BB: Top Teams in West Region

Started by CrashDavisD3, February 20, 2012, 08:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spence

Quote from: 108 Stitches on March 25, 2014, 09:31:43 PM
It's not always about Velo Spence. Pitcher tonight gave up 3 runs on 1 hit. Got to put it over the dish.

Why are you telling me? You're the one saying that this is the best pitching staff they've ever had.

BamColt

Why all the butthurt towards Trinity?

Great game tonight in Austin, Trinity fought back and made it interesting in the top of the ninth.
The lefty that threw for Concordia tonight really mixed it up. Starter for Trinity caught some unlucky breaks with some passed balls.
I am sure both of these teams will see each other here in about a month or two.

Spence

Quote from: BamColt on March 25, 2014, 11:02:46 PM

Please. We go through this every year.

We hear how awesome Trinity is and what amazing pitchers they have and every year they don't get it done once they have to play good teams.

And they didn't get it done tonight going against guys that have hardly pitched all year. Meanwhile, the best staff ever offers up a guy that throws 70 pitches in 2 2/3 innings with 1 hit allowed. I'm not even sure I would have thought that possible.

108 Stitches

Quote from: Spence on March 25, 2014, 08:44:33 PM
I've stopped believing this hyperbole about how Trinity always has half a dozen guys that throw 90 or some such. They must have a fast gun there or something.
I was responding to your question regarding Velo. Pitcher who started tonight is routinely 91-94 not my numbers but pro scout numbers, but gave up 3 runs on 1 hit. He might throw hard but if you can't throw strikes it does not matter.

They do have a deep staff, gave up 6 hits and lost. It happens. I never said the best ever, don't know. They are good and deep, trust me there are lots of teams that would love to have this pitching staff.

They had 10 hits but could not string anything together tonight. Good game by CTX, particularly their starter who kept TU off balance. TU showed that the untouchable closer is human. Too little too late.

Both teams will likely be in the West Regional.

Spence

Trust me not many teams would have wanted to have that pitching performance tonight. 7 walks, 2 hit batters, 164 total pitches in 8 innings and 3 of 4 guys being ineffective is not gonna be a winner against very many quality opponents. And from the stats this doesn't look like the first time finding the strike zone has been an issue.

CTX going for the jugular in the third inning was an interesting decision. Didn't end up mattering, but I liked the move.

SCAC_BaseballFan

Spence,

Have you seen Trinity play? We are not crowning them champions, but yes they have a better staff that probably 95% of D3 teams.

Hey everyone, I am new to the boards. I have recently played in the SCAC, but have moved on from my playing days. I am not affiliated with Trinity in any manner either. They earned our respect though on the field. I have lurked on this board for several years, but decided to join today.

Spence - I think just about every coach in America at the D3 level would trade their pitching staff for Trinity's staff. Not saying they are always going to produce at a high level every single outing, but they give their team a shot to win the game dang near every single game.

Spence

Not in person. Online I have, of course.

Maybe I'll see them someday but I don't spend much time in Texas and they don't spend much time in Wisconsin.

Better than 95% would be something like 17th best or higher. Nah, don't think so right now. If you'd said 90 I might be ok with that. I don't think a ton of the top tier teams in D-III would want a pitching staff that has issues getting the ball over the plate.

SCAC_BaseballFan

I respect your opinion, but I disagree. You can have the Austin College pitching staff and their 87 walks. Give me the Trinity staff with 109 walks. Centenary's pitching staff has 86 walks in the same amount of games as Trinity yet has a sub .500 record.

Spence

Quote from: SCAC_BaseballFan on March 26, 2014, 12:30:54 AM
I respect your opinion, but I disagree. You can have the Austin College pitching staff and their 87 walks. Give me the Trinity staff with 109 walks. Centenary's pitching staff has 86 walks in the same amount of games as Trinity yet has a sub .500 record.

Guessing neither of them are in the top 10% either. Not really a valid argument.

Westside

Wow. I wasn't sure how many walks that was compared to other teams so I looked at the top 4 teams in the NWC.

Linfield - 53 walks in 21 games.
PLU - 66 walks in 20 games.
Willamette - 54 walks in 23 games.
George Fox - 50 walks in 23 games.

Basically half as many walks as Trinity (109 in 24 games)... Free passes are killer when you play good teams and it comes down to one run.
NWC Baseball

SCAC_BaseballFan

Like I said, not saying they are the greatest staff in America, but they have top tier talent. I think you are slighting them just a little bit and basing your opinion on their lack of WS appearances. It is obviously a trend at this point that they haven't been to Appleton, but I don't think it's fair to paint them as an average pitching staff because of that fact.

No disrespect, Spence. I enjoy constructive debates as that what boards like this are for. And I guess we will really find out in May if they are ready to rise to the occasion.

Spence

There's no point in having a conversation with you. You consistently put words in my mouth that I never said. This is not in any way constructive.

Average in D-III is like 190th (technically that would be ordinal median, but the raw median is likely to be extremely close to the raw mean, however one endeavored to define it for a pitching staff). Right now in my personal rankings I have TU 24th...so yeah, not even close.

If you mean no disrespect, then debate against what I say and not what you want me to have said.

108 Stitches

Welcome SCAC baseball fan!

They actually rank 8 in the country based on ERA from the NCAA which would put them in the top 2%, but logic escapes Spence and his arrival in the West board is pretty consistent, once TU loses a game he shows up. When they are winning he is not around.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/baseball/d3/current/team/211

I do agree that TU walk rate is too high but 25%  of those walks are from one pitcher.  You take him out and statistically they are in the mix.  Westside is correct walks in close tournament games will kill a team.

dp643

Quote from: Spence on March 25, 2014, 11:17:42 PM
Quote from: BamColt on March 25, 2014, 11:02:46 PM

Please. We go through this every year.

We hear how awesome Trinity is and what amazing pitchers they have and every year they don't get it done once they have to play good teams.

And they didn't get it done tonight going against guys that have hardly pitched all year. Meanwhile, the best staff ever offers up a guy that throws 70 pitches in 2 2/3 innings with 1 hit allowed. I'm not even sure I would have thought that possible.

Pretty bold statement considering the lost to the eventual national champion 3-1 in the regional final (after beating the eventual national champion) just last season.

Nowhere did 108 claim this to be the best staff ever, merely (in his opinion) Trinity's deepest staff since he has been following. Two completely different statements. Talk about putting words into someone's mouth?

In regards to the "fast gun" comment, I can confirm from the team I follow had Bogese clocked at 91-94, and Tindall and Griffith 88-90. Again, as 108 pointed out, velocity isnt everything, but I seriously doubt many in D3 have that type of velocity out of 2 bullpen guys and a #4 starter.

On a side note, CTX looks to be pretty impressive as well this year.

tigerfan_2001

Must be getting close to April because here come Spence and all his anger towards TU.  Best advice, learning from my past mistakes, completely ignore Specen/foreheavendial4499