Semling, Bob       2                0
VanderMeulen, Dave   2        0
Djurikovic, Bosco   2                0
Neer, Mike              1                2
Johnson, Jerry      1                1
Lewis, Matt      1                1
Macedo, Dave      1                1
Paulsen, Dave      1                1
Geez!  I guess I didn't realize that the WSUC/WIAC was a perfect 12-0 in the National Championship game before Matt Lewis and UWO fell short in 2018.   ;)

I guess they made up for it in 2019 though!  ;D

Very true about the WIAC in title games.

I'm somewhat surprised no one brought this forward before, Lewis is actually just 1-0. Juckem was the head coach in 2018. Otherwise from what I see it looks good and great work thebear.

SpringSt7

With Moore, Robinson, Hixon, and Giovanine leaving the D3 coaching world in the last 9 months or so, who is now the active coach most likely to put himself in that conversation in the next few years?

For the sake of argument, let's not include Bosko--if only because he is already firmly in the conversation.

The current active wins leaders in D3 don't really give us much help, just 8 of the top 50 (wins are through 2019, best I could find):

13. Brian Baptiste, U-Mass Dartmouth, 645
24. Bob McVean, RIT, 572
27. Charlie Brock, Springfield, 557
(30. Bosko Djurickovic, 552)
31. Bill Fenlon, DePauw, 550
35. Todd Raridon, North Central, 536
43. Kerry Prather, Franklin, 511
45. Mark Hanson, Gustavus Adolphus, 508

Not including Bosko, that's 3879 wins with 5 Final Four appearances to show for it. Of that list, Raridon has 2, and I think the case is easily made that he is in the best position of the 7 to earn more achievements, especially if there is going to be a potential power shift in the CCIW (although Augustana will surely continue its success as a program).

Other names to throw out there, with my very limited knowledge of D3 coaching history:
-Eric Bridgeland, if he can build Redlands into a Whitman-like program
-Jeff Brown, Middlebury, 400+ career wins, always a national contender of late, even if the national results seem to underwhelm
-Dale Wellman, Nebraska Wesleyan, still a very young coach but already has a ring under his belt, big rebuild ahead but if NWU can become a regional power, those win totals will rise in a hurry

Any other nominees?

WUPHF

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 06, 2020, 11:11:11 PM
All the Serbian-Americans I know (and the one Serbian-Australian I know) are just fine with calling it slivovitz, which seems to be the generic Slavic name for damson-plum brandy. It's typically the word used on the bottle labels over here.

Rakija is the more common name in Serbia, but šlivovitz is suitable as well.

Živeli though is one of two ways of saying cheers.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: SpringSt7 on May 06, 2020, 11:57:58 PM
With Moore, Robinson, Hixon, and Giovanine leaving the D3 coaching world in the last 9 months or so, who is now the active coach most likely to put himself in that conversation in the next few years?

For the sake of argument, let's not include Bosko--if only because he is already firmly in the conversation.

The current active wins leaders in D3 don't really give us much help, just 8 of the top 50 (wins are through 2019, best I could find):

24. Bob McVean, RIT, 572

Not including Bosko, that's 3879 wins with 5 Final Four appearances to show for it. Of that list, Raridon has 2, and I think the case is easily made that he is in the best position of the 7 to earn more achievements, especially if there is going to be a potential power shift in the CCIW (although Augustana will surely continue its success as a program).

Other names to throw out there, with my very limited knowledge of D3 coaching history:
-Jeff Brown, Middlebury, 400+ career wins, always a national contender of late, even if the national results seem to underwhelm
-Dale Wellman, Nebraska Wesleyan, still a very young coach but already has a ring under his belt, big rebuild ahead but if NWU can become a regional power, those win totals will rise in a hurry

Any other nominees?
I finally have something to add to the conversation... Kerry Prather is no longer on the active list as he retired after the season (but will remain at Franklin as President next year)
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

So, we did, at some point, decide the list should be about accomplishments over one's ability to coach?  I have a hard time separating the notion of what a coach has accomplished on the floor and to what degree I'd be excited about a potential basketball playing child to be on the coach's team.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

jamtod

Quote from: SpringSt7 on May 06, 2020, 11:57:58 PM

24. Bob McVean, RIT, 572

Any other nominees?

Also very early, but Coach Tauer at St Thomas is worth keeping an eye on. I think the 211-50 overall record is current through 9 seasons. One national title and another Final 4 as head coach and 1 title as top assistant. Two time D3 coach of the year.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: WUPHF on May 07, 2020, 01:28:10 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 06, 2020, 11:11:11 PM
All the Serbian-Americans I know (and the one Serbian-Australian I know) are just fine with calling it slivovitz, which seems to be the generic Slavic name for damson-plum brandy. It's typically the word used on the bottle labels over here.

Rakija is the more common name in Serbia, but šlivovitz is suitable as well.

Živeli though is one of two ways of saying cheers.

Ah! Noted and filed. Thanks ... or, perhaps I should say, "Хвала вам."  ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

SpringSt7

Quote from: jamtod on May 07, 2020, 09:05:08 AM
Also very early, but Coach Tauer at St Thomas is worth keeping an eye on. I think the 211-50 overall record is current through 9 seasons. One national title and another Final 4 as head coach and 1 title as top assistant. Two time D3 coach of the year.

Jon Tauer would have the best case of any current coach by far, but I think it will be tough for him to climb the D3 Mt. Rushmore if he is coaching D1  ;)

SpringSt7

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on May 07, 2020, 08:59:03 AM

So, we did, at some point, decide the list should be about accomplishments over one's ability to coach?  I have a hard time separating the notion of what a coach has accomplished on the floor and to what degree I'd be excited about a potential basketball playing child to be on the coach's team.

Isn't it kind of both? I mean if you can coach, theoretically, the wins and what not will come. Or at least you should be able to showcase enough coaching ability to put yourself in a position where you can do that. It should be a sliding scale---the achievements and totality argument isn't the be all and end all, but if we're talking about the very best coaches, who have been doing it for decades, doesn't it all become the same thing at some point?

Gregory Sager

Quote from: SpringSt7 on May 07, 2020, 01:35:55 PM
Jon Tauer would have the best case of any current coach by far, but I think it will be tough for him to climb the D3 Mt. Rushmore if he is coaching D1  ;)

Coaches are climbing the D3 Mount Rushmore? I thought that they were supposed to aspire to be carved into the D3 Mount Rushmore!

Perhaps we can give out the Cary Grant Award for the coach who appears to be climbing Mount Rushmore in order to get away from assassins. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

jamtod

Quote from: SpringSt7 on May 07, 2020, 01:35:55 PM
Quote from: jamtod on May 07, 2020, 09:05:08 AM

Ha! I had honestly forgot about that whole D1 thing for a bit. But it seems like the NCAA may have as well, so it's possible that whole transition gets delayed leaving us in some sort of no man's land for a bit.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: SpringSt7 on May 07, 2020, 01:40:36 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on May 07, 2020, 08:59:03 AM

Isn't it kind of both? I mean if you can coach, theoretically, the wins and what not will come. Or at least you should be able to showcase enough coaching ability to put yourself in a position where you can do that. It should be a sliding scale---the achievements and totality argument isn't the be all and end all, but if we're talking about the very best coaches, who have been doing it for decades, doesn't it all become the same thing at some point?

I'm not sure it is.  There are definitely different approaches to this, for sure.  I'm not saying I'm correct in my opinion, but, for example, I'd never put Bobby Knight on a "best" list anywhere. The guy got results, for sure, and he knows basketball, but I just don't respect the way he went about his job.  That's not to say I'm right and he's wrong, but I feel a certain way about it.

From a different perspective, you might mention John Calipari.  The guy can flat out recruit.  He gets great talent and he wins a lot with them.  No one (Cal included, I think), will tell you he's among the best at coaching basketball.  Many would argue his coaching has cost him as many titles as his recruiting has earned him.

For me, if I were making a list like this (and I've come to the conclusion that four is too few), I would certainly do more than just put together a resume of accomplishments.  That's an important element, but I don't think that should be the primary means of constructing such a list.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on May 07, 2020, 03:03:49 PMFrom a different perspective, you might mention John Calipari.  The guy can flat out recruit.  He gets great talent and he wins a lot with them.  No one (Cal included, I think), will tell you he's among the best at coaching basketball.  Many would argue his coaching has cost him as many titles as his recruiting has earned him.

Honestly, and I'm not singling you out with this, Ryan, I've never understood how some fans make a distinction between "recruiting" and "coaching" as though they're two different things. Recruiting is part of college coaching, not something utterly distinct. If you're hired to be a coach, you're hired to recruit, plain and simple, just as you're also hired to run practices (including skills tutoring), construct game plans, hire and supervise assistants, manage the team during games, run camps, etc. It's part of what coaching is at the collegiate level -- the most important part, in fact.

Titan Q

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 07, 2020, 03:20:01 PMRecruiting is part of college coaching, not something utterly distinct.
I think every great coach will tell you recruiting is the most important part of college coaching.

NEhoops

SpringSt7, regarding active coaches, Bob Semling (Wis.-Stevens Point) and Pat Miller (Wis.-Whitewater) are currently 2nd and 4th in all-time winning percentage respectively and have both won two national championships. I think that firmly puts them in the conversation for future consideration.