Pep Bands vs. Canned Music at Football Games

Started by AUPepBand, May 07, 2006, 10:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank uible

Pep bands are always good - even the bad ones. Maybe especially the bad ones.

AUPepBand

Quote from: Bombers798891 on October 04, 2013, 04:43:31 AM
Quote from: sjfcards on October 03, 2013, 04:37:59 PM

Sometimes I really wish I went to Mount Union

Honestly, I never have. Call BS if you want, but I think at some point, it's got to take a lot of fun out of the season. Last year, they won 6 straight games by at least 50 points. They've had other seasons where they've won 11 games by 40+. I've seen the Bombers win games similarly (though not recently) and while it's nice as an every once in awhile thing, I really wouldn't want a season full of them.

I don't know. I think there's a lot of fun in exceeding expectations, pulling an upset, the drama of a back and forth game etc. I look at Mount's 2007 regular season, where I think they outscored teams 542-10. On some level that was fun to watch, I'm sure, but on another, I just think it would be really boring. That season was 13 games of blowouts, one semi interesting half against Ithaca, and then a upset loss.

Great season? Of course. Enjoyable? Eh. I'd take IC's 2001, where the regular season, in addition to a few blowouts, featured several really dramatic games, great comebacks, a end of season rivalry game with postseason implications and a pair of stunning road playoff upsets. Sure, Rowan kicked the ever-loving crap out of them, but a lot more interesting things happened than "Oh look, we won in dominating fashion again"

Pep agrees. It ain't fun. It (blowing everyone out) lacks the emotions so prevalent in life itself...as ABC Sports reminded Pep as a youngster, week after week after week, "The thrill of victory" (insert video of Pep hitting a long-range game-winning trey at the buzzer...oops, video not found) and the "agony of defeat" (insert video of rollerskating Pep taking an agonizing spill).

Heck, if Alfred's games were all like those at UMU, the AU fight song would hit the top of the pop charts. After every TD, the band plays the fight song (On Saxon Warriors!) once, sings it once, then plays it again. Every TD. It's become tradition. Following the 60-0 defeat at the hands of the Saxons at Merrill Field in a much-anticipated NCAA playoff game, a young fan of the SUNY Maritime Privateers was heard to say, "That band isn't very good. They only know one song and I've never heard it before."

Pep: "Get the fight song ready!"
Band: "It's always ready!"
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

dahlby

Hey Pep, if your opponents don't like your fight song, tell them to not let you score so much. :-)
Our "Pride of Chapman" pep band does the same thing.
Good luck to you guys!

AUPepBand

Quote from: dahlby on October 06, 2013, 06:19:12 PM
Hey Pep, if your opponents don't like your fight song, tell them to not let you score so much. :-)
Our "Pride of Chapman" pep band does the same thing.
Good luck to you guys!

Pep's tuba player had a "blow-out" at yesterday's 2 OT 39-33 thriller.....seriously. With the sun beating down all afternoon (the band arrived in the stands well before the 1 p.m. kick-off), the temperature rising to what must have been low 80s, plus the pace of the game and the band's attempt to keep up, at game's end, Pep's All-Star tuba player was white as a ghost. Seems he got light-headed and actually fell backwards, but was supported by the drumset platform. After some water to drink, he made his way back to his residence hall, drank some Gatorade and took a nap. He's better today.

Stay tuned!

njf1003

The second half of the game yesterday, we literately kept saying have you had water yet?
Our fight song seems to lack words, so yeah... that makes singing it challenging!

Ron Boerger

UMHB not only has a full-blown marching band, the guys that built their new $50 million football/student union complex even built them their own section in the end zone.   They sound pretty good too.

jcu_fan

Hi all,

I'm the director of the John Carroll University Pep Band.  Just found this thread, (although I notice we've been mentioned on it already.  Cool.)

The JCU Pep Band is celebrating it's 20th year.   We've played at all JCU Homegames, playoff games, and all BW and Mt. Union away games for that time.  (We also play all mens and womens home basketball games and playoff games in the spring.  We've also played at the DIII basketball finals in Salem for nine years in a row now.)

We'll be at the huge Mt. Union/JCU game this weekend, on the other side of the field from the Mt. Union marching band.  Can't wait.

AUKaz00

Quote from: jcu_fan on November 12, 2013, 09:54:59 PM
Hi all,

I'm the director of the John Carroll University Pep Band.  Just found this thread, (although I notice we've been mentioned on it already.  Cool.)

The JCU Pep Band is celebrating it's 20th year.   We've played at all JCU Homegames, playoff games, and all BW and Mt. Union away games for that time.  (We also play all mens and womens home basketball games and playoff games in the spring.  We've also played at the DIII basketball finals in Salem for nine years in a row now.)

We'll be at the huge Mt. Union/JCU game this weekend, on the other side of the field from the Mt. Union marching band.  Can't wait.

Playing in Alliance was a great experience for the AU Pep Band back in 2010.  We established ourselves a little section of the visitor's stands near the top before realizing there were bleachers set up on the field for us!  Nevermind, we preferred our view from higher up, surrounded by UMU season ticket holders!
Check out the official card game of the AU Pep Band - Str8 Eight!

AUPepBand

Quote from: jcu_fan on November 12, 2013, 09:54:59 PM
Hi all,

Good luck in Alliance Saturday! This may be the week (or decade) that an OAC team says, "Mount, be thou removed!" and it is! +K for your dedication to the band!