FB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wesleydad

Quote from: MANDGSU on December 05, 2019, 11:37:57 AM
Quote from: Bartman on December 05, 2019, 09:46:15 AM
Quote from: wesleydad on December 03, 2019, 11:55:14 AM
Quote from: MANDGSU on December 03, 2019, 10:13:12 AM
After looking into stats from this past weekend and listening to the post-game interview. Both defenses played well in the second half. For Salisbury, they only gave up 30% of Union total yardage in the 2nd half. I think the defense made some timely interceptions late 2nd and early 3rd that created separation and this was aided by some personnel changes in the back 4. The good thing that was mentioned by Salisbury coach was, it's always good to know that you can improve on somethings after a win, especially in playoffs. Another stat that was mentioned was the punt coverage, the few times that Union forced Salisbury to punt, they were unable to flip the field as oppose to the few times Salisbury forced Union to punt, Salisbury was able to take advantage and create good field position. Going forward, I expect the defensive coverage unit to tighten up as most of the routes which was mentioned during the post-game interview were good timing routes that can be corrected from a defensive standpoint. Another thing that was mentioned in the post-game interview was a 3rd and 6/7 play, that created a big pile, I was impressed with how the offensive lineman help push the QB to a first down, that was a defining moment for Salisbury as I believe Salisbury went onto get it's final td.

Looking ahead, Salisbury has a common opponent in TCNJ with Muhlenberg, never really look into those transitive things as one game was played Week 2, while the other week 8, we know teams change from Week 2 to Week 8 (i.e. Wesley v. Del Val), but it appeared that both games flowed the same. Again, Salisbury appears to be peaking offensively and defensively they can learn from Union game and scheme to improve to take the defense to another level of play. Looking forward to the match-up. Will look into more detail of the Mules as the week progress. I'm just happy for the players and coaches that they can move on for another week, get one more game for Seniors,more reps for underclassman and such.

Muhlenberg has given up 0 points so far in the playoffs.  That has to be concerning.  I am pretty sure they won't shut Salisbury out, but 0 in 2 round of the playoffs is rather impressive.
The 2 teams that Muhlenberg shut out were MIT and Brockport. MIT is understandable, and Brockport has been struggling at times on Offense, but still impressive to shutout the E8 champs. I was even more impressed with how strong the Mules O was against a tough Brockport D. The Mules DC is Kory David who might be the best DC in D3 football. He will be quite challenged to come up with a game plan to stop Salisbury from what I saw against Union. If Salisbury wins they will need to play well on both sides of the ball, the Mules will make more stops than Union, but will the Seagulls D make enough stops? It should be a great game .

Bartman, I think your assessment is much closer to my initial thoughts the past two days. Muhlenberg has been dominating teams and to shutout its opponents in the playoffs two weeks in a row as Wally and Wesleydad mentioned is both unprecedented and equally very impressive. However, looking at both MIT and Brockport based upon our ERFP, MIT was not even ranked (probably 7th seed in quadrant) and Brockport (6th seed in quadrant) was listed as the 8th best team under a good 7th ranked Hobart team that had beat them 33 to 7 earlier in the year. I think many of the teams we had ranked higher would have put up similar performance against a young, but overachieving Brockport team, which had 80 to 85% of the starting players being underclassmen. Now regarding Salisbury, I think playing Union could have been a blessing in disguise as they surprised Salisbury with their game plan. I went back and looked at all of Union's top games (Ithaca, RPI, etc...) they actually ran the ball and was very effective doing so. I think Salisbury may have over compensated for that, especially considering the LL OPOY was Irabor at HB. Regarding Salisbury upcoming game against Muhlenberg, I think it comes down to Salisbury protecting the ball, which when running the option is always key and Salisbury not over compensating for last week mistakes, but respecting and taking mental notes on how Union took advantage of something Salisbury coaches weren't expecting. Furthermore, continuing to be good on special teams, which can be taken for granted, I think Salisbury did a great job in coverage last week and controlling field position. Honestly, as a fan watching Salisbury the past 15 year's or so, I've watched them play Muhlenberg maybe twice, once back in 2007 in the 1st round of the playoffs, where Muhlenberg jumped out early and Salisbury stormed back to tie game only to fumble twice on it's final two drives and ended up losing 31-21. I think Salisbury had 10 or 13 turnovers that game including turnover on downs and only lost by 10. I think Salisbury had the better athletes then, but Muhlenberg were well coached and played good assignment football and played very hard nose football. Then the 2nd game was an ECAC bowl in 2013, where Salisbury escaped with a 21-19 win, prevailing on a failed two-point conversion by Muhlenberg. Although those two games were some year's ago, if you see a trend, Muhlenberg has always been good defensively, holding the 2007 team to 21 that average 39 ppg and the slightly above average 2013 squad that only average 28 ppg to 21. So the magic number for me is 21. Knowing both teams are much better than their respective 2007 and 2013 squads, offensively for sure, the magic number for Salisbury is 21.  I'll give my prediction tomorrow on my outcome and possible score.

Yep, 21 seems about right.  Whenever Salisbury struggled against Wesley they seldom reached 21 and had turnovers.  the Gulls have been clean so far this year, but the Mules will be a tough out.  They always played Wesley tough and it was due to their strong defense and discipline.  Should be a good game tomorrow.

UfanBill

Watching Salisbury vs Muhlenberg. The Gulls DBs have absolutely no clue. Both 1st quarter TDs were completely blown coverages. How can a team be undefeated and be so inept?

My point is after last week you had to be working on your cover 2 right?...
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Teamski

Not looking good for Salisbury at the half down 17-0.  Pretty disappointing.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

Bartman

Muhlenberg defense is as advertised.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Ice Bear

Ice says it's amazing how a team can look almost unstoppable against another good team one week and then face a really good team and look inept. Great season for the Gulls, the Mules are just nasty. We'll see if they are top tier nasty next week.
A long time fan of DIII Football!

Teamski

Quote from: Bartman on December 07, 2019, 01:07:55 PM
Muhlenberg defense is as advertised.

More importantly, the Mules' offense moved the ball effectively as well.  Once they got ahead, that was game.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

Oline89

Salisbury made some very questionable decisions offensively. Passing to the end zone on fourth and one when they were driving the first half?  Weird

jmcozenlaw

Wesleydad, you were right on with your close score prediction in the DelVal game. My Liberty League friends on the other hand..........................not so much. ;)

61-14, 56-14 and 52-10 "predictions" as well as a ""DelVal gets absolutely destroyed" comment, with no score attached, from the LL crowd. We're looking at 24-21 if Nigro doesn't fumble at the 15 yard line.

I can't lie and say that I saw that close of a game coming either, after what NCC did at Mount Union.

DelVal's defense returns a ton next year so they could be even better!!

It's sad that the DelVal vs. Wesley matchup appears to be over.......................but I hear a very interesting replacement for Wesley if in fact it does happen (will involve a flight). I have been sworn to secrecy. :)

MRMIKESMITH

First I want to congratulate the Seniors on an awesome season,  they played their hearts out.  Secondly, congrats to a good Muhlenberg team,  they played very well.  Now, to my initial thoughts,  this game really  hurt as many former players from the 70s 80s 90s, and 00s were all present and our expectations where we thought this team could go fell short.  Salisbury did not capitalize on their opening possession after the defense had stop Muhlenbergs opening drive. I think the way the drive ended with a self inflicted fumble really hurt the confidence of the players and catapulted Muhlenbergs play. Salisbury had a little carryover from the Union game defensively with missed assignments in the secondary which led to two early touchdowns. Muhlenberg from there on pretty much dictated the game on both sides of the ball, they have a really good front 7 and had good CB play from 23. I was somewhat surprised by some play calling offensively throughout as I expected to see more drop back passes early on especially bubble or quick outs, there offense really looked like the triple option from previous years that had similar playoff exits and occasional losses to the good Wesley teams.  I was impressed with the defense with the exception of the early  touchdowns, as they played well until the last td, in which the safety was in good position,  but didn't turn his head around.  Offensively, I expected much more to open the Muhlenberg defense up, maybe coming out in shotgun, but that never happen. There were quite a bit of missed opportunities with player execution, but that was dictated by Muhlenbergs front 7 being super aggressive in stopping the toss and playaction off the toss play. Overall, I expected so much more from the coaches and players on both sides. The outlook is bright as the major catalyst return on both sides. Although,  it'll be hard to replace LB #5, and a couple key DL and offensive lineman,  I'm hopeful for next year.  Will we make it to quarters,  not sure as we continue to face similar issues previous Salisbury teams faced. We have to really become a true spread with run and pass out of shotgun and pistol and touch up the secondary.  I think the secondary will be better as most of them return,  I think having a offseasons together will help with understanding scheme and such.  Again,  congrats to the Seniors,  they were all first class players and wish them well in their future endeavors.

Bartman

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on December 07, 2019, 04:08:33 PM
Wesleydad, you were right on with your close score prediction in the DelVal game. My Liberty League friends on the other hand..........................not so much. ;)

61-14, 56-14 and 52-10 "predictions" as well as a ""DelVal gets absolutely destroyed" comment, with no score attached, from the LL crowd. We're looking at 24-21 if Nigro doesn't fumble at the 15 yard line.

I can't lie and say that I saw that close of a game coming either, after what NCC did at Mount Union.

It's sad that the DelVal vs. Wesley matchup appears to be over.......................but I hear a very interesting replacement for Wesley if in fact it does happen (will involve a flight). I have been sworn to secrecy. :)
hey, JM I predicted the Aggies losing by 2 TDs(42-28)...BTW, Aggies should get my early pre-season vote for No.1 in the ERFP....can I be your friend now ::)
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Bartman on December 07, 2019, 06:16:48 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on December 07, 2019, 04:08:33 PM

hey, JM I predicted the Aggies losing by 2 TDs(42-28)...BTW, Aggies should get my early pre-season vote for No.1 in the ERFP....can I be your friend now ::)

Bartman, I missed your prediction somehow. Of course you can be my friend. My wife went to Hobart/William Smith. From some town called Fayeteville, NY. I've wiped away most of the New York from her over the last 20 years. ;)

JT2

Go Mules!!! I'll be rooting for any East team that nabs a title for the first time since Guns and Roses ruled the music world.
Tip - Stay young by having your first kid when you're almost 50.

If there are no dogs in Heaven when I die, I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers.

AO

Quote from: JT2 on December 07, 2019, 07:59:40 PM
Go Mules!!! I'll be rooting for any East team that nabs a title for the first time since Guns and Roses ruled the music world.
You're going to have keep waiting.  Muhlenberg is a South region team.

UfanBill

Quote from: AO on December 07, 2019, 08:52:48 PM
Quote from: JT2 on December 07, 2019, 07:59:40 PM
You're going to have keep waiting.  Muhlenberg is a South region team.

East team not East Region team...
Muhlenberg is in Allentown, Pennsylvania. Which is definitely more East than South geographically.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳