MBB: American Rivers Conference

Started by sidelines, May 02, 2005, 09:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharmony

Cornell 51  Wartburg 48 - Under 10 to play.  Tierney with 23 already.  This one is gettin good.

sharmony

Cornell 58  Wartburg 56 - Final.  What a game.  Congratulations to Cornell on getting the IIAC AQ, and to Wartburg on a fantastic year. 

We will have to see if the IIAC can get two bids again this year.  There have been some upsets around the country and the bubble is starting to shrink a little bit.  Cheer on the favored!

Charlie Kohawk

Quite the game tonight in Mount Vernon. Tierney was a one-man wrecking crew in the first half. The Rams couldn't seem to hit a free throw in the second half, and the Warts didn't miss. Exciting game with a wild finish. And Chameleon's didn't disappoint.

Congratulations to Cornell and Coach Tierney (he skillfully coached my son's baseball team last summer).
4 IIAC football championships
8 NCAA football playoff appearances
13 straight wins over Cornell in the oldest football rivalry west of the Mississippi

sportsknight

It was definitely a game befitting the conference championship.  If Wartburg had played the entire game like they played in the 2nd half, I think they would have won easily.  But allowing two seperate 9-0 runs by Cornell and letting Tierney get loose was a big difference in the outcome.  I'm not sure either team did enough to win down the stretch (as evidenced by no scoring in the final 2:57), and Cornell having the halftime edge was likely the difference.  Give them credit for weathering the storm and not allowing Wartburg to climb all the way back.

As a Wartburg fan, I'm disappointed with the loss, but more than anything just happy to see Coach Peth and the Knights playing on the final Saturday of February again.  For a program that was in five straight league title games ('01-'05), to go three seasons between appearances is a little tough to take.  Add in the youth of this Wartburg team and I'd be surprised if they don't get to this level, and possibly beyond, a couple times in the next few seasons.
"Graduating from college in four years is like leaving a party at 10:30." - Chuck Klosterman

titan2000

Is this the Cornell that Lawrence walloped in November? 
"You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong." Abraham Lincoln

The Show

Yes, Cornell lost by 14 to Lawrence, their 3rd game of the season.  Augustana beat them by 22 4 games later.  Both of Cornell's losses to BV were very close though (3 & 5).
Sometimes You're the Windshield & Sometimes You're the Bug!

Kohawk Krazy

Looks like the Beavers are staying home and Cornell is heading to St. Thomas to face Wisconsin-Stevens Point.

trey1919

I would have preferred BV not be rewarded after obviously allowing arrogance to seep into their program. Not defending their homecourt against a young Wartburg team exposed a team and a program, that to me has become too full of themselves following the good run that they've enjoyed the past couple years. Best of luck to Cornell.

larry_u

Better Dead then Red

Alfredeneumann

Quote from: The Show on February 27, 2009, 09:20:52 PM
Quote from: Alfredeneumann on February 27, 2009, 10:43:51 AM
Quote from: The Show on February 27, 2009, 12:00:18 AM
Being the optimist that I am, the good news is that unlike football, we'll see two IIAC teams in the post season this year.

Sorry Show, I just don't see the IIAC being more than a 1 bid league. A loss @ home in the conference Semi-finals might really hurt. Also the fact a "new comer" to the conf. race might cause the committee to question the league. I hope the Beaves get in but I'd be very nervous. 

No need to be sorry Alf.  I just think you're nucking futs if you don't think they'll pick a team that's been rated in the top 10 since week 3 (I know, ratings don't mean everything, blah, blah, blah...) and returns 4 (pretty much 5) starters from a team that went to the semi's a year ago and took the national champion to OT.  If I was a D3 coach, BV would be one of the last team's I'd want to play in the tourny.

I guess I wasn't so futs after all.
Outside of wrestling the conference has more doubters nationally in all sports. Too often the benefit of the doubt goes AGAINST the IIAC.

Good Luck Rams.
Aaron Kampman on Coach Ed Thomas
I believe his greatest legacy comes not in how many football games he won or lost but in the fact that he was a committed follower of Jesus Christ.

PurpleReign

I really wanted, and expected to see BV in the tourny this year.  They are a very good sr. dominated team and was my pick to take it all this year.

Quote from: Alfredeneumann on March 02, 2009, 09:51:08 PM
Quote from: The Show on February 27, 2009, 09:20:52 PM
Quote from: Alfredeneumann on February 27, 2009, 10:43:51 AM
Quote from: The Show on February 27, 2009, 12:00:18 AM
Being the optimist that I am, the good news is that unlike football, we'll see two IIAC teams in the post season this year.

Sorry Show, I just don't see the IIAC being more than a 1 bid league. A loss @ home in the conference Semi-finals might really hurt. Also the fact a "new comer" to the conf. race might cause the committee to question the league. I hope the Beaves get in but I'd be very nervous. 

No need to be sorry Alf.  I just think you're nucking futs if you don't think they'll pick a team that's been rated in the top 10 since week 3 (I know, ratings don't mean everything, blah, blah, blah...) and returns 4 (pretty much 5) starters from a team that went to the semi's a year ago and took the national champion to OT.  If I was a D3 coach, BV would be one of the last team's I'd want to play in the tourny.

I guess I wasn't so futs after all.
Outside of wrestling the conference has more doubters nationally in all sports. Too often the benefit of the doubt goes AGAINST the IIAC.

Good Luck Rams.

Kohawk Krazy

The front page of d3hoops.com explains it pretty well.  No games against Regionally Ranked teams.  That's not going to help you get in the NCAA's when you lose in your conference semis.

The Show

Your crystal ball was better than mine Alf.  I thought after Loras and BV made a nice run last year, they might have made some people think the IIAC can play a little basketball.  I have a funny feeling the majority of the selection committee couldn't find Iowa on a map!  ;)  But that's why you have to take care of business and not leave it up to anyone else.

As for trey1919, I suppose a 1-18 record against the Beavers for the past 8 years would build up a little hostility.  Following a team that finishes dead last in scoring offense nearly every year will do that to you...

Good luck Rams!
Sometimes You're the Windshield & Sometimes You're the Bug!

trey1919

Your crystal ball was better than mine Alf.  I thought after Loras and BV made a nice run last year, they might have made some people think the IIAC can play a little basketball.  I have a funny feeling the majority of the selection committee couldn't find Iowa on a map!     But that's why you have to take care of business and not leave it up to anyone else.

As for trey1919, I suppose a 1-18 record against the Beavers for the past 8 years would build up a little hostility.  Following a team that finishes dead last in scoring offense nearly every year will do that to you...

Show,
You sensed hostility in my post? I felt it was just an honest assessment of what I thought did BV in this year which led to them being no different then eight other teams in the conference this week.......sitting at home, despite having a gaudy record this year. Maybe if anything I should have waited for the sting of the snub to wear off before I posted my opinion. I do feel the statistical smackdown you threw my way was unnecessary and indicates I may have hurt your feelings. If thats the case I'm sorry for not giving you more time to let the hurt subside a little.
Your post also helped to reiterate my point. Are you a former player at BV? Because last years success seemed to be where both you and the current team were content at hanging your hats. A good one year run through the tournament will never be good enough to collectively put any conference "on the map" as you hoped.

SLP-O-8

I can tell you that nobody at Bv was content with just the run they had last year.  They fully expected a great season out of the seniors and i still believe that they had that.  They slipped up twice and had a non BV like games against Wartburg, not to take anything way from the knights becuase in the 2 games i watched of them i would have expected way more than their record.   Bv had a schedule that didnt seem as bad during the beginning of the season as it end up.  Cal lutheran is normally a solid team but didnt have that great of a year.  As hoopsville stated the thing that hurt BV the most is the downfall of Loras.  If loras would have put of the year as expected Bv would be in the playoff because Loras would have been regionally ranked and been 2 good games on the schedule.  The way it played out Bv didnt make the playoffs and thats the end of it.  The seniors had great careers and are great individuals.  It hurts for them to go out like this but take care of business and you are rewarded.

I would like to extend a good luck to Cornell.  They are a very good team.  I had the pleasure of talking to Mr. LaDew at the BV game in SL.  He was a very complementary man and has a great son for a ball player.  Best of luck to the Rams in the tournament. 
You have ONE advantage over me.....you can kiss my a$$ and I can't!!