MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwu70

Wildcat, your guys are surely making some serious noise this year.  A really good team.  Keep going.  We sure do like your coach!  :)

Greg, thanks for the Massey.  Interesting.  Some really big games upcoming, esp. EC vs. AC.  Would love to see EC get the win.  IWU has a pretty good schedule down the stretch . . . has to make the most of it.  Never easy to beat Wheaton, home or away.

My Mother, an ardent and long-time IWU fan and loyal supporter, a long-time member of the travelling (elderly) Titans on the fan bus, especially supportive of the IWU women's teams, turns 96 today.  Happy Birthday Helen Marie McNicol Sheldon '40.  A true TITAN!  Along with my Dad, she received the IWU Alumni Association Loyalty Award in 2011.  So proud of them both.  Dad already 96, heading for 97.  They've been married 73+ years.  You don't see that every day.  Happy Birthday, Mom!

IWU70

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Wildcat on January 27, 2015, 04:53:50 PM
As an Elmhurst fan. I want to compliment the Wesleyan fans on the support they give there club. I am an old basketball  scout so when I saw the current team 2 years ago. I told the coaches they had the nucleus they needed to turn the program around. So far so good, a huge game tomorrow with  Augie . I really  have enjoyed watching this group grow together.

Just a thought for everyone to keep in mind... too many losses in years past may be okay this year. Usually seven losses is the magic number (even if teams get in with more than seven losses sometimes). The difference is this year everyone is taking losses and I highly suspect teams with far more losses than normal will be in the conversation for at large bids. It's a strange year.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: iwu70 on January 27, 2015, 09:28:19 PM
Wildcat, your guys are surely making some serious noise this year.  A really good team.  Keep going.  We sure do like your coach!  :)

Greg, thanks for the Massey.  Interesting.  Some really big games upcoming, esp. EC vs. AC.  Would love to see EC get the win.  IWU has a pretty good schedule down the stretch . . . has to make the most of it.  Never easy to beat Wheaton, home or away.

My Mother, an ardent and long-time IWU fan and loyal supporter, a long-time member of the travelling (elderly) Titans on the fan bus, especially supportive of the IWU women's teams, turns 96 today.  Happy Birthday Helen Marie McNicol Sheldon '40.  A true TITAN!  Along with my Dad, she received the IWU Alumni Association Loyalty Award in 2011.  So proud of them both.  Dad already 96, heading for 97.  They've been married 73+ years.  You don't see that every day.  Happy Birthday, Mom!

IWU70

Happy Birthday, Mrs. Sheldon!!  My dad (aged 93) died Easter Sunday, 2012, after "only" 70+ years of marriage, but mom is still going strong at 97.

Titan Q

Illinois Wesleyan (13-5, 5-2) vs Wheaton (9-9, 2-5), Wednesday 7:00pm CST...

(conference only stats)

Illinois Wesleyan (13-5, 5-2)
G - Dylan Overstreet, 6-3/180 Sr. (12.0 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 4.7 apg)
G - Jordan Nelson, 6-1/170 Sr. (16.9 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.4 apg)
G - Pat Sodemann, 6-3/195 Sr. (9.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg)
F - Ryan Coyle, 6-6/208 Jr. (7.0 ppg, 4.9 rpg)
C - Trevor Seibring, 6-8/235 So. (6.7 ppg, 3.6 rpg)

C - Mike Marietti, 6-8/245 Jr. (9.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg)
G - Bryce Dolan, 6-0/165 Jr. (6.7 ppg, 2.9 apg)
F - Alec Bausch, 6-6/210 So. (4.4 ppg, 3.1 rpg)
G - Joel Pennington, 6-0/175 Jr. (4.1 ppg)

Wheaton (9-9, 2-5)
G - Caleb DeMoss, 6-0/165 Sr. (5.9 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 3.6 apg)
G - Brayden Teuscher, 6-3/205 Sr. (17.9 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 2.9 apg)
F - Peter Smith, 6-6/190 Sr. (6.4 ppg, 6.6 rpg)
F - Joel Smith, 6-6/235 Jr. (12.9 ppg, 5.0 rpg)
F - Michael Berg, 6-6/210 Jr. (16.5 ppg, 8.5 rpg)

G - Jonathan Berntsen, 6-0/190 Jr. (7.0 ppg)
G - Murad Dillard, 6-4/175 Fr. (4.5 ppg, 2.0 rpg)
G - Ricky Samuelson, 6-3/180 Fr. (2.1 ppg)

Pantagraph - http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/cciw-second-half-awaits-iwu/article_8547785f-4779-5101-9ba0-b20ff0c77d47.html

Live video/stats - http://portal.stretchinternet.com/iwu/

WJBC Radio - http://portal.stretchinternet.com/wjbc/

kiko

Quote from: iwu70 on January 27, 2015, 09:28:19 PM

IWU70

I cannot even wrap my mind around that.  For context - and I say this as someone whose babysitter growing up was more or less Jack Brickhouse, the Cubs' World Series drought is only 69 years long...

iwu70

Thanks, Ypsi and Kiko.  Yes, 73.  My, my Dad born in Rock Island at the end of WWI, 1918.  He's IWU Class of '43.  He took longer to get through IWU during those war years.  My Mom born in Dixon, IL. less than a year later, her elder brothers both childhood friends of Ronald Reagan, playing and swimming with him when all were Life Guards at the Park just north of Dixon on the Rock River.  She's IWU Class of '40.  (Which, of course means that Mssr. IWU'70 is not getting any younger either!). 

Dave, I hope you are right about the number of losses this year in D3.  IWU is going to need to keep winning, surely not take many more losses in conference play to be anywhere near a bid come late February, unless the AQ comes their way.  The rush to the end of the regular season now, only four weeks or so to go.  Gotta bring it all home, play the best possible these next seven-nine games. 

IWU'70 

iwu70

Q, thanks for always posting the full set-up, match-ups and data for all the IWU games each time.  Much appreciated.

'70

sac

Quote from: WUH on January 27, 2015, 03:39:36 PM
As far as the Central Region is concerned, here is a look at the last published 2013-2014 NCAA Regional Rankings and the current projected KnightSlappy regional rankings.

Midwest
1 Washington U. 22-2 22-2
2 Illinois Wesleyan 22-3 22-3
3 Wheaton (Ill.) 17-8 17-8
4 Augustana 19-6 19-6
5 St. Norbert 21-1 22-1
6 Carthage 15-8 16-9
7 Rose-Hulman 20-5 20-5
8 Chicago 14-9 15-9

Central
1 Washington U. 14-2     
2 Augustana 16-2   
3 UW-Whitewater 15-1   
4 UW-Stevens Point 14-4
5 Illinois Wesleyan 13-5   
6 North Central (Ill.) 14-4     
7 St. Norbert 15-1   
8 Elmhurst 15-3

I know that the committee does a national search for at-large bids, and this region is certainly the toughest in the nation, but how deep can we expect them to go in one region?

As deep as the criteria allows them to go, there is no limit to teams from one region.

The CCIW will get 3, I don't think that's even a question unless goofy stuff happens.  The question is will the WIAC get 3 and that answer is probably  no.  After that I think the really interesting part will be host sites.  Last year's committee chair basically said without saying it the 1 and 2 ranked teams in each region will host.  IF that's the case this year a very, very good team from the Central Region is going to start the NCAA tournament on the road.

79jaybird

congratulations IWU70 that is a great milestone.  1/26 my grandparents just celebrated their 67th wedding anniversary.  This June will be 6 for Michelle and me.  I think these life milestones, and what matters most in life, are fantastic!

Big game for Elmhurst tonight.  I think this is a pivotal game if Elmhurst wants to grab the #1 or #2 seed for the tournament.  Defend the home court and remember that bad taste from RI a few games back.  Seal the deal and finish strong. 

VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

iwu70

Jaybird, good luck to EC tonight.  Hope your guys play well, take down the Doggies.  It can be done, esp. @home.

Yes, family milestones very important -- more and more as the years go by.  Congrats to your grandparents on 67.  Also amazing.

Some great games upcoming, then the dance.  Hope CCIW gets three in.

IWU70

GoPerry

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 26, 2015, 08:01:40 PM

F'rinstance, on Wednesday night Wheaton is at Illinois Wesleyan. Wheaton was a thin team to begin with, and the losses of Luis Miller and Riley Teuscher have been more costly than I think most people realize. The Sonic Atmospheric Disturbance is really struggling, their narrow win over Carthage on Saturday notwithstanding. But I wouldn't be all that surprised if they somehow picked themselves up off the mat and came away with an upset win at Shirk on Wednesday.

I agree with this.  Despite some really poor play this year, the Thunder have displayed a penchant for getting up for  the bigger games on their schedule (vs IWU, @ Augie, @EC) tonight being one of those.  Indeed they realistically have little else to play for in the 2nd half but to make some noise around the league against the teams with much more at stake.  I doubt Rose & Co will take tonight's game lightly but could they be prone to worrying more about what's happening in Elmhurst tonight?

I hope Wheaton draws from the conf tourney last year, plays loose but hard, and gives the Titans a tough one.   I'm looking for Schauer to play a lot of zone and expect Wesleyan to take lots of 3s- 25 or more.  If the Titans shoot 40% or better they'll win, but if they have a below avg night from the arc and the Thunder can get solid performances across the lineup, Wheaton might have a chance to steal if one of them can finally hit a big shot down the stretch(missing in the aforementioned close losses). 

I know, lots of ifs.

augie_superfan

I haven't had the time to continue my ranking system the past few years but thought I would quickly run a simulation of the rest of the conference season to see how it may play out.  It simulated the remaining conference games 100,000 times and the following are some stats from the simulation:

NOTE:  Probabilities of winning a future game are not 50-50 but are determined by a Massey-like approach in team strengths.

Chance of Top Seed
Augie - 62.5%
IWU - 21.7%
Elmhurst - 15.5%
NCC - 0.3%

Chance of Conf. Tourney
Augie - 99.4%
IWU - 97.5%
Elmhurst - 96.6%
NCC - 83.1%
Carthage - 16.5%
Millikin - 5.7%
Wheaton - 1.3%
NPU - 0.1%

Avg. Wins of Conf. Champ = 11.7
Avg. Wins of 4th place = 7.5

Chance of Outright Champ = 72.7%
Chance of 2-way tie = 22.4%
Chance of 3-way tie = 4.8%

Naperick

Thanks augie_superfan!
Good information!  It all makes sense to me.

Should be a great game tonight at R.A.F.

79jaybird

Thank you IWU70. 

Especially this year you cannot overlook your opponent and think any game is going to be a walk in the park.   One big key for Elmhurst is going to be their rebounding.   They seem to have some moments when they just cannot grab the boards and give opponents 2nd and 3rd opportunities.   Hopefully this will be a sound feature tonight for Elmhurst.
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

Gregory Sager

Quote from: sac on January 28, 2015, 08:41:23 AMThe CCIW will get 3, I don't think that's even a question unless goofy stuff happens.

I'm not going to be popular in this room for saying this, but here's to goofy stuff happening -- with NPU being the author of that goofy stuff.

Quote from: GoPerry on January 28, 2015, 10:17:21 AMDespite some really poor play this year, the Thunder have displayed a penchant for getting up for  the bigger games on their schedule (vs IWU, @ Augie, @EC) tonight being one of those.  Indeed they realistically have little else to play for in the 2nd half but to make some noise around the league against the teams with much more at stake.

... and it sounds like GoPerry agrees with me, except that he'd like Wheaton to be the team that brings the goofy stuff.

Tell you what, GoPerry and other Wheaton fans: If you'll root for the Park to administer some goofy stuff to the top four, I'll be on the bandwagon for your Orange and Blue to goofy-stuff this league as well. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell