BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

I'm not gonna lie...yesterday if someone had offered me Marietta -3.5 runs for the DH against Wilm I would currently be homeless. 

Along the same lines...if someone had offered me over under on runs scored by BW in game 1 against Cap at 1.5 I would likewise be homeless.  I think I would have taken the over without thinking up to probably 7.5 

That's why baseball is great.  Also why I don't gamble (for further evidence, see my predictions every week on this board).

mideastfan2

results & new standings:

Marietta sweeps Wilmington
Heidelberg sweeps Mount Union
Otterbein sweeps Muskingum
ONU and John Carroll split
B-W sweeps Capital

Marietta (8-2)
Heidelberg (8-2)
Otterbein (5-3)
Mount Union (6-4)
John Carroll (6-4)
Baldwin-Wallace (5-5)
Muskingum (4-6)
Ohio Northern (3-5)
Wilmington (2-8)
Capital (1-9)

Bears54

Quote from: Dr. Acula on April 04, 2009, 09:36:12 PM
Quote from: OAC baseball fan 3 on April 04, 2009, 08:58:25 PM
ONU has TERRIBLE coaching.  I went to the game and watched as Brian Hill was pulled with 2 outs, bases loaded in the 6th with a tie game, pitching to a person who was 1-3 vs him with a bloop single.   The next pitcher came in and gave up a triple, to make the game 7-4.  THIS IS LUDACRIS.  ONU NEEDS a pitching coach.  The fact that he was pulled right after he struck out a batter, regardless if he walked the next, is stupid.  It was HIS game to lose, no one elses.  All of the fans were in agreement and felt sorry for the kids as they watched this happen.

I see your point about giving Hill the benefit of the doubt considering he's a senior and your ace, but allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment.  My guess is the coach had the following thought process:

"It's the 6th inning and we're tied.  Hill sandwiched a couple K's around a walk, but then he threw a wild pitch, walked the pinch hitter and gave up a single to the 9 hitter to turn the lineup over.  Kidd hasn't hit him well, but he's also a .436 hitter.  Do I want to risk it if Brian is getting tired or do I think my pen can get me 1 out?" 

Obviously I wasn't there so I have no clue what I would have done in his shoes, but I wanted to take a stab at his logic.   

That's just it......there IS no logic. When it is obvious that a kid is getting tired and should be replaced Bergman has no one in the pen ready to go, or he gets his relief staff up and throwing for 4 innings before he finally pulls the starter.
Case in point is this weekend's first game at JC.
Miller was dominating through 6, had to sit through a LONG top of the 7th, and walked the first guy he faced (#6 hitter). Obviously he was tired, arm was dropping and he had no leg drive. Berg went to the mound and instead of pulling him, left him in for 5 more batters, before FINALLY going to the pen and bringing in a freshman with bases loaded and one out to face the meat of the order. ONU NEEDS A PITCHING COACH!

OAC baseball fan 3

i would like to say though that the bears defense and offense this year are atrocious.  The second game agains JC, there were NO earned runs and 5 errors... hill struck out 13 and gave up 4 hits (they considered a popup dropped a hit  to make it 5) but what else can you ask for?  who deserves to lose like that?

old scot

Dr. A.
       I'm responding to you post on the NCAC board regarding J. Quimby of Otterbien.
John was a very productive player at Wooster during his fresh and soph year at Wooster. Very good offensive player but, couldn't catch a cold on defense. Still, he could play on my team.
This is only my assumption on why he left. It's called academics. Junior and Senior Independent Studies can be pretty intimidating. It is hard to recruit good athletes and good students.

OAC baseball fan 3

I think this would be cool to see where people stand....

If you could make an OAC all star team... WHO would it consist of?  (NO BIAS OPINIONS)

2 Catchers
2 - 1b
2- 2b
2- ss
2- 3b
2- Lf
2- Cf
2- Rf

8- Pitchers

BE HONEST!!!  EVERYONE PLEASE TRY TO DO THIS!

bballfanatic1984

Quote from: OAC baseball fan 3 on April 13, 2009, 09:08:20 PM

If you could make an OAC all star team... WHO would it consist of?  (NO BIAS OPINIONS)

2 Catchers Ryan Nordquist (Leads the OAC in runners caught stealing)
2 - 1b Reily Kreisher (Has 40+ RBI's)
2- 2b
2- ss Craig Knott (Power hitting SS)
2- 3b Nate McFarland
2- Lf Jason Isles
2- Cf Cody Kidd
2- Rf

8- Pitchers Paul O'Donnel, Brandon Fredericks, David Paddock, Paul Mariotti,

I only have some of the positions down. I dont know the OAC well enough to give all the positions, anyone want to help?

inthecrease

i love the idea. just thought id tweak it a bit.

East - BW, JCU, MUC, Etta, Musky
West - Cap, Berg, ONU, Ott, Wil

1 deep at each position and 3 pitchers.
It would be a fun concept to find a time to work an all-star game into the season

Dr. Acula

Quote from: bballfanatic1984 on April 13, 2009, 10:11:03 PM
Quote from: OAC baseball fan 3 on April 13, 2009, 09:08:20 PM

2 Catchers Ryan Nordquist (Leads the OAC in runners caught stealing)
2 - 1b Reily Kreisher (Has 40+ RBI's)
2- 2b
2- ss Craig Knott (Power hitting SS)
2- 3b Nate McFarland
2- Lf Jason Isles
2- Cf Cody Kidd
2- Rf

8- Pitchers Paul O'Donnel, Brandon Fredericks, David Paddock, Paul Mariotti,

I only have some of the positions down. I dont know the OAC well enough to give all the positions, anyone want to help?

I hate doing this because I'm a Mount guy, but if you're only choosing one take a look at Quimby from Ott at SS and Cimino from Etta at 3B.  But I'll get right back on the bandwagon and suggest Matt Tracy from MUC at 2B.  He's quietly having a great year for a soph hitting .380.

I'll try to come up with my team in the next couple days.  Unfortunately I'm a little slammed at work right now so I don't have the time to do a full squad tonight.     

OAC baseball fan 3

EAST VS WEST

East - BW, JCU, MUC, Etta, Musky
West - Cap, Berg, ONU, Ott, Wil

1 deep at each position and 3 pitchers... USE EVERY TEAM... cant just leave a team out

EAST TEAM
1 Catchers
1 - 1b
1- 2b
1- ss
1- 3b
1- Lf
1- Cf
1- Rf

3- Pitchers

WEST TEAM
1 Catchers
1 - 1b
1- 2b
1- ss
1- 3b
1- Lf
1- Cf
1- Rf

3- Pitchers

Dr. Acula

BW took game 1 from Mount 3-2 in 8.  MUC gets a strong performance from Mariotti (7 IP, 0 ER, 3 H, 10 K), but can't piece together enough offense against Jaskowak who went all 8 for BW.

MUC leads game 2 in the 7th 9-1.  Sabatino is giving the Raiders a strong pitching performance in this one. 

Dr. Acula

FINAL--Berg 3, ONU 1

Lash goes 2-3 and drives in 2.  Nice efforts from all the pitchers in this one.  Koehl and Lowe from Berg and Miller from ONU.

Berg leads game 2 in the 7th 8-1.

Dr. Acula

FINAL--JCU 7, Ott 4

Game 2...JCU 3, Ott 1 top 5th.

Game 1...Musky 4, Marietta 2 in the 6th.

mideastfan2

Marietta scores 4 in the 6th and one in the 7th to come from behind and defeat Muskingum 5-4 in game one.

mideastfan2

Heidelberg finishes off SWEEP of ONU
JCU finishes off SWEEP of Otterbein
B-W and Mount Union SPLIT
Marietta and Muskingum SPLIT

updated standings:

Heidelberg (10-2)
Marietta (9-3)
John Carroll (8-4)
Mount Union (7-5)
Baldwin-Wallace (6-6)
Otterbein (5-5)