FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldAuggie

Quote from: MiacMan on June 05, 2018, 11:47:38 AM
Quote from: DuffMan on June 05, 2018, 11:18:32 AM
Quote from: MiacMan on June 05, 2018, 08:53:38 AM
IMO, arguably, the best player to ever wear MIAC jersey.

Umm, hello.  Does the name Ryan Hoag mean nothing to you?

Ah, yes, Mr. Insignificant, he would have been rock star if the rules were that you can only run in straight lines. An interesting debate none the less. At the moment I can think of only 2 other names that I would mention in the same breath as Blake Elliot. One would be Scott Hvistendal from Augsburg the other would be Neal Guggemos from St. Thomas. It would be interesting to hear others.
I played in the era of Guggemos and also a guy from Gustavus who was drafted in the 6th round by Dallas; Kurt Ploeger. He had legit size and length for an NFL D lineman. That year 1984, the MIAC produced 2 NFL players. I think Ploeger needs to be on that list.
MIAC champions 1928, 1997

DuffMan

Quote from: MiacMan on June 05, 2018, 01:08:18 PM
Did you SJ2 faithful see that Brandon Novak is a finalist for the Stevens Point Head Coaching job? I think that would be pretty cool. I know he likes to compete.

Ugh!  That would be a bad thing for SJU.  :o
Brandon's a great guy, great coach, and great recruiting tool.  While a head coaching gig would be great for him, he'd be sorely missed at SJU.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

OldAuggie

MIAC Man the answer to the the greatest MIAC player of all time is .........Gary Larsen, Minnesota Vikings. He played at Concordia and was one of the Purple People Eaters   ;D
MIAC champions 1928, 1997

MiacMan

Quote from: MUC57 on June 05, 2018, 01:34:54 PM

MiacMan

Sorry to but in. Of course you were only talking about the MIAC. A  thousand pardons!
But, as you know - I'm old. I get mixed up and I forget things.
Go MIAC. Go OAC. You know what's coming. Go every conference! ☠🏈

None the less, those were some great players mentioned in your post, certainly HOF deserving.

MiacMan

Quote from: OldAuggie on June 05, 2018, 02:25:16 PM
MIAC Man the answer to the the greatest MIAC player of all time is .........Gary Larsen, Minnesota Vikings. He played at Concordia and was one of the Purple People Eaters   ;D

I totally forgot about that, Gary Larsen, great infusion to this topic. I wonder if there are any of his MIAC stats available. I am guessing he tore it up.

MiacMan

Quote from: MiacMan on June 05, 2018, 02:44:03 PM

I totally forgot about that, Gary Larsen, great infusion to this topic. I wonder if there are any of his MIAC stats available. I am guessing he tore it up.

How bout this guy? John "Blood" McNally, a charter member of the National Football League (NFL) Hall of Fame, attended Saint John's from 1920-23. McNally played in the NFL for 14 seasons and won four championships with the Green Bay Packers from 1929-36

retagent

The Poll on the top of the page may need a tweak. Though I voted for him, Lucas Davenport was a police detective, not a Private Investigator.

sjusection105

Quote from: MiacMan on June 05, 2018, 01:08:18 PM
Did you SJ2 faithful see that Brandon Novak is a finalist for the Stevens Point Head Coaching job? I think that would be pretty cool. I know he likes to compete.
Two of the four finalists have head coaching experience as well as having ties to Stevens Point football. For whatever that's worth.
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

MiacMan

While not necessarily the greatest MIAC player because he only played for one year, but maybe the greatest "raw" talent that every played in the MIAC, played for Macalester of all schools. His name, Elmer Bailey from Mechanic Arts HS in St. Paul. Played at Mac 1yr., then transferred to the Gophers and was a star there before starring for a good number of years for the Miami Dolphins.

57Johnnie

Quote from: MiacMan on June 05, 2018, 02:57:30 PM
Quote from: MiacMan on June 05, 2018, 02:44:03 PM

How bout this guy? John "Blood" McNally, a charter member of the National Football League (NFL) Hall of Fame, attended Saint John's from 1920-23. McNally played in the NFL for 14 seasons and won four championships with the Green Bay Packers from 1929-36
You beat me to it MIAC.
John McNally played for the Johnnies at the same time as he played for the Packers as Johnny Blood.

CASE CLOSED  :)
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

OzJohnnie

http://www.startribune.com/ice-cream-maker-brewery-team-up-to-create-fudgie-the-beer/484561581/

A brewing company in New York has joined with an ice cream maker so consumers can have their cake in a beer...

The stout beer is brewed with the ice cream cake maker's signature chocolate and fudge and is 6 percent alcohol by volume.

Yeah, no.  I prefer my eating and drinking experience to be full of timbre and variety.  This fad of mashing things together to get it all at once (anything on a stick) really stinks, in my humble opinion.  Creating fudge cake flavored stout beer is a stupid idea.

There.  I said it.  Sue me.
[  

57Johnnie

The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

MUC57

57Johnnie

What you said. How ya doin' fellow 57 alum? I'm sure you realize this is our 61st anniversary of graduation. OK, different schools but still. Nice to hear from you again. ☠🏈🍻
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

BDB

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on May 09, 2018, 09:53:41 AM
Who will win Lord Stanley's Cup? In the past on here I have made my dead on predictions. This year the race is too close to call so I haven't. But here goes: I do believe the champions will once again come from the East, either the Lightning or Capitals.

retagent, I think the difference in game 7 of this series is how well Holtby is playing. I'm picking the Caps in a game 7 overtime win.

Whilst I had the Caps going overtime in 7 with Tampa Bay, my Stanley Cup Champion predictions on here continue to be flawless.  ::)

retagent

In the words of Alex Ovechkin at the start of the season, "We're not going to be suck this year."

Great playoffs. I hope you saw how some affection was given to St Cloud's own Nate Schmidt by his former team mates in the handshake line. ;D ;D ;D ;D 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)