Mount Rushmore of D3 Coaches

Started by Greek Tragedy, April 25, 2020, 06:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: WUPHF on May 04, 2020, 12:43:45 AMFrom now on, I expect to see his name written as Бошко Ђуричковић.

We can definitely have some fun with that.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ralph Turner

Is TGHIJGSTO!!! Serbian, too?

WUPHF

augie77

Augustana's Grey Giovanine has announced his retirement after 21 years at the school, and six years at D1 Lamar.  There'd been discussion here that Coach G. could one day make it into the Rushmore discussion, but retirement probably quells that idea.  A national search for his successor will commence.

PauldingLightUP

Quote from: augie77 on May 05, 2020, 08:35:26 PM
Augustana's Grey Giovanine has announced his retirement after 21 years at the school, and six years at D1 Lamar.  There'd been discussion here that Coach G. could one day make it into the Rushmore discussion, but retirement probably quells that idea.  A national search for his successor will commence.

I'd say he has a place on a Mount Rushmore of coaches never to win a National Championship.

Gregory Sager

That sounds like more of a Crazy Horse of coaches. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 05, 2020, 05:03:54 PM
Is TGHIJGSTO!!! Serbian, too?

Quote from: WUPHF on May 05, 2020, 07:56:31 PM
TГИJCTO!

So, it takes 3 exclamation points in English to say what a Serb can say in one!

;D

Gregory Sager

It depends upon how much slivovitz the Serb has had prior to the exclamatory statement.

Gray Fox

Greg Popovich, Pomona  1979-86 and 1987-88.  He was an assistant at Kansas 1986-87
Fierce When Roused

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gray Fox on May 06, 2020, 02:36:03 PM
Greg Popovich, Pomona  1979-86 and 1987-88.  He was an assistant at Kansas 1986-87

Nothing against Pop, but what did he do in DIII that would get him on the DIII Mount Rushmore?

He is a great coach, sure, but it is about what was done in the division.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

Exactly. Otherwise, we'd have to put Jim Calhoun on it, too.

thebear

Quote from: augie77 on May 05, 2020, 08:35:26 PM

Grey was replaced at Lamar by Potsdam (and Jerry Welsh coaching tree) alum Mike Deane after he fell from grace at Marquette.  Mike stole an NCAA bid at Lamar (third different school he took to the dance), before his AD, one Billy Tubbs, decided to take another stab at coaching.  Deane moved to Wagner, where he came within a game of taking a fourth team to the dance and wound up as an asst to his former Siena Player, Matt Brady at James Madison, retired a couple of years ago.
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

cubs

Quote from: thebear on May 01, 2020, 07:03:04 PM
to get us back on task.  I submit the following:

Winning Coach   Titles   Seconds
Ryan, Bo               4                0
McCarrell, Dan       3                0
Welsh, Jerry       2                3
Bessoir, Bob       2                1
Bennett, Jack       2                0
Edwards, Mark       2                0
Hixson, David       2                0
Miller, Pat               2                0
Semling, Bob       2                0
VanderMeulen, Dave   2        0
Djurikovic, Bosco   2                0
Neer, Mike              1                2
Johnson, Jerry      1                1
Lewis, Matt      1                1
Macedo, Dave      1                1
Paulsen, Dave      1                1
Geez!  I guess I didn't realize that the WSUC/WIAC was a perfect 12-0 in the National Championship game before Matt Lewis and UWO fell short in 2018.   ;)

I guess they made up for it in 2019 though!  ;D
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

WUPHF

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 06, 2020, 02:11:45 PM
So, it takes 3 exclamation points in English to say what a Serb can say in one!

;D

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 06, 2020, 02:19:35 PM
It depends upon how much slivovitz the Serb has had prior to the exclamatory statement.

Živeli

(10 months living in the Balkans is finally paying off)

Gregory Sager

All the Serbian-Americans I know (and the one Serbian-Australian I know) are just fine with calling it slivovitz, which seems to be the generic Slavic name for damson-plum brandy. It's typically the word used on the bottle labels over here.