MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

URockets

Quote from: havej on September 12, 2013, 02:30:36 PM
The guy doesn't lack for confidence.

Is that what kids are calling it these days.   ::).......

Confidence and those remarks were something entirely different where I come from.

John Gleich

WIAC vs. CCIW matchups for 2013-14

11/15-16 UWRF @ Wheaton's tournament (could meet in round 2)

12/14 UW Platte @ Carthage
12/28 UW LaX vs Augustana (@ JustAGame Fieldhouse, Wisconsin Dells)
12/28 UW Stout vs Millikin (@ Daytona Beach)
12/31 UWSP @ North Central

The marquis matchup is the last one, to be sure. First time the programs have ever met. Unfortunately, it's at 4:00 on New Year's eve... won't be much of a crowd.

I had hoped to be there, too... to see a great game, and the Airplane Hangar with a fresh coat of paint (and those other enhancements...).
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

robertgoulet

You win! You always do!

toooldtohoop

WOW!  The improvements really look great.  Congratulations NCC.

markerickson

Today I received an alumni announcement from NPU.  It profiled four alums, including Russ Bradburd, who said this.

"I coached and recruited basketball players for over 20 years at the University of Texas El Paso, New Mexico State, and in Ireland. It was in Ireland that I made a radical career change and decided to become a writer. I am currently an author and an assistant professor in the Department of English at New Mexico State."

He also said, "My passion was basketball. I was fortunate to be on the NCAA Championship team in 1978–79. It was bittersweet for me, however, because I did not make the team my senior year." 

He concludes, "I was at North Park at a very special time in the school's history. Only UCLA has 3 consecutive NCAA championships like North Park does. It is hard to quantify the importance of friends, the connection to Chicago, the multicultural environment, and the windows of opportunity that were opened to me."

Being cut in his senior year after playing on a national championship team the previous year...wow!

Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

John Gleich

Quote from: robertgoulet on September 19, 2013, 10:53:31 AM
Some pictures of the finished Gregory Arena bleacher project at NCC. Looking good, Billy Ray!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.621975547842000.1073741834.179399668766259&type=3

That looks really, really good... it encloses the space and makes is seem much smaller (though, perhaps that's just the perspective of the pictures...). In this case, that's a big positive.

Here's a "Before" picture I found:

I wondered if the seats behind the basket went high enough to provide a good visual backdrop...

Certainly, something is better than nothing, but I wondered if they wouldn't go high enough and there would be a gap in the backdrop... something lower, but not high enough to "cover" the backboard, making it uneven (and perhaps even worse than the lack-of-a-backdrop before).

But as I compared NCC's new bleachers to what UWSP has had for the last decade or so:

... they look like a similar height.

This looks like a top notch upgrade for NCC.
UWSP Men's Basketball

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Gregory Sager

Quote from: John Gleich on September 19, 2013, 09:42:05 AM

The marquis matchup is the last one, to be sure. First time the programs have ever met. Unfortunately, it's at 4:00 on New Year's eve... won't be much of a crowd.

I had hoped to be there, too... to see a great game, and the Airplane Hangar with a fresh coat of paint (and those other enhancements...).

You forgot one, PS:

12/21 North Park @ UWO
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

Quote from: John Gleich on September 19, 2013, 01:46:38 PM
Quote from: robertgoulet on September 19, 2013, 10:53:31 AM
Some pictures of the finished Gregory Arena bleacher project at NCC. Looking good, Billy Ray!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.621975547842000.1073741834.179399668766259&type=3

That looks really, really good... it encloses the space and makes is seem much smaller (though, perhaps that's just the perspective of the pictures...). In this case, that's a big positive.

Here's a "Before" picture I found:

I wondered if the seats behind the basket went high enough to provide a good visual backdrop...

Certainly, something is better than nothing, but I wondered if they wouldn't go high enough and there would be a gap in the backdrop... something lower, but not high enough to "cover" the backboard, making it uneven (and perhaps even worse than the lack-of-a-backdrop before).

But as I compared NCC's new bleachers to what UWSP has had for the last decade or so:

... they look like a similar height.

This looks like a top notch upgrade for NCC.

A tally of the new seats reveals that 2 sections of 330 seats each (660 total) now adorn the north wall. The seating is on either side of the two sets of double entrance doors, and is 12 rows high. These seats replace the old section of black folding chairs. Ten rows of seats are positioned behind the baskets at both the east and west ends of the court with each section containing 204 seats (408 total). Ten rows are also positioned against the south wall, behind the benches and scorer's table. This is the "VIP" section with each of the 202 seats having molded cushioned seats, backs, and arms, and being designated for alumni donors, other donors/friends of the program, current player's parents, and former players. The new seats total 1,270 and, when added to the 1,208 (official fire marshal's figure) balcony seats, bring the new Hangar seating capacity total to 2,478.   
Additional seating can be positioned in the southeast and southwest corners if necessary.
In a break with tradition, the NCC student section will shift from the east to the west end seats.

matblake

John Gleich

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 19, 2013, 04:13:57 PM
Quote from: John Gleich on September 19, 2013, 09:42:05 AM

You forgot one, PS:

12/21 North Park @ UWO

Indeed I did.

12/21 North Park @ UWO

I wonder, as the D-III trend goes away (at least a little bit) from the fully-regional to an exanded-regional, to a national (as long as you meet our stipulations on the other games) schedule if we'll see more or less of these games.

We've definitely seen an up-turn of these games since they went to the administrative regions. When I played at UWSP, we didn't play a single CCIW team and the matchups across the conference lines were few and far between.

Now, there seem to be more games played between the conferences, though few, if any series lasting longer than a single home-and-home 2-year agreement (UWSP has had two different home-and-home series with Augustana, and one with Elmhurst. North Central will likely be making the trip to Central Wisconsin in 14-15... but will it continue?). I had hoped that IWU/UWW's series would continue, but it has not.
UWSP Men's Basketball

Dennis_Prikkel

Quote from: markerickson on September 19, 2013, 11:54:53 AM
Today I received an alumni announcement from NPU.  It profiled four alums, including Russ Bradburd, who said this.

"I coached and recruited basketball players for over 20 years at the University of Texas El Paso, New Mexico State, and in Ireland. It was in Ireland that I made a radical career change and decided to become a writer. I am currently an author and an assistant professor in the Department of English at New Mexico State."

He also said, "My passion was basketball. I was fortunate to be on the NCAA Championship team in 1978–79. It was bittersweet for me, however, because I did not make the team my senior year." 

He concludes, "I was at North Park at a very special time in the school's history. Only UCLA has 3 consecutive NCAA championships like North Park does. It is hard to quantify the importance of friends, the connection to Chicago, the multicultural environment, and the windows of opportunity that were opened to me."

Being cut in his senior year after playing on a national championship team the previous year...wow!

Rus is a good friend.  He and Jerry Noreen were 11th and 12th men on the 79 championship team.  They played more than the average 11th and 12th men because NPC was very good.  Their senior year in 1980 they were both cut in favor of some talented freshmen. 
I am determined to be wise, but this was beyond me.

AndOne

Quote from: dennis_prikkel on September 21, 2013, 06:57:06 PM

Rus is a good friend.  He and Jerry Noreen were 11th and 12th men on the 79 championship team.  They played more than the average 11th and 12th men because NPC was very good.  Their senior year in 1980 they were both cut in favor of some talented freshmen.

Do many D3 teams cut players?
My experience has been that players usually cut themselves (quit) primarily due to lack of playing time, and sometimes to concentrate on studies or out of a need to work to help defray family expense.
I know that some schools have a policy against cutting freshmen. Not sure about upperclassmen.

Pat? Anyone?

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AndOne on September 22, 2013, 01:45:43 PM

My experience has been that players usually cut themselves (quit) primarily due to lack of playing time, and sometimes to concentrate on studies or out of a need to work to help defray family expense.
I know that some schools have a policy against cutting freshmen. Not sure about upperclassmen.

Pat? Anyone?

In terms of in-house cutting policies, I can't speak for any school other than my own. But I can augment what Dennis said about North Park making preseason cuts during the glory days. Back in the late '70s and on into the '80s, every Covenant kid in the country who knew how to dribble a basketball thought that he could come to the Park and get on the team and perhaps get himself a national championship ring. A lot of local players thought that, too. And they were wrong. Dennis is talking about the freshman classes that arrived during the threepeat era and forced marginal upperclassmen such as Rus Bradburd and Jerry "Wo-Fat" Noreen to get cut. Well, I was a freshman in 1979-80, and I can attest that a lot of my classmates who were very good high-school players, players who could've done well in the lesser CCIW programs of that era (North Central, Elmhurst, Wheaton, and Carroll), tried out for the team and didn't make it. Seven of my classmates who were either the top scorer or the second-leading scorer on the basketball teams of their respective high schools and who got cut by Coach McCarrell during tryouts in the fall of '79 then formed an intramural team that winter called Joe's Bar & Grill, and I swear without exaggerating that they could've beaten North Central that year (the Cardinals went 2-24, 0-16 in 1979-80). And Joe's Bar & Grill didn't even win the NPC intramural title; the seminary team (Qumran State University) beat them in the championship game.

Returning players who aren't on the team the following year usually are the ones who take themselves out of the picture, for the reasons you mentioned. But that doesn't always happen. For a lot of schools, whether a team makes cuts or not really depends upon the interest level of potential players and upon program resources. And, in the case of certain leagues such as the WIAC, cut policies are also contingent upon league rules governing roster limits; I believe that WIAC teams have a ceiling in terms of how many players they're allowed to have on the roster (I don't know that number off of the top of my head; John Gleich probably does). When interest is high and the program is very good (as it was at North Park back in my era), kids will come out of the woodwork and often can't be dissuaded from trying out -- so the coach is forced to make cuts. And if the program only has just so many uniforms to go around, or just so many spaces on the bus, or just so many coaches to be able to coach a certain number of kids, cuts will have to be made in that case as well.

Tom Slyder will most likely be in a position this year in which he's forced to make cuts. He had a total of 33 guys show up for the preseason meeting during NPU's orientation week in August. A few of those 33 guys were non-recruits who either came to NPU for other reasons and thought that they could also win a spot on the basketball roster or who came to NPU specifically to make the team without getting any prompting or encouragement from the coaching staff. But Tom Slyder and Cordell Henry also recruited a full boat of newbies, and there's a lot of talent there among those newbies. And here's where it becomes difficult for Tom: There's several guys who've played for the Vikings for the past couple of years who -- let's be frank -- really aren't up to snuff in terms of being CCIW-caliber players. But they were on the roster, and often got playing time, because coaching-staff turnover and other factors were holding down the number of competent recruits that the Park was bringing in, leaving roster spaces (and rotation spaces) that had to be filled by whomever was on hand. But now that the current coaching staff has had a full year to recruit and has brought in a large class, the Rus Bradburd / Jerry Noreen scenario is taking place again at North Park. Tom's hope is that the returnees who don't have a future as Vikings will all see the handwriting on the wall and will stop by his office this fall to tell him that they won't be trying out, in order to spare themselves (and him) the discomfort of having the "I'm sorry, but you didn't make this year's team" conversation in his office after October 15. Several of them have already stopped by his office to inform him that they're bowing out. He's hoping that more of them will come to that realization and will follow the lead of their peers. Some of the unrecruited freshmen as well have informed either Tom or Cordell that they won't be trying out, after having gotten a taste in open gym of just how good the recruited players are.

I've never been a coach, but cutting players has to be one of the hardest, if not the hardest, things that a coach has to do.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gotberg

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 22, 2013, 05:55:26 PM
Quote from: AndOne on September 22, 2013, 01:45:43 PM

Pat? Anyone?

In terms of in-house cutting policies, I can't speak for any school other than my own. But I can augment what Dennis said about North Park making preseason cuts during the glory days. Back in the late '70s and on into the '80s, every Covenant kid in the country who knew how to dribble a basketball thought that he could come to the Park and get on the team and perhaps get himself a national championship ring. A lot of local players thought that, too. And they were wrong. Dennis is talking about the freshman classes that arrived during the threepeat era and forced marginal upperclassmen such as Rus Bradburd and Jerry "Wo-Fat" Noreen to get cut. Well, I was a freshman in 1979-80, and I can attest that a lot of my classmates who were very good high-school players, players who could've done well in the lesser CCIW programs of that era (North Central, Elmhurst, Wheaton, and Carroll), tried out for the team and didn't make it. Seven of my classmates who were either the top scorer or the second-leading scorer on the basketball teams of their respective high schools and who got cut by Coach McCarrell during tryouts in the fall of '79 then formed an intramural team that winter called Joe's Bar & Grill, and I swear without exaggerating that they could've beaten North Central that year (the Cardinals went 2-24, 0-16 in 1979-80). And Joe's Bar & Grill didn't even win the NPC intramural title; the seminary team (Qumran State University) beat them in the championship game.

Returning players who aren't on the team the following year usually are the ones who take themselves out of the picture, for the reasons you mentioned. But that doesn't always happen. For a lot of schools, whether a team makes cuts or not really depends upon the interest level of potential players and upon program resources. And, in the case of certain leagues such as the WIAC, cut policies are also contingent upon league rules governing roster limits; I believe that WIAC teams have a ceiling in terms of how many players they're allowed to have on the roster (I don't know that number off of the top of my head; John Gleich probably does). When interest is high and the program is very good (as it was at North Park back in my era), kids will come out of the woodwork and often can't be dissuaded from trying out -- so the coach is forced to make cuts. And if the program only has just so many uniforms to go around, or just so many spaces on the bus, or just so many coaches to be able to coach a certain number of kids, cuts will have to be made in that case as well.

Tom Slyder will most likely be in a position this year in which he's forced to make cuts. He had a total of 33 guys show up for the preseason meeting during NPU's orientation week in August. A few of those 33 guys were non-recruits who either came to NPU for other reasons and thought that they could also win a spot on the basketball roster or who came to NPU specifically to make the team without getting any prompting or encouragement from the coaching staff. But Tom Slyder and Cordell Henry also recruited a full boat of newbies, and there's a lot of talent there among those newbies. And here's where it becomes difficult for Tom: There's several guys who've played for the Vikings for the past couple of years who -- let's be frank -- really aren't up to snuff in terms of being CCIW-caliber players. But they were on the roster, and often got playing time, because coaching-staff turnover and other factors were holding down the number of competent recruits that the Park was bringing in, leaving roster spaces (and rotation spaces) that had to be filled by whomever was on hand. But now that the current coaching staff has had a full year to recruit and has brought in a large class, the Rus Bradburd / Jerry Noreen scenario is taking place again at North Park. Tom's hope is that the returnees who don't have a future as Vikings will all see the handwriting on the wall and will stop by his office this fall to tell him that they won't be trying out, in order to spare themselves (and him) the discomfort of having the "I'm sorry, but you didn't make this year's team" conversation in his office after October 15. Several of them have already stopped by his office to inform him that they're bowing out. He's hoping that more of them will come to that realization and will follow the lead of their peers. Some of the unrecruited freshmen as well have informed either Tom or Cordell that they won't be trying out, after having gotten a taste in open gym of just how good the recruited players are.

I've never been a coach, but cutting players has to be one of the hardest, if not the hardest, things that a coach has to do.

Greg,

Are you able to provide a little more detail about some of the new players that should make an impact?
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Gregory Sager

"Impact" is kind of a loaded word. I think I'll keep my powder dry until I've seen enough open gyms to be able to get a read on which NPU newbies (if any) qualify for impact status by CCIW standards.