BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mideastfan2

HEID sweeps OTT
MAR splits with JCU

updated OAC standings (remaining opponents)
HEID 11-3  (at CAP, at MOUNT) - pretty much locked up first place and will host tounament
MAR  9-5  (at OTT, vs WILM)
JCU  9-5  (at WILM, vs ONU)
OTT  8-6  (vs MAR, at MUSK)
MUSK  8-6  (at B-W, vs OTT)
ONU  8-6  (vs MOUNT, at JCU)
MOUNT  5-7 (at ONU, vs CAP, vs HEID)

Gramps

The Berg's DH vs. Capital scheduled for this afternoon has been rescheduled for Weds. due to inclement weather.

old scot

With Wooster winning the NCAC title and the NCAA bid, this could possibly open up 2 pool C bids for the OAC depending upon how the conference tourney shakes out.

mideastfan2

Quote from: old scot on May 02, 2010, 08:20:23 AM
With Wooster winning the NCAC title and the NCAA bid, this could possibly open up 2 pool C bids for the OAC depending upon how the conference tourney shakes out.

I agree....but only if a team other than MAR or HEID wins the pool A bid.  If HEID or MAR win the pool A bid, then the other will get a pool C.  I don't think JCU has the resume to gain a pool C bid this year' their stregnth of schedule just isn't there when compared to teams around the country who will also be looking for pool C bids.

ScotsFan

Quote from: old scot on May 02, 2010, 08:20:23 AM

I've been thinking that JCU would have to win the OAC for the possibliity of the OAC getting 2 Pool C bids.  But the more I think about it, going by the regional rankings, Marietta is the team that looks like they may be on the outside looking in if the Pios don't win the OAC Tournament.  Say Heide wins the A bid.  Right now, JCU would, in all liklihood get the C and Marietta would be playing the waiting game.

A lot of it is going to be determined by how well both JCU and Marietta finish off the season.  The Blue Streaks have 5 games remaining and IMO, they can't afford another regular season loss.  Likewise, Marietta also has at least 5 games remaining on their schedule and they too can't afford another regular season loss IMO.

As always, there's no shortage of interest in watching how things unfold in the OAC.

Dr. Acula

I think regardless of the regional rankings Etta is currently in much better shape than JCU right now.  JCU only has 21 wins with 5 games to play (plus the conference tourney).  They haven't showed the stuff needed to rattle off a long winning streak against decent/good teams.  Outside of Moonan they haven't had consistent starting pitching.  Evanko has been great at times, but he's been a little hit or miss.  Eggleton has been hot and cold too.  And Schaberl has struggled.  With ONU and Wilm DH on back to back days they need a lot to go right.

mideastfan2

^^^^^ I agree.  You also have to remember that the Regional Rankings as they currently are, don't determine who gets in the NCAA tournament and who doesn't....they are more like a starting point, that is adjusted throughout the next couple weeks. They are just a set of rankings that will change quite a bit by the middle of May.  The final rankings that are done on selection Sunday are never released to the public, and there have been teams in the past who have made the tournament over others who were higher in the regional ranings heading into the final selection weekend.

Marietta has played a stronger schedule (SOS), and has a better opponent's winning percentage (OWP).....according to the same NCAA regional rankings.  It confuses to me as to why JCU is ranked ahead of both WOOSTER & MAR, but as I said earlier, that will change by the end of next 2 weeks.  

JCU -  .364 SOS, .546 OWP
MAR -   .392 SOS,  .587 OWP

It all depends on how they both finish the next 2 weeks, but my guess if that JCU needs to win the OAC tourny to make the Regionals.

Gramps

Congrats to Ethan Holt for being named OAC "Pitcher of the Week".  He has been a welcome addition to the Berg staff and much will be expected of him for any post season action.

Dr. Acula

The BW job was still posted as of a week or so ago.  I would think they'd want to name a successor relatively soon, but they may wait a little while so as not to steal any thunder from Coach Fisher's finale.

At 15-16, 5-9 I think it's pretty safe to say that MUC will finish with a losing record.  Sabatino and Colly started today.  I assume Mariotti and Lambert will start against Berg Friday.  Who starts Saturday then?  Beau Smith I'm guessing, but who else?

As for the other point, what I saw was basically a .500 team talent wise this year.  With a healthy Mariotti/Irwin anchoring the rotation it would have been a different story, but the lineup is just not that deep.

Gramps

BERG BATS BEAT OUT AT LEAST A SHARE OF THE OAC TITLE IN BEXLEY. The Berg 13 & 14 to Capital 2 & 9.
Ethan Holt earns win #8 in a 5 inning, 6 hit, 6 K outing. D. Brannum and R. Lizcano came in relief with 1 inning each.
The hits keep coming as the Berg totals 16 big ones with Elvin Williams banging out HR # 1 , R. Lizcano 2-5, S. Decker 1-1, G. Keen 3-3, W. Brechun 4-5, J. Lash 1-3, A. Buelow 1-2, & D. Andrzejczak 3-5.

In game 2, Birthday Boy, Steve Decker (# 22), led off the scoring with a HR in his 1st at bat. R. Lizcano hit his # 11 & # 12 in his 4-6 outing with G. Keen going 3-4, W. Brechun 5-6, J. Lash 1-4, A. Buelow 1-4 and T. McClarney 2-4.
Brian Koehl picks up win #7 with help in relief from B. Stucky & "Sly" Nino.

Gramps

Sr. catcher Steve Decker. Heidelberg, is 22 years young today. Happy Birthday Steve from your family, your team mates and the many fans that you have gained over the years.  Also a tip of the hat to you on being awarded the May "OAC SCHOLAR-ATHLETE".

Gramps

The ESPN the Magazine Academic All District 4 College Division has just named the following Heidelberg Student-Athletes to their 2009-2010 Baseball Team:

JR SS JASON LASH 1ST TEAM
SR C STEVE DECKER 2ND TEAM
JR P ANDY LOWE 2ND TEAM
JR OF ANDREW BUELOW 2ND TEAM

Dr. Acula

Something you don't see everyday....MUC's Kyle Von Duyke went 5 for 5 with a 2B in the 2nd game against Berg today and didn't score or drive in a run.  And he was hitting 5th in the order!  I'm no bookie, but the odds of that happening have to be long.

Gramps

By sweeping Mount Union 9-4 (Gm 1) & 11-4 (Gm 2), the Berg will get to host the OAC tournament at Peaceful Valley Field.

Gramps

The OAC Tournament will be held at Heidelberg's Peaceful Valley Field in Tiffin,Oh. If you have a GPS, like a Garmin, the address to enter will be: 186 Prospect Street, Tiffin, OH 44883. The same address can be used for either Map Quest or Google Map. This will be the entrance way to the field, on the right.
The schedule for the tournament is as follows:

2010 OAC Baseball Tournament

SCHEDULE AT HEIDELBERG

Thursday, May 13

Game1: #3 Seed vs. #2 Seed...Game 2: #4 Seed vs. #1 Seed

Friday, May 14

Game 3: Winners of Game1 and Game 2...Game 4: Losers of Game 1 and Game 2...Game 5: Winner ofGame 4 vs. Loser of Game 3

Saturday, May 15

Game 6: Winners of Game 3 and Game 5...Game 7: If necessary, same teams as Game 6

GAME TIMES (If the tournament is played on an unlighted field, games will begin at the earlier time.)

Game #1-1:00 or 3:30 p.m.
Game #2-4:00 or 7:00 p.m.
Game-#3 9:30 a.m. or noon
Game #4-12:30 or 3:30 p.m.
Game #5-4:00 or 7:00 p.m.
Game-#6 noon or 1:00 p.m.
Game #7-3:00 or 4:00 p.m.

The # 1 Seed is Heidelberg
The # 2 Seed is Marietta
The 3 & 4 seeds will be determined this weekend.