MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Thanks nescac1.....for those interested, the Amherst website has the entire video of the event.  Does bring back memories.

nescac1

NESCAC teams ranked in terms of who suffered the biggest (projected / expected) losses (I'm including players who seemingly left the program during the year or appear unlikely to return).  Only rotation players listed:

1. Wesleyan - Sam Peek as a D1 grad transfer (POY, all-American), Jordan James (all-NESCAC, elite rim protector, dominant down the stretch), Antone Walker (overqualified sixth man, 1000 point career scorer), Joe DeLollo (solid back-up big man)

2. Amherst - Garrett Day (2x all-NESCAC), Grant Robinson (1x all-NESCAC), Tim McCarthy (third on the team in made 3's despite playing only 11 games), Dev Allen.  Amherst loses its three leading scorers and 144 out of 211 made 3's from a team that already struggled to hit the three ball.  Although Amherst returns 10 guys from its massive rotation, only 3 of those players made more than 5 threes all season.

3. Tufts - Luke Rogers (former POY, 2x all-NESCAC), Brennan Morris (over 40 percent for his career from 3 despite a tough senior year), Will Brady (started the majority of games)

4. Bates - Stephon Baxter (leading scorer, all-NESCAC, announced intent to transfer so I'm assuming that he is not back), Omar Sarr (leading rebounder and shot-blocker, supposedly left program but not the school), Raheem Spence (tough rebounder and defender), Andrew Snoddy (solid rotation big who was, it appears, injured and missed his last semester)

5. Trinity - Donald Jorden (leading scorer and rebounder, all-NESCAC), Tyler Mola (rotation guard), Darius Lue (rotation guard), Kualim Johnson (promising forward who seems to have quit the program during last season; no longer listed on roster)

6. Hamilton - Nick Osarenren (DPOY, second-leading scorer), Elliott Tirbaso (starting guard).  Eric Anderson is, however, back for a fifth year.

7. Colby - Matt Hannah (second on team in points and assists, 1000 point career scorer)

8. Williams - Jovan Jones (elite defender, two year starter), Robert Taylor (44 percent from 3 as a senior)

Middlebury, Bowdoin and Conn College did not suffer significant losses to graduation, and should all be much-improved. 

SpringSt7

For the second time in three years, an Eph will have a chance to win the NBA championship!

nescac1

Trinity College with two really impressive late picks-ups ... in particular Jarrell Okurogou, ranked 61 in New England, who had, at least at one point, offers from UMass, Sienna and Albany.  Looks like a big-time athlete.  Trinity also added Dane Moran, a skilled and productive 6'9 big man from Lawrenceville School in NJ.  I imagine there is an interesting story regarding how Okurogou ended up in Nescac as he definitely seems like a higher-level talent (he was all-NEPSAC Class AA, you just don't see those dudes in D3).

Adding those two guys to a young nucleus of Callahan-Gold, Dorion and Otoo, Trinity is a team to watch as that group matures. 

nescac1

Huge Woj bomb:

Will Hardy and the Jazz are finalizing a five-year contract to make him the franchise's next coach, sources tell ESPN. Hardy, 34, will be the youngest active coach in the NBA.

The Ephs now have an NBA player, coach, and GM at the same time.  I have to imagine that's a first in Division III history ... pretty darn cool.  Now we just need Miami to trade Duncan to the Jazz ...

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Wow. I had heard he was all but promised the Spurs job when Pop retires. Good for him, though.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

toad22

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on June 28, 2022, 08:15:20 PM

Wow. I had heard he was all but promised the Spurs job when Pop retires. Good for him, though.

I don't think that was ever true, though he would have been in the top group.

nescac1

I think Quinn Snyder becoming available severely decreases anyone else's chances of getting the Spurs job, whenever it opens up (and as Toad says, that was far from a sure thing even before Snyder left Utah).  He would likely be the favorite for the job vs. anybody.  And Pop could easily end up coaching a many as two, maybe even three, more years -- he loves it, clearly, and probably wants to pad his lead in the all-time coaching wins race. Doc is only 300 wins behind, which is probably six years of coaching a team with Joel Embiid on it. 

nescac1

The incredible NESCAC NBA presence continues to grow this off-season.  I last updated this list of all NESCAC alums (that I know of, there are likely others) currently or recently working in the NBA around three years ago.  Those with an * were former NESCAC hoops players.  If I was a NESCAC student looking to work in the NBA, I'd start by networking with some of these folks ... for example, I can't imagine it's coincidental that three Amherst grads (two of whom were teammates I believe) are currently working for the Oklahoma City Thunder. 

While most of these folks are working on the business or management side, it's amazing how many NESCAC grads are more directly involved in the on-court product: two GM's, one Associate GM, one head coach, two other bench coaches, one shooting coach, one player, and one amateur scout.  That's pretty crazy for a league that offers no direct path to being an NBA player. 

Amherst:
*Connor Johnson -- Assistant Coach for Program Development, OKC
*Glenn Wong -- Chief of Staff OKC
Ezra Van Negri -- Strategic Planning Analyst, OKC
Ken Catanella -- Kings' Assistant G.M. (I think he may have just lost that job)
*Andrew Olson -- Cleveland Cavaliers shooting coach
H. Irving Grousbeck -- Co-owner and Managing Partner, Boston Celtics
*Adam Harper, Associate Vice President, Youth Basketball Development, NBA
Daniel Rube, Executive VP and Deputy General Counsel, NBA

Bates:
Peter Meisel -- Director, Player Health, NBA
Lucas Denning -- Director, Marketing Partnerships, NBA G League and G League Ignite

Bowdoin:
David Mandlebaum -- Business Development and Commercial Lead, NBA

Colby:
*Artie Cutrone -- Associate Vice President, Media Partnerships, NBA

Conn College:
*Zuri Pavlin -- Emerging Media, Production, NBA
Rob Hale -- Co-Owner and Director, Boston Celtics

Hamilton:
Gillian Zucker -- President of Business Operations, L.A. Clippers
Charlie Mierswa  -- (until recently) CFO, Brooklyn Nets
Brandon Leibsohn -- Manager of Basketball Strategy and Legal Affairs, San Antonio Spurs

Middlebury:
*Koby Altman -- Cleveland Cavaliers General Manager
Flint Reilly -- Director, Business Development, Global Partnerships, NBA (until November 2021)

Trinity:
*John Halas -- Amateur Scout, New York Knicks

Tufts:
Gautum Kapur -- Manager, Basketball Strategy, NBA
Kayin Cherry -- League Operations Senior Production Assistant, NBA (until January 2022)
Ed Tapscott -- Director of Player Development (and former interim coach), Washington Wizards
*Sonia Raman -- Assistant Coach, Memphis Grizzlies
*Pierce Larsson -- Senior Manager, NBA G League
Gregory Michel -- Vice President and Head of Procurement, NBA

Wesleyan:
*Greg St. Jean -- Assistant Coach, Dallas Mavericks
Theodore Dalton --  Senior VP, Corporate Partnerships and Business Development, Celtics
Dipali Ottaviani -- Associate Vice President, NBA
Michele Roberts -- Executive Director, NBA Player Association

Williams:
*Duncan Robinson -- Miami Heat player
*Will Hardy -- Utah Jazz head coach
*Rafael Stone -- Houston Rockets General Manager
Alexandra Roth -- Associate Vice President and Senior Associate Counsel, Legal Governance and Policy, NBA
Kailie Saudek -- Manager, Special Projects, NBA Player Association
Mark Kossick -- worked at NBA from 2007-2018, culminating in Vice President, International Programming, Global Content & Media Distribution

gordonmann

Wow. Very cool.

Thanks for putting this together.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The top three guys in the OKC front office are all Emerson guess, so they know the value of #d3hoops.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

jayhawk

Amherst grads David Wasserman and David Moore are limited co-owners of Atlanta Hawks
might as well make it complete

jmcozenlaw

Musk, Bezos and Zuckerberg slummed it at Penn, Princeton and Harvard and did OK for themselves!! ;)

P'bearfan

https://athletics.bowdoin.edu/news/2022/7/28/tyler-papadinis-named-assistant-mens-basketball-coach-at-bowdoin.aspx

Hope everyone is staying cool this summer!

Wanted to share a little basketball news from Brunswick as Bowdoin hires Tyler Papadinis as the Assistant Coach of Men's Basketball. 

Never too early to wish the Polar Bears good luck with the upcoming season.

Stay safe everyone!!