Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WLCALUM83

Men's Opening Round Final:

#8 Denison 12, ARV Adrian 11  2 OT  (Bulldogs led for a good share of this game).

dahlby

Redland's over Oxy 15-14 in first round Women's NCAA D3  LAX action on Wednesday.
Redland's will travel back east to take on Catholic University this weekend.
Good luck to the Lady Bulldogs.

NCF

Quote from: dahlby on May 10, 2012, 10:07:48 AM
Redland's over Oxy 15-14 in first round Women's NCAA D3  LAX action on Wednesday.
Redland's will travel back east to take on Catholic University this weekend.
Good luck to the Lady Bulldogs.

Close game, however, I have Redlands in my final eight.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

NCF

Well, with Gettysburg losing in the quarters, I'm down to two from my final eight and they are playing each other in the semi's. At least I'll have one in the finals.  :)
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11

Dr. Acula

I'm very excited that Mount Union is adding lacrosse.  They hired the HC from SUNY Plattsburgh to be the men's HC.  Obviously I don't know anything about him really, but I like that 1) he's from NY, 2) he had a pretty good record as a HC.  I saw a blurb about a couple of upstate NY kids coming next year.  I'll be interested to see what his recruiting strategy is.  I'd have to think the roster will be very NY heavy.

NCF

Quote from: Dr. Acula on June 13, 2012, 12:06:45 PM
I'm very excited that Mount Union is adding lacrosse.  They hired the HC from SUNY Plattsburgh to be the men's HC.  Obviously I don't know anything about him really, but I like that 1) he's from NY, 2) he had a pretty good record as a HC.  I saw a blurb about a couple of upstate NY kids coming next year.  I'll be interested to see what his recruiting strategy is.  I'd have to think the roster will be very NY heavy.
At least to start, however, lacrosse is becoming big in the illinois. More high schools have been adding the sport. I would think you'll see more Midwest kids wanting to play in college over the next few years.Even my son's former h.s. wants to add it soon and I never thought I'd see the day, but it's coming.

Dr. Acula

Lacrosse is picking up steam in NE Ohio (where Mount is).  The larger Cleveland private schools and suburban schools have had programs a while.  Perhaps as those programs outside of Cleveland in the Akron/Canton area develop at the HS level they can recruit locally as well.  For now he'd basically be stuck recruiting Cleveland and suburban Columbus (the undisputed king of HS lacrosse in Ohio).  The top HS in Columbus are sending 6+ kids to college lacrosse yearly so there's numbers down there. 

NCF

Sounds like lacrosse is taking hold of the midwest.

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Dr. Acula on June 13, 2012, 03:06:13 PM
Lacrosse is picking up steam in NE Ohio (where Mount is).  The larger Cleveland private schools and suburban schools have had programs a while.  Perhaps as those programs outside of Cleveland in the Akron/Canton area develop at the HS level they can recruit locally as well.  For now he'd basically be stuck recruiting Cleveland and suburban Columbus (the undisputed king of HS lacrosse in Ohio).  The top HS in Columbus are sending 6+ kids to college lacrosse yearly so there's numbers down there.

You are right, My sons go to this high school and many kids go out east to play after high school. It originally really hurt our Baseball program because with all the success and opportunities the kids have now after high school. Many kids stop playing baseball in middle school and play lacrosse. When a sport wins state championships every year it is hard for the other sports to compete for that talent. Many other schools in Suburban Columbus have added Lacrosse and quite a few kids go on to play at OWU.

NCF

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on June 14, 2012, 11:55:21 AM

You are right, My sons go to this high school and many kids go out east to play after high school. It originally really hurt our Baseball program because with all the success and opportunities the kids have now after high school. Many kids stop playing baseball in middle school and play lacrosse. When a sport wins state championships every year it is hard for the other sports to compete for that talent. Many other schools in Suburban Columbus have added Lacrosse and quite a few kids go on to play at OWU.
Anytime you add a new sport, the existing sports take a hit for awhile. Evetually, things will even out, but lacrosse is hot right now.

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: newcardfan on June 14, 2012, 12:02:10 PM

Anytime you add a new sport, the existing sports take a hit for awhile. Evetually, things will even out, but lacrosse is hot right now.
We added Lacrosse in 1972 as a club and 74 as a Varsity sport. The team started having great success in the 90's and Baseball is just recovering.

NCF

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on June 14, 2012, 12:14:51 PM
Quote from: newcardfan on June 14, 2012, 12:02:10 PM

We added Lacrosse in 1972 as a club and 74 as a Varsity sport. The team started having great success in the 90's and Baseball is just recovering.
You are way ahead of Illinois. A state tournament won't be sponsored by the IHSA until a minimum of 65 boys and 40 girls teams are established.

Ralph Turner

The Comanches, Apaches and Kiowas, the "horsemen tribes" of the Texas plains, did not play lacrosse.

The Caddoes in east Texas were peaceful farmers. The Hueco and Tonkawa in central Texas were afraid of the Comanches, and the Karankawas on the Gulf Coast were too busy inventing smelly mosquito repellents.

NCF

Quote from: Ralph Turner on June 14, 2012, 09:51:00 PM
The Comanches, Apaches and Kiowas, the "horsemen tribes" of the Texas plains, did not play lacrosse.

The Caddoes in east Texas were peaceful farmers. The Hueco and Tonkawa in central Texas were afraid of the Comanches, and the Karankawas on the Gulf Coast were too busy inventing smelly mosquito repellents.
??????????

Ralph Turner

Quote from: newcardfan on June 14, 2012, 10:20:37 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on June 14, 2012, 09:51:00 PM

??????????

Why lacrosse is not indigenous to Texas?   ;)