MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bouncer1

It was a good night for the OAC in the NCAA tourney. Three entries and 3 wins on the first night. Three OAC teams into the round of 32. I don't remember the last time 3 teams from our league got invited into the tourney. Very often it is just the AQ or maybe one at large. So way to represent Cap, BW, and Etta. I do agree with others on this site that have stated they thought Mount should have gotten invited in place of either Cap or Etta. I believe it should have been Mount instead of Etta but what do I know? The committee has their criteria and they usually do a good job. I just hope they sit up and take notice that it is okay to choose more than 2 teams and especially more than one team from the rugged OAC in the future. Best of luck to the Crusaders, Yellow Jackets, and Pios on Saturday.

Onward on, John Carroll

Marietta took a private charter to the Sweet Sixteen.  Wow!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BursQVcB9DI/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=tk7ip0inbatd

Unless, I understand the process incorrectly, there is little chance the NCAA paid for all of that.  Does that mean that Marietta paid the difference between a commercial flight and the charter?  That is a major show of love and commitment by the college and the athletic department.  You could likely fund one full-time assistant coach for a year (also a sign of love and commitment for the few programs that have one) for the cost of chartering 30 people to Illinois and back.

Let me know if I am missing something and good luck Etta!

Pat Coleman

It may be that the NCAA couldn't find commercial service for a party of 25 from Marietta, Ohio, to Rock Island, Illinois.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

augie77

The commercial airport closest to Marietta is Parkersburg, West Virginia (nothing else is even remotely close).  Just for kicks I checked on schedules and received a message that after searching "over 400 airlines" they could find no service between Parkersburg and the Quad Cities (Rock Island). 

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: augie77 on March 07, 2019, 09:05:01 PM
The commercial airport closest to Marietta is Parkersburg, West Virginia (nothing else is even remotely close).  Just for kicks I checked on schedules and received a message that after searching "over 400 airlines" they could find no service between Parkersburg and the Quad Cities (Rock Island).

I would guess that going via O'Hare would be the option, but schedules may have been very awkward.  And it might even be something like Pittsburgh (or Cleveland), then O'Hare (no clue on whether Parkersburg has direct flights to O'Hare).

sac

Parkersburg's Mid-Ohio Valley Regional Airport has 1 commercial flight per day to Beckley, WV.   It would probably be a game of 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon to get them to the Quad Cities on a commercial flight.

Fifth and Putnam

I believe these days Parkersburg only has service to Charlotte. My understanding is the charter flight was direct to Rock Island.

This is a different strategy than what they did to get to Augustana a few years back. They bussed the trip and stopped about halfway to practice at Butler. I know I'd prefer the charter.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Fifth and Putnam on March 08, 2019, 02:38:22 AM
I believe these days Parkersburg only has service to Charlotte. My understanding is the charter flight was direct to Rock Island.

This is a different strategy than what they did to get to Augustana a few years back. They bussed the trip and stopped about halfway to practice at Butler. I know I'd prefer the charter.

Charters would be direct unless they had to refuel (which in this case, they would not). So, yeah the charter was direct. :)

And Augustana chose to bus. They had the opportunity to fly per NCAA rules, but they decided to bus. That is actually a pretty common decision. Dickinson did that heading to the midwest a few years ago when it was proving to be too difficult (and too fractured) to fly the team. Mount Union women's team did that to the final four, I think, as well. I'm pretty sure CNU MBB bussed to Oswego a few years back.

And the reverse happens often as well. MIT, despite being under 500 miles to Baltimore, has flown for both MBB and football in the last year. Other teams decide to fly, despite it being under 500 miles, and picking up the difference in the costs themselves.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 08, 2019, 01:02:45 PM

Just don't tell Whitman.

Tell them what? They know about the charter game pretty well. They also know why the NCAA told them no this time around. The costs were very prohibitive from what I was told. I mean ... no chance in hell.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 08, 2019, 01:04:23 PM

Just don't tell Whitman.

Tell them what? They know about the charter game pretty well. They also know why the NCAA told them no this time around. The costs were very prohibitive from what I was told. I mean ... no chance in hell.

Still not something they'd enjoy knowing, I imagine.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 08, 2019, 01:07:07 PM

Just don't tell Whitman.

Ryan - I am not following. Do you think they don't know? Do you think they aren't aware of the flight situation?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 08, 2019, 01:12:46 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 08, 2019, 01:07:07 PM

Just don't tell Whitman.

Ryan - I am not following. Do you think they don't know? Do you think they aren't aware of the flight situation?

Regardless of the rules and knowing what they are, there is still room for Whitman to be upset if they know they are flying commercial while Marietta is on a charter.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

pointlem

Sympathies to the Marietta team and fans from up north in Michigan. Watching much of Aston Francis vs. Marietta last night--with Marietta being the better team, while Francis had an NBA prospect night--I was reminded of watching Wheaton defeat Whitworth in the NCAA some years back. Whitworth had, it seemed, the better team--it looked like it could have won best-of-seven series--but Wheaton had the best player. Its star Kent Raymond was stroking 3's from way behind the line and ended up with 47 points, enabling a narrow Wheaton win. The next night he regressed to his average, enabling Hope to win.

Credit Marietta for being good enough to withstand all of Aston's fall-away 3-point shots and amazing 62 points, and nevertheless to be on the verge of victory with seconds left. What a heart breaker. But what a great team you've been and what great fan support you've enjoyed.