D 3 softball

Started by oldNorse, April 10, 2009, 06:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Congratulations to Ithaca on a great late-season run.  Seeded #8, it took a no-hitter and a one-hitter by reigning national POY Hanna Hull (Va Wes) to finally send them home.  (Hanna, why are you paying tuition, when there are probably 100+ D1 schools who would give you a free ride! :o)  Va Wes will play in the national title series.

They will be joined by either #5 Luther or #6 IWU.  Luther handed IWU their first loss earlier this afternoon (5-2; but Luther led 5-0 after 5 and IWU scored in both the 6th and 7th - no quit in these ladies!).  IWU leads the second game in the 5th, 2-0, on so far a one-hitter by 2nd team AA Ally Wiegand and a 2-run HR by 1st team AA Sam Berghoff.  IWU has never finished higher than third, so if they can hold this lead they are in new territory.  (I'll be hoping, but I'm, not sure any team can beat this Va Wes team 2 of 3, including a majority of D1 teams!)

Mr. Ypsi

Luther ladies have no quit either!  IWU scored 3 more in the top of the 7th to go up 5-0, but Luther finally got a run off Ally Wiegand before it was over (final was 5-1).  Congrats to Luther on a fine season (my oldest brother taught there for several years back in the 70s.)

SO ... tomorrow the battle of the Wesleyans for all the marbles!  I'm too lazy to research it, but anyone know if this is the first time such similarly named schools (differing only by state) have battled for the walnut-and-bronze in any sport since IWU beat Nebraska Wesleyan in the title game of men's basketball in 1997?  (With approximately 500 Concordias, probably not, but .... ::))

Mr. Ypsi

My first year of following the softball finals.  Does IWU start over with a clean sheet, and the final series is a true best 2 of 3, or is Va Wes up zero losses to one?  I think it is a straight 2 of 3, but don't know for sure.

Since 2010 (when IWU shocked everyone by winning it all despite a losing record with one week to go in the regular season) I've been more of a baseball guy.  This year IWU totally laid an egg - expected to compete, they didn't even make the conference tourney.  [I'm actually more a football guy and basketball (both genders), but tend to follow IWU wherever they go.]

Titan Q

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 27, 2018, 10:16:24 PM
My first year of following the softball finals.  Does IWU start over with a clean sheet, and the final series is a true best 2 of 3, or is Va Wes up zero losses to one?  I think it is a straight 2 of 3, but don't know for sure.

Since 2010 (when IWU shocked everyone by winning it all despite a losing record with one week to go in the regular season) I've been more of a baseball guy.  This year IWU totally laid an egg - expected to compete, they didn't even make the conference tourney.  [I'm actually more a football guy and basketball (both genders), but tend to follow IWU wherever they go.]

Clean slate.  Straight-up best of 3 series between IWU and Virginia Wesleyan.

Mr. Ypsi

The Wesleyans split the DH today.  Virginia won the opener, 6-1.  Illinois won the nightcap in 8 innings, 5-4.

A single game tomorrow for all the marbles! ;D

Mr. Ypsi

Va Wes repeats as national champions, 3-1.  Congratulations to the Marlins.

And way to go Titans!  Ranked only 24th, and seeded sixth, they made it to the final series and even gave Va Wes only their third loss of the entire season before falling just short.  The second place national finish is the best in IWU softball history.

justafan12

UT Dallas looking for a coach.  I believe the current coach is just an interim.

https://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/11174554/head-softball-coach

justafan12

D3 openings for all schools (per NFCA website):

•   University of Texas at Dallas (DIII)
•   University of Redlands (DIII)
•   Juniata College (DIII)
•   Wentworth Institute of Technology (DIII)
•   University of Dubuque (DIII)
•   Grinnell College (DIII)
•   Bethany College (DIII)
•   College of Mount Saint Vincent (DIII)
Additional openings
        Otterbien
        Emory
        Mississippi University for Women

Caz Bombers

justafan12

Breakdown of teams by region
Atlantic 5
Midwest 3
New England 2
West 5
Great Lakes 1
Central 3
North East 1
East 4

justafan12

NCAA doesn't care much for the following teams:

Moravian 29-5  NFCA rank 12 NR in the Atlantic region
Manhattanville 33-2 NFCA rank 16 Ranked 8 in the East region

deiscanton

Congrats to Emory on winning their 12th overall UAA softball title with their 3-2 win over Brandeis today.  Brandeis came into the series ranked #1 in New England, but the Eagles have now won 3 straight games vs Brandeis since play started yesterday.  Emory clinched the title on best win loss pct in UAA play-- minimum of 10 games required.   Emory is now 15-4 in the UAA, while Brandeis drops to 10-5 in the UAA with 1 game left to play.

deiscanton

Emory completed the 4-0 series sweep vs Brandeis with a 11-3 win in 5 innings via the run rule.

Emory won both Saturday games by scorelines of 12-3 (5 inn) and 6-3.

Emory won today's games by scorelines of 3-2 and 11-3 (5 inn).

Emory finished the regular season at 30-10, 16-4 in the UAA-- Emory wins the UAA softball title for the 12th time-- first for coach Adrianna Bagetta.

Brandeis finishes at 27-6-1, 10-6 in the UAA -- second place.

Both teams now await potential NCAA selection on May 6.

Emory looks like they will get 1 of the 2 Pool B picks with Thomas More getting the other Pool B pick.

Brandeis may have to see if they get one of the 18 Pool C selections.

justafan12

TLU and Linfield clinch NCAA births this weekend.  Not sure about anyone else.  Most have conference tournaments this come week.