BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Well, it hit us tonight.

At about 5:30pm it was 76 in Tyler and 36 at DFW Airport.

It rolled in here about 6pm and dropped 28 degrees in the first 45 minutes. It is is 39 at 8pm

Final report... The low this morning was 19 degrees, a 57 degree drop in 12 hours.
Fortunately, no appreciable precipitation .

BigPoppa

Not too bad... ,it was -23* when I woke up Sunday morning... and just like that it will be 35 tomorrow so a 50 degree swing in the right direction here.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Mr. Ypsi

We've gotten some moderation in the last couple of days (highs in the mid 30s), which has begun to melt the 12-14 inches of white stuff.  A good thing if the forecast is right - for the day after Christmas they're predicting 50+ and rain.  Would have produced horrendous flooding if we weren't already rid of at least 2/3 of the stuff before that happens. :P

BigPoppa

A repost from December and I a hoping there is more traffic around it this time as teams are in full-swing gearing up for the season.

Anyone have a prediction for the CCIW standings this year?

*Can NPU bounce back?

*Was NCC's run for real (Ed Mathey seems to have them headed in the right direction... again... just like in the early-to-mid-90s)

*Is Wheaton ever going to turn the corner and make the leap from 4-5-6 to 1-2-3? Seems like they have the talent every year.

*What about Carroll? Where do they land in this year's CCIW race?

*Can Elmhurst and Millikin make a push to get out of the basement?

*Can Carthage regain it's former glory? What's to blame for the recent 5-6 year slide? Is the WIAC killing their recruiting of Wisconsin kids?

*Does IWU have enough to make another run in the near future?

*What's up with Augustana this year? Is it time for them to make themselves more than a flash-in-the-pan on the national scene?

Mr. Ypsi

Big Poppa, since I (like you) live well outside the conference area, before the season starts (and I can get game reports and read box scores) about the only source of information I have is from posters on here. :(  And this far before spring there just don't seem to be any posters from CCIW-land.

Purple Heys

I think the word you are looking for is hibernation...   ;D

Meanwhile, in Southern California...  8-)
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 27, 2017, 01:54:12 PM
Big Poppa, since I (like you) live well outside the conference area, before the season starts (and I can get game reports and read box scores) about the only source of information I have is from posters on here. :(  And this far before spring there just don't seem to be any posters from CCIW-land.

I guess I am always in baseball mode... others likely are not.

BigPoppa

CCIW Preseason Coaches Poll:
http://www.cciw.org/news/2017/2/8/BB_0208172459.aspx

1. NCC
2. IWU/Augustana (tie)
4. Carthage
5. Wheaton
6. NPU
7. Millikin
8. Elmhurst
9. Carroll (Gonna be hard to remember they are a CCIW team now)

Jim Dixon

Quote from: BigPoppa on January 27, 2017, 03:07:04 PM

I cannot think of a day in the last 2 decades I did not think about baseball before noon.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Jim Dixon on February 10, 2017, 01:09:19 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on January 27, 2017, 03:07:04 PM

I cannot think of a day in the last 2 decades I did not think about baseball before noon.

Agree 100%, Jim!

BigPoppa

CCIW baseball begins this weekend as both NPU and Millikin hit the road for season openers. Any predictions?

Gregory Sager

I don't know what you want me to say, BP. Do you really want me to predict NPU's outcomes practically blind?

My info on NPU's two opponents this coming weekend, Spalding and Hendrix, is pretty sketchy. I've looked at their rosters; I'm aware that Hendrix made mincemeat out of a not-very-good Vikings team over the course of three games last spring; and I've also noted that the Warriors opened their season this weekend with three tough losses in Texas. Beyond that, all that I can say is that, as usual, the Park will be facing southern teams that have been out in the open air practicing more than the Vikings have (although our unusually mild winter here in Chicago has allowed NPU to uncharacteristically get in some time on the diamond as well over the past couple of weeks).

My focus has been on North Park's basketball team over the past couple of months, so I haven't really thought much about the baseball team. I did interview Luke Johnson at halftime of a basketball game a couple of weeks ago, so I have a bit of an idea how things are going to look. He feels strongly that the Vikings will have more punch in the lineup and better defense up the middle than they have had the past couple of seasons, but that, of course, remains to be seen. Pitching-wise, a lot of NPU's fortunes will rest on the left arm of Alex Vannucci. If he can come back at 100% after missing last season to arm trouble, the Vikings could be competitive. They'll certainly throw an interesting problem at opponents by starting three lefties every weekend in Vannucci, Brent Kessinger, and James Pagni, if Vannucci's ready to go.

Sorry that I can't give you more than that, but I just don't have much of a feel for the Vikings yet.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Here you go, BP: On the eve of NPU's season opener, the prospectus for the 2017 Vikings, straight from the horse's mouth:

http://athletics.northpark.edu/news/2017/2/17/2017-npu-baseball-preview.aspx
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

NPU opened the 2017 campaign with three wild-and-wooly contests down in Conway, AR. On Saturday the Vikes lost to Spalding, 16-10, and to host Hendrix, 8-6. On Sunday, the Vikings broke into the W column with a 6-5 victory over Spalding on a walk-off wild pitch (isn't that actually a run-off wild pitch?) in the bottom of the ninth.

I'm not thrilled about the 29 runs and 40 hits that the Vikings gave up over the weekend, although Zach Colangelo did appear to have a nice start on Sunday (6 IP, 6 H, 1 ER). But at least the Vikings can swing the bats and make some things happen on offense.

Two other teams have started play: Millikin also went to Arkansas this weekend, where the Big Blue took two out of three from College of the Ozarks, and Augustana opened its season with a 2-1 win over Brandeis today in the Sunshine State.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 20, 2017, 09:26:30 PM
NPU opened the 2017 campaign with three wild-and-wooly contests down in Conway, AR. On Saturday the Vikes lost to Spalding, 16-10, and to host Hendrix, 8-6. On Sunday, the Vikings broke into the W column with a 6-5 victory over Spalding on a walk-off wild pitch (isn't that actually a run-off wild pitch?) in the bottom of the ninth.

I'm not thrilled about the 29 runs and 40 hits that the Vikings gave up over the weekend, although Zach Colangelo did appear to have a nice start on Sunday (6 IP, 6 H, 1 ER). But at least the Vikings can swing the bats and make some things happen on offense.

Two other teams have started play: Millikin also went to Arkansas this weekend, where the Big Blue took two out of three from College of the Ozarks, and Augustana opened its season with a 2-1 win over Brandeis today in the Sunshine State.

Depends on HOW wild the pitch was.  Usually it is a run-off, but I've seen cases where someone with a walker could score. ;D