Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonmann

QuoteNew MAC blurb:

MAC -- Though Widener (7-0, 8-0) had its game with FDU-Florham (2-5, 2-6) cancelled and Delaware Valley (6-1, 6-2) may not play its game Saturday against Wilkes (3-4, 4-4), the conference office will apparently honor the three-way tie scenario with Lycoming (6-1, 6-2) even though the teams won't have the same number of MAC games. That means Widener needs to beat Delaware Valley in Week 11 to clinch, and Del Val needs to win by 16 or more to get the AQ. Otherwise, it belongs to Lycoming, assuming the Warriors beat Stevenson (1-6, 1-7) and Misericordia (0-7, 0-8).

Del Val regained power in the stadium so the game is on.  We'll see how the Aggies do with very little practice. A lot of their kids had their minds elsewhere this week since they are from storm ravaged communities. If Del Val loses today, the AQ goes to Widener.  If Del Val wins, see above. :)

gordonmann

Del Val wins 23-7. The Aggies score 21 in the first quarter and the defense holds another opponent out of the end zone.  Wilkes' TD came on an interception return.  Del Val's first team defense has given up one touchdown since Week 2 and it came after the Aggies fumbled the ball at their own 14 against Leb Val.

Should be a fun showdown with Widener.

K-Mack

Quote from: gordonmann on November 03, 2012, 04:11:47 PM
Del Val wins 23-7. The Aggies score 21 in the first quarter and the defense holds another opponent out of the end zone.  Wilkes' TD came on an interception return.  Del Val's first team defense has given up one touchdown since Week 2 and it came after the Aggies fumbled the ball at their own 14 against Leb Val.

Should be a fun showdown with Widener.

Yes it should.

Thanks for the updates Gordo. Don't forget not to vote on Tuesday!
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

middlerelief

Week 9 proved to be a tough one for the T25:

# 7 N. Central, #10 Wabash, #12 Bethel, #13 Hopkins, #25 SJF all go down with a loss.  Would like to see Hobart climb up they've been mashing teams all season long and are undefeated.

Question: I noticed a handful of games being cancelled in the NJAC, if those games are not rescheduled, how or does that impact a team's ability for an At-Large?  Thinking specifically Rowan.  Anyone got an idea on that?

HScoach

Quote from: middlerelief on November 04, 2012, 09:01:12 AM

# 7 N. Central, #10 Wabash, #12 Bethel, #13 Hopkins, #25 SJF all go down with a loss.  Would like to see Hobart climb up they've been mashing teams all season long and are undefeated.

Question: I noticed a handful of games being cancelled in the NJAC, if those games are not rescheduled, how or does that impact a team's ability for an At-Large?  Thinking specifically Rowan.  Anyone got an idea on that?

Though not upsets like the 4 games you mentioned, #23 Baldwin Wallace and #17 Concordia-Moorhead also went down.  Going to be some serious shuffling in the new Top 25 this week.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

K-Mack

Quote from: HScoach on November 04, 2012, 09:11:08 AM

Though not upsets like the 4 games you mentioned, #23 Baldwin Wallace and #17 Concordia-Moorhead also went down.  Going to be some serious shuffling in the new Top 25 this week.

It's already out: http://www.d3football.com/top25/2012/week10

BIG movement in the teens, and there sorta had to be.

A shame it shook out that Wheaton is still a spot behind North Central. I think that hurts our credibility a bit after what was a pretty thorough domination yesterday.

PLU moves in, albeit way lower than I have them (around 10, with losses to top-6 Linfield and CLU, by one score and two respectively, plus wins over 7-win Willamette, 6-win Whitworth and 5-win Redlands).

Personally I don't like Wabash hannging in at 25 instead of Witt, but they did beat them.

This is the point in the season where you can't justify every vote with an easy, traceable line of reasoning.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: K-Mack on November 04, 2012, 03:33:11 PM
Quote from: HScoach on November 04, 2012, 09:11:08 AM

It's already out: http://www.d3football.com/top25/2012/week10

BIG movement in the teens, and there sorta had to be.

A shame it shook out that Wheaton is still a spot behind North Central. I think that hurts our credibility a bit after what was a pretty thorough domination yesterday.

PLU moves in, albeit way lower than I have them (around 10, with losses to top-6 Linfield and CLU, by one score and two respectively, plus wins over 7-win Willamette, 6-win Whitworth and 5-win Redlands).

Personally I don't like Wabash hannging in at 25 instead of Witt, but they did beat them.

This is the point in the season where you can't justify every vote with an easy, traceable line of reasoning.

Right, because what do you do with Elmhurst, who beat Wheaton and got crushed by North Central? There's a pretty thorough domination there, too.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

USee

Wheaton lost to Elmhurst onthe road by one play, NCC beat Elmhurst at home by 34.  Wheaton totally dominated NCC on the road.  Wheaton is the only team here with a road win vs the others.  That's a big differentiator in my mind.

NCF

Quote from: USee on November 05, 2012, 12:37:33 AM
Wheaton lost to Elmhurst onthe road by one play, NCC beat Elmhurst at home by 34.  Wheaton totally dominated NCC on the road.  Wheaton is the only team here with a road win vs the others.  That's a big differentiator in my mind.
No offense, but you still lost to Elmhurst, a team NC dominated. NC also decimated IWU, a team you beat by 5.A loss is a loss, and NC and Wheaton both have two. If Elmhurst and NC win, Wheaton might not make it.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

USee

Quote from: newcardfan on November 05, 2012, 06:24:35 AM
No offense, but you still lost to Elmhurst, a team NC dominated. NC also decimated IWU, a team you beat by 5.A loss is a loss, and NC and Wheaton both have two. If Elmhurst and NC win, Wheaton might not make it.

Forest......meet trees.

You have a knack for restating the obvious. So NCC should be ranked ahead of Wheaton in Pool C because they dominated IWU with no QB and Elmhurst at home? Good logic.

I am not trying to make a case for any team, the issue we are trying to address is how to differentiate between similar results. The biggest difference in the quagmire that is the CCIW is the home vs road results. Wheaton did not get blown out in their losses and they were both on the road. Elmhurst has a blow out loss on the road, NCC has a blowout loss at home. Elmhurst has 1 loss and NCC/Wheaton have 2. It seems pretty clear to me to rank these teams 1-Elmhurst, 2-Wheaton, 3-NCC for the RR. When you factor in the other teams for Pool C you have to realize that one of those CCIW teams won't be compared (because they will win the AQ) to other pool C teams. Wheaton has a better chance than NCC for pool C as a 2 loss team because if NCC loses to Augie and Elmhurst wins the AQ, NCC's chances of being picked ahead of Wheaton are zero due to the HTH result. This isn't a chest thumping exercise its based on the facts.

Now if you want to have your head spin, try and figure out the NCAC tie breaker. 

NCF

Quote from: USee on November 05, 2012, 08:48:04 AM

Forest......meet trees.

You have a knack for restating the obvious. So NCC should be ranked ahead of Wheaton in Pool C because they dominated IWU with no QB and Elmhurst at home? Good logic.

I am not trying to make a case for any team, the issue we are trying to address is how to differentiate between similar results. The biggest difference in the quagmire that is the CCIW is the home vs road results. Wheaton did not get blown out in their losses and they were both on the road. Elmhurst has a blow out loss on the road, NCC has a blowout loss at home. Elmhurst has 1 loss and NCC/Wheaton have 2. It seems pretty clear to me to rank these teams 1-Elmhurst, 2-Wheaton, 3-NCC for the RR. When you factor in the other teams for Pool C you have to realize that one of those CCIW teams won't be compared (because they will win the AQ) to other pool C teams. Wheaton has a better chance than NCC for pool C as a 2 loss team because if NCC loses to Augie and Elmhurst wins the AQ, NCC's chances of being picked ahead of Wheaton are zero due to the HTH result. This isn't a chest thumping exercise its based on the facts.

Now if you want to have your head spin, try and figure out the NCAC tie breaker.
If NC loses to Augie they are a three loss team and packing it in for the season.
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11

wally_wabash

No offense, but you still lost to Elmhurst, a team NC dominated. NC also decimated IWU, a team you beat by 5.  A loss is a loss, and NC and Wheaton both have two. If Elmhurst and NC win, Wheaton might not make it.

You're too aware of the CCIW landscape to put this out there.  The Elmhurst stuff, fine.  But don't compare the Wheaton and NCC results against IWU.  They didn't play the same team. 

It should all matter not in the end.  I wouldn't trust IWU to beat a dirty rug at the moment, so NCC should qualify automatically.  Elmhurst will be an easy Pool C selection.  Wheaton...well, we'll have to see where Wheaton lands in the regional rankings.  If Wheaton gets to the table, I think they've got a good shot to get in. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

NCF

Quote from: wally_wabash on November 05, 2012, 10:36:35 AM
No offense, but you still lost to Elmhurst, a team NC dominated. NC also decimated IWU, a team you beat by 5.  A loss is a loss, and NC and Wheaton both have two. If Elmhurst and NC win, Wheaton might not make it.

You're too aware of the CCIW landscape to put this out there.  The Elmhurst stuff, fine.  But don't compare the Wheaton and NCC results against IWU.  They didn't play the same team. 

It should all matter not in the end.  I wouldn't trust IWU to beat a dirty rug at the moment, so NCC should qualify automatically.  Elmhurst will be an easy Pool C selection.  Wheaton...well, we'll have to see where Wheaton lands in the regional rankings.  If Wheaton gets to the table, I think they've got a good shot to get in.
I don't think IWU's defense was decimated, and they should have kept NC under the 52 points. However, all NC and Elmhurst have to do is win to get in. Wheaton may get in or may not, depending on what crazy things happen this Saturday.

TitanPride

Quote from: newcardfan on November 05, 2012, 10:45:29 AM

I don't think IWU's defense was decimated, and they should have kept NC under the 52 points. However, all NC and Elmhurst have to do is win to get in. Wheaton may get in or may not, depending on what crazy things happen this Saturday.

Actually, that's not true, depending on your definition of decimation.  IWU was without their starting middle linebacker, Connor Klein, who was injured against Wheaton.  Linebacker Kyle Pfister was injured on the second play of the NCC game and didn't return.  Additionally, DT Bert Blodgett and LB JJ Marien suffered ankle injuries during the game and sat out.  NCC saw a different defense than was out there against Wheaton.  Not making any excuses on behalf of IWU;  NCC clobbered them, but these might be relevant facts for your discussion.   

NCF

Quote from: TitanPride on November 05, 2012, 11:16:12 AM
Quote from: newcardfan on November 05, 2012, 10:45:29 AM

Actually, that's not true, depending on your definition of decimation.  IWU was without their starting middle linebacker, Connor Klein, who was injured against Wheaton.  Linebacker Kyle Pfister was injured on the second play of the NCC game and didn't return.  Additionally, DT Bert Blodgett and LB JJ Marien suffered ankle injuries during the game and sat out.  NCC saw a different defense than was out there against Wheaton.  Not making any excuses on behalf of IWU;  NCC clobbered them, but these might be relevant facts for your discussion.   
Four starters out is pretty bad. How many of them will be back this week?