WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NACfan215

Did anyone catch the Calvin/Lakeland game live saturday?  Any thoughts or comments regarding both teams and the game in general? Thanks

Roundball999

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on November 17, 2014, 02:22:59 PM
I thought Llorens looked really good as well considering her recovery.  No brace or extra support at all on her knee makes me think she has confidence in it - which is often the most difficult part of the recovery - getting back the confidence.  Gaddy will surely be missed, but the beauty of Llorens and McAfee on the floor together is really a pleasure to watch.

Agreed, it was great to see Llorens and McAfee together again.  I also have to mention Hannah Doell's smothering defense and all around game, what a luxury to have an athletic 6'1" player that can stuff the stat line and cover just about anyone.  And what can you say about Britanny Berry?  More pinpoint no-look passes and "only" 4-5 from three point range to start the season.  She's just a joy to watch.

Roundball999

Quote from: NACfan215 on November 17, 2014, 03:18:30 PM
Did anyone catch the Calvin/Lakeland game live saturday?  Any thoughts or comments regarding both teams and the game in general? Thanks

I wasn't there but watched a good bit of it streaming.  Tight first half, but Lakeland shot over 50% and Calvin about 25% including 0-11 from 3 pt range with Calvin standout Kayla Engelhard having a tough shooting game.  Calvin shot better and Lakeland worse in the 2nd half but the real difference in the game was turnovers, Lakeland had 30 to Calvin's 14.  Looked like a typical early season game, both teams probably a little rough around the edges but I think Calvin is definitely the better team.

pointlem

Quote from: Roundball999 on November 17, 2014, 03:39:35 PM
And what can you say about Britanny Berry?  . . . . She's just a joy to watch.
I'll say . . . thinking of her misdirection passing, her amazing shooting, and her expressive joy in the midst of play . . . she is something special. 

wwjjdd

Quote from: pointlem on November 17, 2014, 10:51:22 PM
Quote from: Roundball999 on November 17, 2014, 03:39:35 PM
And what can you say about Britanny Berry?  . . . . She's just a joy to watch.
I'll say . . . her misdirection passing, her amazing shooting, and her expressive joy the midst of play . . . she is something special.

AMEN!!!!!
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber, Founder, Faber College, 1904

Roundball999

Hope over Defiance 77-43 to win its own tipoff tournament.  Rebekah Llorens led the Dutch with 17 in 16 minutes and appears to be fully recovered from her ACL.  For the third straight game everyone played significant minutes and Hope won by 30 or more.  Britanny Berry hit another three 3 pts and is hitting the three ball at 63% for the season to date. 

Huge game vs. Wheaton on Tuesday.  Wheaton is very good and features preseason All American Ellie Zeller.  On paper looks to be Hope's toughest game of the regular season with possible exception of Calvin.

Roundball999

OT: Hope women win the volleyball national championship with a 15-8 fifth game win over Emory in a match that was tight the whole way.  Big assist in my mind goes to Calvin; the four earlier match battles between the Knights and the Dutch had to be the best preparation the Dutch could have possibly received.

bballfan13

Quote from: Roundball999 on November 24, 2014, 03:32:36 PM
OT: Hope women win the volleyball national championship with a 15-8 fifth game win over Emory in a match that was tight the whole way.  Big assist in my mind goes to Calvin; the four earlier match battles between the Knights and the Dutch had to be the best preparation the Dutch could have possibly received.

It really has been great to see what these two programs have been able to do the last 5 years.  Truly incredible to have this much talent right in our backyard playing each other.

Roundball999

Wheaton up 34-33 over Hope at the half.  Hope jumped out to an early 11-2 lead but Wheaton battled back, aided by 2 quick fouls on Maura McAfee which caused the Hope star to sit the last 12 minutes of the half.  Britanny Berry hit 3-4 from beyond the arc but went down hard near the end of the half, hitting her head on the floor.  She walked off after a few moments, anxiously waiting to hear her status.  Hannah Doell really stepped up, hitting two threes and 10 points during the first half.

Roundball999

Quote from: Roundball999 on November 25, 2014, 08:19:52 PM
Wheaton up 34-33 over Hope at the half.  Hope jumped out to an early 11-2 lead but Wheaton battled back, aided by 2 quick fouls on Maura McAfee which caused the Hope star to sit the last 12 minutes of the half.  Brittany Berry hit 3-4 from beyond the arc but went down hard near the end of the half, hitting her head on the floor.  She walked off after a few moments, anxiously waiting to hear her status.  Hannah Doell really stepped up, hitting two threes and 10 points during the first half.

Wheaton completes the big win over Hope, 82-75.  2nd half was back and forth the whole way, stats were pretty even but the difference was 52% shooting by Wheaton vs 33% by Hope.  Brittany Berry did not play in the 2nd half, though she was sitting on the bench.  With Berry sitting, Gaddy out for the year, Lareau not back from an ankle sprain and Perkins not yet ready after a long soccer season, depth seemed to be a problem this game.  Starters were all in double figures but Hope's depleted bench had a tough shooting night against a very good Wheaton team while Wheaton hit 65% in the 2nd half.

Roundball999

Fairly routine win for Hope over Adrian 77-59.  The Dutch jumped out to a 16-0 lead after 7 minutes and coasted the rest of the way.  Starters played limited minutes and everyone played, everyone scored.  The starters look VERY strong.  McAfee had another double double in limited minutes, Doell is totally disruptive on defense and Berry had several of her classic misdirection passes highlighted by a play to end the first half where she drew away the entire defense with a fake pass leaving her with a layup.  The extended playing time for the reserves should help, turnovers and rebounding need some work for that group.  Klauka had a nice game.  Lareau and Perkins are still out with injuries though Lareau will apparently return soon; starter Gaddy had her ACL surgery and is out for the season. 

jspiii

Does anyone know who the Hope player was, that had a knee brace on, was suited up but didn't play. Looked about 5'8" and was practicing 3 pointers during warmups.

Roundball999

Quote from: jspiii on December 04, 2014, 03:36:40 PM
Does anyone know who the Hope player was, that had a knee brace on, was suited up but didn't play. Looked about 5'8" and was practicing 3 pointers during warmups.

If red hair, that would have been Melissa LaReau.  She was contending for starting pg once Gaddy went down with an ACL.  LaReau has been out since beginning of season with a high ankle sprain, not quite ready to play but did warm up last night.

bballfan13

Roundball, do you think LaReau will start once she comes back and is full strength?  Obviously things change for starters once Gaddy went down for the year, but I still wouldn't think that LaReau would start, more of just a backup.

jspiii

Quote from: Roundball999 on December 04, 2014, 04:13:05 PM
Quote from: jspiii on December 04, 2014, 03:36:40 PM

If red hair, that would have been Melissa LaReau.  She was contending for starting pg once Gaddy went down with an ACL.  LaReau has been out since beginning of season with a high ankle sprain, not quite ready to play but did warm up last night.

It wasn't LaReau, it was someone I can't find on the varsity roster or the JV roster. This person had been in street clothes the last few weeks on the court with LaReau, Gaddy & Perkins.