WBB: Centennial Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 24, 2004, 06:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diplomaniac1

Kudos to Dana Johns on her NCAA post-graduate scholarship. I didn't get to see her play alot over the last two years. However, she was a class act as a player and is certainly deserving of the award.

Eric

commish

It's time to get ready for the 2006-07 Centennial Conference women's basketball season.  The coaches and sports information directors in the CC have had their say ... and the winner is

Johns Hopkins (7) - 181
Dickinson (7) - 178
Muhlenberg (4) - 164
McDaniel (4) - 156
Ursinus - 125
Gettysburg - 118
Swarthmore - 93
Franklin & Marshall - 78
Haverford - 50
Washington - 48
Bryn Mawr - 24

(#) 1st place ballots

Ready for more ... the 2006-07 Centennial Conference Women's Basketball Media Guide is available for download in a PDF format.  Go to http://www.centennial.org/basketball/mediaguide/women/

eaglemaniac

Nice media guide for the Conference. Would like to see the CAC do something like it as well.
I may not always be Right........But I'm never Wrong!

sunny

Quote from: eaglemaniac on November 15, 2006, 05:02:52 PM
Nice media guide for the Conference. Would like to see the CAC do something like it as well.

Before your conference has a media guide, your conference needs full-time staff.  Two full-time people can get a lot more done than one part time person and one part-part-part time SID position that bounces between schools every year.

I'm sure there are qualified people who'd be interested, the CAC schools just need to pony up the money ...

commish

The 2007 Conference schedule tips off tonight at four venues.  You can watch two of the games (hopefully), as Haverford plans audio and video coverage of its opener against Dickinson.  The CCBN will be in Lancaster to broadcast the Gettysburg-Franklin & Marshall contest.  Live stats and play-by-play links of other action can be found on our Centennial "Gameday" site at http://www.centennial.org/basketball/women/gameday.html

burgfan

I hope we can get some discussion going on here this year.

The Mule women look much better than expected this year.  Graduating 8 seniors is tough, but the women are definitely stepping up the play.  Wins against DelVal and DeSales this early in the season show that they are the real deal.  Hopkins at Muhlenberg this weekend should be an awesome game.

rookie131

Burgfan, I agree that it would be great to get some conversation going.  I'm wondering though, which team do you support?  Seems that someone named burgfan would be a Gettysburg fan, not a Muhlenberg fan.

I agree that the Mule women look strong.  They had another great win on Saturday against Hopkins.  Coach Rohn has good depth this year, even after graduating 8 solid players.  Speaking of Coach Rohn, he's going for his 100th win on Tuesday vs Swarthmore.  He really is doing a great job with the Muhlenberg program.

rookie131

Well, I guess if no one else is going to post, it will be a fun season of talking to myself about the Mules.

Another nice win for the Mule women last night.  Great to see some of the players off the bench getting some significant time (take note Lincoln men's coach). 

Congrats to Coach Rohn on his 100th win.  He's tied for the second fastest to get there in Muhlenberg history.

rookie131

Great win for the Mules by a surprising 30-point margin.  Emily Wright just keeps draining those threes (5 in the first half). Meghan Courtney with 19 points and Erin McSherry with 9 rebounds certainly look great.  Coach Rohn keeps the great team play going, which is obvious when you look at stats like 15 assists and 11 players with points in the game.

If you would have asked me before the season started what the odds would be of this team starting out at 7-0, I would have probably given them a very slim chance.  It just seems to be a continuation of last year's mentality of refusing to lose.

Another awesome job ladies.  I'm looking forward to two more great games before the holiday break.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: burgfan on November 29, 2006, 04:47:27 PM
I hope we can get some discussion going on here this year.

It's easier to discuss if you don't delete your login. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

rookie131

Still no takers on women's basketball discussion?  I guess I'll continue with my riveting coverage of Muhlenberg.

The Mule women struggled a bit in the first half against a scrappy Washington team, but put it away easily in the second half.  Despite a less than stellar shooting percentage, Meghan Courtney still managed to score 30 points.  Oh yeah, and she also had 15 rebounds, four assists and two blocked shots.  Also can't overlook Erin McSherry's 10 rebounds, Emily Wright's 12 points and Lauren Boyle's 10 points in 12 minutes.

Next up is Susquehanna on Saturday.  They are 6-1 this season with recent wins over Moravian and Wilkes.  They seem to be strong defensively, so it could be an interesting matchup.

commish

I'll at least join in with some fodder from the home office ... it was an impressive win for the Mules over Hopkins, but the other three wins in the CC are against Bryn Mawr, Swarthmore and Washington who are a combined 0-12 in the Conference this season.  The real fun should begin with that three-game stretch from Jan. 11-17 against McDaniel, Johns Hopkins (again) and Ursinus.

In addition to watching the usual suspects (Dickinson, McDaniel, JHU), keep an eye on the Bears, who have a senior-dominated lineup, and Gettysburg, who has a young team that will only get better throughout the year.

It looks like a lively six-team race for the five Centennial playoff spots.  I applaud your efforts to get some conversation going here and to everyone else ... we welcome your responses

rookie131

Okay, I'll give you the conference wins haven't been against the top schools, but their last two non-conference wins are against DeSales (5-3) and Drew (5-4), so it isn't like they have been rolling over teams that don't have some good play.  the conference schedule definitely does get tougher after the holiday break.  It will be interesting to see what they can do.

rookie131

Great comeback for the Mules today against a very tough Susquehanna team.  Muhlenberg trailed by 8 with about 2 minutes to go in the game, but they stepped up the play to force an overtime and get a win.  Susquehanna's defense was very strong and definitely had the Mules scrambling at times.  It was a great test for Muhlenberg and also a great win.

I am sorry to say that I was disappointed in the fans that came with Susquehanna.  It is absolutely no reflection on the players or their program, but it is sad to hear fans being so negative toward the opposing coach, team, and yes, even the refs.  I wish more fans would just cheer on their team and leave the negativity somewhere else. 

susquejamma

Quote from: rookie131 on December 16, 2006, 05:15:02 PM
I am sorry to say that I was disappointed in the fans that came with Susquehanna.  It is absolutely no reflection on the players or their program, but it is sad to hear fans being so negative toward the opposing coach, team, and yes, even the refs.  I wish more fans would just cheer on their team and leave the negativity somewhere else. 

What fans? There were only 116 fans in attendance, and I'm sure Susquehanna's followers were slim-to-nill. Secondly, can you tell me you've never voiced your concerns of less-than-par officiating. Suck it up Mules.