World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScotsFan

Quote from: Hoops Fan on July 06, 2007, 11:34:01 PM

Man.  That was a treat.  I can't remember the last time I watched a world class match where the US was clearly the better squad.  Our under-20 team is noticeably better than Brazil.

I totally agree.  It was nice to watch this team play tonight against Brazil.  I  was interested to see how this US squad would respond after their thrashing of Poland against one of the favorites to win it all in Brazil and not only did the Americans beat the Brazilians, they may have just knocked them out of the tournament completely!

Quote from: Hoops Fan on July 06, 2007, 11:34:01 PM
...and Freddy Adu is only occasionally making ridiculous solo runs when there is a smart pass available.  He might actually beat that ego after all.

As for Adu, that move he made in the corner to set up Altidore's 2nd goal was a thing of beauty.  Altidore looks like he could be a special player for the US to look forward to have playing for them as well.

We have to remember though, the Americans began this tournament with a disappointing draw with Korea before they exploded for 6 goals against Poland and their win over Brazil tonight.  Hopefully, these kids don't get too full of themselves and keep playing to the level that brought them to winning their group.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

ScotsFan, did you catch the beginning.  He wasn't as involved in the second half (it seemed like there was a lot of fatigue for the US players), but what did you think of Rogers.  He totally kept the pressure on until Freddy could get some focus.

By the way, I was pretty impressed with some of the individual skill of the young Brazilians.  I wonder if they can keep this crop from having their creativity stymied by a European career?  The kid with the armband last night was unbelievable; he should be ready to take over central midfield when Ronaldinho is done.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

cawcdad

I only saw the second half, and what a fun match to watch. I was very impressed with the US midfield play and how much better they were than the Brazilians at working the ball around and building the attack. Adu and Altidore just seem to know exactly where the other is going to be. I was a bit concerned though at what seemed like a lack of speed by the US defense. The Brazilians went to the long through ball (not typical Brazilian soccer) to run onto and easily got behind the defense on a number of occasions

ScotsFan

Quote from: Hoops Fan on July 07, 2007, 10:16:14 AM

ScotsFan, did you catch the beginning.  He wasn't as involved in the second half (it seemed like there was a lot of fatigue for the US players), but what did you think of Rogers.  He totally kept the pressure on until Freddy could get some focus.

Yeah, I missed about the first four minutes or so of the match.  I totally agree in that many of the US players looked like they were wearing down late in the match.  And I too was impressed with Rogers.  He just seem to make run after run up the wing and he had some pretty sweet crosses as well.

What does everybody feel about playing these matches on the field turf?  I read an article on Foxsoccer.com and it seems to be a point of contreversy between FIFA (who approves playing on the surface) and many of the teams playing in the tournament, especially South American teams like Brazil.  It does look like it would take some getting used to as the ball doesn't seem to take true bounces all the time.  Balls with spin check up a lot.  And it also seemed that a lot of players are having trouble with the ball getting caught between their foot and the turf.  Apparently FIFA is in favor trying to get more and more venues to go with the field turf.  I for one am more of a traditionalist as I feel that soccer should be played on grass.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Field turf just keeps getting better and better, as technology improves I think it will be less and less of an issue.

cawcdad,

Brazil had to go with the long ball at the end because they had the speed advantage and they just could not get the ball through the middle at all in the first half.

The US defense might have been a step slow (I think its more Brazil being a step fast), but they were always in position, every time.  A lot of confidence in that group.

This might be the first generation of US footballers who grow up knowing they belong.

WLCALUM83

7/07 Copa America results:

Uruguay 4, Venezuela 1

Brazil 6, Chile 1

WLCALUM83

7/08 Copa America Finals:

Mexico 6, Paraguay 0

Argentina 4, Peru 0

Semi-Final Matchups are:

Uruguay vs. Brazil

Mexico vs. Argentina

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Altidore goes down and the U-20's need an own goal to take Uruguay to extras.  Where's the consistency?

WLCALUM83

Brazil beats Uruguay on penalty kicks

Argentina knocks off Mexico

IMHO those results aren't surprises.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

No, the Copa is awfully boring this time around.  Argentina brought the squad they should have had at the World Cup and everyone else sent the B team.

The U-20 Championships are the place to be this summer.  USA-Austria on Saturday for a spot in the semi-finals (against the winner of Spain-Czech Republic, also tomorrow).

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The US U-20's go out in a disappointing finish to Austria.  They just need to be more consistent.  The Czechs looked very good in eliminating Spain in penalties.

Stinger

I did not find the Copa boring whatsoever. Argentina was a joy to watch, and Mexico was a completely different team than what they showed in the Gold Cup.  I found it more fun to watch than the U-20's (plus, who doesn't enjoy Roy Hudson and his wacky comments).

How surprising was it that Brazil hammered Argentina like they did tonight?  Baptista's goal was incredible.   I never saw that result coming.

As for the US U-20's, they stunk it up in the 2nd half, and let 2 poor goals in. Im still trying to figure out how that first goal snuck in between Seitz and the defender on the near post.    I don't think Seitz should have been in there. It didn't seem like he had recovered enough.   But, the future is bright, no doubt about it.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

joepieters

Quote from: Stinger on July 15, 2007, 08:54:02 PM
How surprising was it that Brazil hammered Argentina like they did tonight?  Baptista's goal was incredible.   I never saw that result coming.

Those of us that follow the Gunners were quite stunned to see the Baptista goal as well.  Never saw that quality in a year at the Emirates.

I agree that the Copa was a fabulous watch.

Looking forward to the U-20 final this weekend.  Although, as well as the Argentines are playing it could be a coronation as opposed to a contest.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

They need to thank God that there's nothing else to do in Argentina.

SU97

Quote from: Hoops Fan on July 07, 2007, 07:42:57 PM

Field turf just keeps getting better and better, as technology improves I think it will be less and less of an issue.

cawcdad,

Brazil had to go with the long ball at the end because they had the speed advantage and they just could not get the ball through the middle at all in the first half.

The US defense might have been a step slow (I think its more Brazil being a step fast), but they were always in position, every time.  A lot of confidence in that group.

This might be the first generation of US footballers who grow up knowing they belong.

The USMNT has found success at the youth level before: 

1989  U-20  4th place at World Youth Championship (WYC)
1993  U-20  8th place at WYC
1999  U-20  loss in second round
1999  U-17  advanced to semi's of U-17 WYC
2001  U-20  lost in second round
2003  U-20  advanced to quarterfinals
2003  U-17  advanced to quarterfinals
2005  U-20  advanced to Round of 16
2005  U-17  advanced to quarterfinals

although not exactly "Youth", the "olympic team" of U-23:

1991  U-23  Gold Medal Pan Am Games
1999  U-23  Bronze Medal Pan Am Games
2000  U-23  advanced to semi's of Sydney Olympics

Unfortunately the US has not been able to replicate the results from the youth teams at the MNT level.  I think it would be fair to argue that the current crop of national team players grew up knowing they belong (at the youth level) but it hasn't translated into simular results at the World Cup.  Although I agree the U-20 WYC was much more enjoyable to watch from a US team perspective, the Copa America was probably more important if we were looking for more respect around the globe (ie: outside CONCACAF) ...  well then that result sure didn't help us...

We still have a long way to go, and we need to keep sending top kids overseas if we are ever going to compete at the highest levels of the World Cup.