the next year it would be dead close. The changeover on those teams in the 1900s through WWII must have been incredible.

http://generalssports.com/sports/fball/info/seriesrec

It's always cool to see the present day FBS schools on the All-Time Opponents lists. Maryville has played the likes of Tennessee, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt for sure and probably a few others.

Hasa and Tiger fan: Catawba bit MC in the butt back in the day too. First ever Citrus Bowl (then Tangerine Bowl) in 1947, MC lost 31-6. Pretty cool to say your alma mater played in a New Year's Day bowl.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

hscathletics

So 3-0 in 1919 to 136-0 in 1920? Greatest recruiting class in football history if it improved a team by 133 points in one game!

HSCTiger fan

Catholic won the Orange Bowl in 1936. I remember seeing the game ball in a trophy case. Any other current D3s win a modern day major bowl back in the day?
Hampden Sydney College

jknezek

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on August 31, 2015, 04:18:51 PM
Catholic won the Orange Bowl in 1936. I remember seeing the game ball in a trophy case. Any other current D3s win a modern day major bowl back in the day?

W&L lost the Gator Bowl on Jan 1 1951 when the star QB was struck by appendicitis the night before the game. It was widely assumed they would have won if he played. They finished that year ranked 18th in the nation. In 1951 they played No. 1 Tennessee, No. 3 Maryland, and No. 13 Virginia. Finished the year 6-4 losing to those three and Johnny Unitas at Louisville, but winning the SoCon. Only TN really buried them. Two years on came the Great Cheating Scandal and the end of W&L as a player against large football schools. It took 6 years before they again had a winning record, but went 25-1-1 from '60-'62 being voted the Washington Touchdown Club's Best Small College Team in the Nation in '61.

I've seen the Gator Bowl Ball in the trophy case. An interesting reminder of the distant past.

sigma one

I love these stories about what my son once called "the olden days."  Time was when what are now the Big Boys (and even then some of them were already Big Boys) and the Little Boys would schedule one another.  Wabash played Notre Dame 11 times in the first quarter of the 20th century.  The record:  ND 10 wins, Wabash 1 win.  After Wabash beat them in South Bend in 1905 (5-0), the Irish would not again lose at home for almost two decades.  They last played in 1924, the year the Four Horsemen were seniors.  The score ND 34 Wabash 0.  Following that season, ND went on the defeat Stanford, with the great Ernie Nevers, in the 1925 Rose Bowl, and was declared national champions. The week after Wabash and ND played, the Irish went to New York to play Army in the game that Grantland Rice wrote about:  "Outlined against  . . .October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. . ."
     During those early years, Wabash regularly played Purdue to a 16-6-1 record--Purdue had the 16. And in the late 19th century after a Wabash/Purdue game Wabash gave them the name Boilermakers.  (It's a looong story.) 
     In that era Wabash also played most of what would become the Big 10:  Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Illinois (in 1925 with Red Grange), Northwestern, Nebraska, Indiana.  They even traveled to play Texas.  Of course, they also played some YMCA teams, the Tennessee Medics, Crawfordsville High School, some regional Athletic Clubs and a variety of schools that no longer exist.
     As for the LGS biggest win:  101-0 vs. Moore's Hill, which not long after went out of business.
     As this thread shows, most schools that have been playing football for well over a century have these kinds of cherished memories.

hasanova

The University of Chicago was a charter member of the Big Ten ... not sure how long that affiliation lasted. 

sigma one

Chicago dropped football in 1939, and withdrew entirely from the Big 10 in the mid-1940s.  The Maroons Jay Berwanger won the first Heisman Trophy in 1935,

HSCTiger fan

Other than V Tech and UVA the only current FBS teams on the HSC schedule that I noticed were East Carolina, Wake Forest anf Florida. I found the info from the HSC archives http://static.psbin.com/w/a/5w5o7pnsnzvl92/Year_by_Year.pdf. Which unfortunately verifies the loss to VMI. Interesting the Tigers started the 1920 season 0 and 3 having been outscored 192 to 0. After what I assume was a change in personel on both sides of the ball, they finished the season with 5 straight wins outscoring their opponents 70 to 20. Including an epic thrashing of RMC by a score of 28 to 0. They finished the season 5-3.  Nice way to finish Tigers!
Hampden Sydney College

jknezek

Quote from: sigma one on August 31, 2015, 05:43:12 PM
Chicago dropped football in 1939, and withdrew entirely from the Big 10 in the mid-1940s.  The Maroons Jay Berwanger won the first Heisman Trophy in 1935,

Sewanee was a founding member of the SEC. Legend has it when they left they were issued a no questions asked return option in perpetuity. I have to believe that's a legend, but it's fun to think about.