MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Dutch Fan

Khy Winston - 6-3 G - UD Jesuit - Albion.  Khy is the youngest of the 3 Winston brothers - Cassius @ MSU, Zachary @ Albion. 
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

KnightSlappy

Calvin has named Mark Christner as head coach of the Women's basketball team. Christner was a player (and then) assistant at Calvin before moving to Waynesburg (PA) to serve as the head coach of their Men's program. He was a women's assistant at Calvin before he moved to the men's side.

http://calvinknights.com/sports/wbkb/2018-19/releases/20190424d3ivqh

Hopefully the College/University can now turn major attention to the men's opening.

Goknights2017

Quote from: KnightSlappy on April 24, 2019, 11:21:18 AM
Calvin has named Mark Christner as head coach of the Women's basketball team. Christner was a player (and then) assistant at Calvin before moving to Waynesburg (PA) to serve as the head coach of their Men's program. He was a women's assistant at Calvin before he moved to the men's side.

Hopefully the College/University can now turn major attention to the men's opening.

Interesting news. I imagine he was a candidate for the men's job as well.

SBell

Quote from: SBell on April 15, 2019, 07:08:53 PM
Haven't seen it on social media yet, but an interesting commitment should be known soon ... one of the two MIAA schools without a coach will get one of the most widely recruited MIAA/WHAC recruits in Michigan, breaking the heart of another MIAA school.

https://twitter.com/PlainwellB/status/1121089974856761344

Gregory Sager

Quote from: SBell on April 24, 2019, 12:42:01 PM
Haven't seen it on social media yet, but an interesting commitment should be known soon ... one of the two MIAA schools without a coach will get one of the most widely recruited MIAA/WHAC recruits in Michigan, breaking the heart of another MIAA school.

https://twitter.com/PlainwellB/status/1121089974856761344

Looks like Matt beat you to that announcement last week:

Quote from: KnightSlappy on April 20, 2019, 12:53:22 PM
Quote from: sac on April 15, 2019, 08:09:47 PM

Pure guess on my part
https://bankhoops.com/college-coaches-like-ike-plainwell-senior-guard-trending/

I've got 3 others if I miss the mark here. ;)

Not sure if this was exactly who SBell was referring to (he was my first guess as well) but...

6-2 G Isaac Davis (Plainwell) will attend Calvin.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

KnightSlappy

Isaac had posted the news on his own Twitter account.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: Goknights2017 on April 24, 2019, 12:11:18 PM

I had the same thought.  Could this mean that the process for selecting a new men's head coach is nearing completion?
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

KnightSlappy

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on April 24, 2019, 01:11:33 PM
Quote from: Goknights2017 on April 24, 2019, 12:11:18 PM

I had the same thought.  Could this mean that the process for selecting a new men's head coach is nearing completion?

I know nothing, but I don't guess this indicates anything about the Men's position, which is still posted. The posting for the Women's position has been down for some time.

wiz

Mark is a safe pick.

almcguirejr

Quote from: almcguirejr on March 01, 2019, 03:05:14 PM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on March 01, 2019, 11:01:14 AM
Quote from: sac on March 01, 2019, 12:17:52 AM
Actually heard John Ross for the women's program a few weeks ago.  Sam Hargraves is the obvious Calvin grad in the room, I think there are one or two others at the D2 or high school level that would be interested.  Maybe even AD Jim Timmer.

Hargraves (Alma), Christner (Waynesburg), and Sall (Northern Michigan) are the obvious Calvin grads that stick out to me in the D3/D2 coaching ranks.
Other D3 coaches with (West) Michigan roots or Christian-faith ties could likely apply as well.
I don't know the High School scene at all.

Before the men's job opened, I wondered if Christner would be interested in the women's job.  He started out on the women's side at Calvin.

I should be on the advisory committee at Calvin. :)

Goknights2017

Quote from: wiz on April 24, 2019, 02:52:44 PM

Mark is a safe pick.

Definitely a safe pick. After the previous coach was only around for a couple of years, they were definitely looking for a coach who would do a good job, but would also be around for a while.

wiz

Quote from: almcguirejr on April 24, 2019, 02:57:57 PM
Quote from: almcguirejr on March 01, 2019, 03:05:14 PM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on March 01, 2019, 11:01:14 AM
Quote from: sac on March 01, 2019, 12:17:52 AM
Actually heard John Ross for the women's program a few weeks ago.  Sam Hargraves is the obvious Calvin grad in the room, I think there are one or two others at the D2 or high school level that would be interested.  Maybe even AD Jim Timmer.

Hargraves (Alma), Christner (Waynesburg), and Sall (Northern Michigan) are the obvious Calvin grads that stick out to me in the D3/D2 coaching ranks.
Other D3 coaches with (West) Michigan roots or Christian-faith ties could likely apply as well.
I don't know the High School scene at all.

Before the men's job opened, I wondered if Christner would be interested in the women's job.  He started out on the women's side at Calvin.

I should be on the advisory committee at Calvin. :)
Advisory committee?  Heck, they ought to just let you make the selection.  I certainly would approve.

Jameswys

Well,  since it's been ignored between recruits and coaching changes, I'll comment and say it's totally badass that the D2 and D3 champs will be played in Atlanta next year. Having all three tournaments in the same facility and on the same court will be a great experience for the D2 and D3 athletes. This is an exciting change.   
Olivet '05

ziggy

Quote from: Jameswys on April 24, 2019, 05:00:02 PM
Well,  since it's been ignored between recruits and coaching changes, I'll comment and say it's totally badass that the D2 and D3 champs will be played in Atlanta next year. Having all three tournaments in the same facility and on the same court will be a great experience for the D2 and D3 athletes. This is an exciting change.

Same city but adjacent facilities as D1 will be in the football stadium and D2/D3 will be in whatever they call the NBA arena these days.