FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CardinalAlum

Quote from: USee on July 26, 2020, 10:50:13 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on July 21, 2020, 06:09:26 PM
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/diii-management-council-approves-flexibility-define-playing-season-days

I'm confident both the CCIW and WIAC will announce cancellation this week.

Though this didn't get announced last week I am hearing it's a done deal (Not surprisingly) and we will hear shortly.

Yes.  Will be official this morning.  🙁
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

SpartanHouse

MWC and NAC also doing the same thing.

Def no d3 football this fall.

CardinalAlum

D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

Gregory Sager

As was the case with the OAC and some of the other conferences that have pulled the plug on having sports this fall, the CCIW is explicitly postponing rather than canceling fall sports. The presser states clearly that the CCIW is actively pursuing the possibility of playing this fall's sports next spring in some form or another, on top of the usual spring-sports menu.

Let's be clear about this: the odds that the CCIW's schools could make that work are not great. It's a logistical nightmare, for reasons that have already been mentioned numerous times on this board and others. Training staffs, sports information and game-management support staffs, facilities, finances, scheduling ... there's more obstacles to overcome than anything you'll ever see on American Ninja Warrior.

But, man, I sure do hope that the CCIW's schools can make it work. Our league's student-athletes who compete in fall sports deserve their opportunity, if it can reasonably be provided for them without denying other student-athletes what they deserve as well. And on a personal note, I'm going to miss calling games this fall something fierce -- and I would relish the challenge of calling a softball/football/women's soccer/men's soccer quadruple-header some Saturday next spring.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Kovo

Quote from: CardinalAlum on July 27, 2020, 11:11:13 AM
Official word.....

https://cciw.org/news/2020/7/27/general-cciw-postpones-fall-2020-competition.aspx

Obviously very disappointing, but if there is a silver lining it is that North Central is likely to be defending NCAA D3 Football National Champions for the next sixteen months.   ;D ;D ;D

I think that I will sit back, light a big fat cigar and enjoy the thought of it.

formerd3db

Quote from: Kovo on July 27, 2020, 01:29:19 PM
Official word.....

https://cciw.org/news/2020/7/27/general-cciw-postpones-fall-2020-competition.aspx

I think that I will sit back, light a big fat cigar and enjoy the thought of it.

That sounds like a good thing to do anyway in view of all the craziness going on in our country at present, including the football dilemma/crisis.  I think I will do the same. :-\ :)
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

wally_wabash

Quote from: Gregory Sager on July 27, 2020, 12:37:37 PM
But, man, I sure do hope that the CCIW's schools can make it work. Our league's student-athletes who compete in fall sports deserve their opportunity, if it can reasonably be provided for them without denying other student-athletes what they deserve as well. And on a personal note, I'm going to miss calling games this fall something fierce -- and I would relish the challenge of calling a softball/football/women's soccer/men's soccer quadruple-header some Saturday next spring.

Gregory, I'm with you.  I hope we can get competitive sports for the fall student-athletes before the end of this academic year.  The logistical puzzle is extreme and is going to be very hard to solve- but that puzzle is moot if we don't do the hard work over the remaining four months of 2020 to get a grip on the public health crisis.  We can't afford wanderlust about what might be possible in 2021 and lose sight of what's happening presently. 

My fingers are crossed that Division III athletic departments have to spend the long days and nights figuring out how to accommodate a fall and spring sports season simultaneously.  I hope we get to have that problem. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

deepthroat

Have to wonder about the affect of enrollment on these schools. Lots of athletes are going to D3 and CCIW schools to play sports, why bother with the cost if your season is suspended for a year?

wally_wabash

Quote from: deepthroat on July 27, 2020, 02:34:31 PM
Have to wonder about the affect of enrollment on these schools. Lots of athletes are going to D3 and CCIW schools to play sports, why bother with the cost if your season is suspended for a year?

Is the worth of the institution only the opportunity to play a sport? 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

jknezek

Quote from: wally_wabash on July 27, 2020, 02:46:16 PM

Considering how often I've seen this argument put forth on this site, the NESCAC discussion of players taking gap years, and the obvious concern for how many players coaches can recruit at many schools, I'd say this is a significant issue with a lot of schools. It doesn't say much for higher education...

Titan Q

No.

But I think fair to say the average D3 student-athlete weighs the sports side heavily in making his/her college decision.  I'm not sure what % is the academic side vs the athletic side, but I'm confident the athletic side is significant.

For a student-athlete that came to college to both get a great education and play a sport, I can certainly see the consideration to sit 2020-21 out and pick back up in 2021-22...when they can have that full experience they signed up for.

And seeing as the average D3 school student population is 30-40% student-athletes, this is a very real concern.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Titan Q on July 27, 2020, 03:28:22 PM

No.

But I think fair to say the average D3 student-athlete weighs the sports side heavily in making his/her college decision.  I'm not sure what % is the academic side vs the athletic side, but I'm confident the athletic side is significant.

For a student-athlete that came to college to both get a great education and play a sport, I can certainly see the consideration to sit 2020-21 out and pick back up in 2021-22...when they can have that full experience they signed up for and, in the case of most private institutions, are paying an enormous amount of money for.

And seeing as the average D3 school student population is 30-40% student-athletes, this is a very real concern.

Bob's reply is on point, but I thought it was important to add this.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Quote from: Gregory Sager on July 27, 2020, 03:35:05 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on July 27, 2020, 03:28:22 PM

No.

For a student-athlete that came to college to both get a great education and play a sport, I can certainly see the consideration to sit 2020-21 out and pick back up in 2021-22...when they can have that full experience they signed up for and, in the case of most private institutions, are paying an enormous amount of money for.

Bob's reply is on point, but I thought it was important to add this.

Yes, critical addition.

D3 student-athletes are paying a ton of money for that academic/athletic experience.  I certainly understand anyone who decides it doesn't make sense to pay for a year in which they are not getting everything they decided to pay for.

Whitecarrera

Quote from: Kovo on July 27, 2020, 01:29:19 PM
Official word.....

Obviously very disappointing, but if there is a silver lining it is that North Central is likely to be defending NCAA D3 Football National Champions for the next sixteen months.   ;D ;D ;D

Kovo - cigar smoke kills the airborne coronavirus.  Honest - I read it on the internet (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Recognize the difference.