MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WUPHF

Quote from: Titan Q on November 24, 2020, 09:26:34 PM
I do not judge anyone who felt they needed to go visit their family this Thanksgiving.  There is more to this than case numbers.

I convinced my parents to cancel Thanksgiving, but I still agree wholeheartedly with this.

Titan Q

Quote from: WUPHF on November 24, 2020, 10:06:59 PM
I do not judge anyone who felt they needed to go visit their family this Thanksgiving.  There is more to this than case numbers.

I convinced my parents to cancel Thanksgiving, but I still agree wholeheartedly with this.

I have not seen my Mom (78) and Dad (85) in 10 months and decided not to fly to Chicago for Thanksgiving (despite them begging me to).  They are not doing all that well and I'm not sure when I can/should see them.

But I think it's really unfortunate people are shaming others for needing/wanting to see their family. 

I really, really can't wait until the pandemic over.  It's bringing out the worst in people.

WUPHF

I could not agree more.

I know it is taking a toll on my parents who are 81.  I argued that they could trade in this holiday for a few more down the road, but as one can imagine, he cynically responded by asking what if he does not get another shot. 

WUPHF

As Tweeted by Carthage and compiled by D3Playbook:

Carthage College recently retired its Redmen and Lady Red nicknames for its athletic teams. The quest was on for new team name suggestions and the College received over 450. Every submission was reviewed and here are the some of the semifinalists! The remainder will be released today.

Lake Hawks
    Vanguard
    Fleet
    Phoenicians
    Railsplitters
    War Elephants
    Navigators
    Ice Wolves

Not much improvement for round two...

Fire
    Storm
    Surge
    Waves
    Courage
    Firebirds
    Fighting Tide
    Coho

Earlier, I was going to suggest Carthage Asian Carp, a reference that will resonate more and more of the years. 

I definitely did not expect to see Carthage Coho Salmon, though Kenosha is apparently a first peoples word meaning place of the pike, so a fish reference resonates.

If I cared about Carthage, I would say it better be the elephants...

Feedback can be shared at: https://t.co/dKXRPxM2WS?amp=1

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

If they don't end up with an elephant mascot named Hannibal, they have missed a huge opportunity.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Titan Q on November 24, 2020, 10:10:59 PM
Quote from: WUPHF on November 24, 2020, 10:06:59 PM

I have not seen my Mom (78) and Dad (85) in 10 months and decided not to fly to Chicago for Thanksgiving (despite them begging me to).  They are not doing all that well and I'm not sure when I can/should see them.

But I think it's really unfortunate people are shaming others for needing/wanting to see their family. 

I really, really can't wait until the pandemic over.  It's bringing out the worst in people.

Amen to that. My mom is 77, and she lives alone in Florida with none of her children, grandchildren, or great-grandchildren living near her. Nobody begrudges the fact that she and my late father chose to move down there after my dad retired -- she's got plenty of friends, lots of activities to keep her busy, a church where she's involved -- especially since twelve months of sunshine is something we think she's earned after a lifetime spent dealing with upstate New York's endless overcast dreariness and snowstorms piled upon snowstorms. But, as Bob alludes, the holidays are particularly tough on the elderly when they can't be with family. My mom really wanted me to fly down to Florida for Christmas. I said no, both because living in Covid-soaked Chicago makes me feel like Typhoid Mary, and because Florida's loosey-goosey attitude towards the disease does freak me out a little ... but I'm certainly not going to give my sister a hard time for going to visit her.

Bob's right about the judgmentalism we're experiencing. This hasn't been our society's finest hour -- and this is self-indicting to some degree on my part, since I say it as someone who himself gets ticked off every time that he walks into a room or gets onto a bus where people are unmasked and are blithely indifferent to social distancing.

Quote from: WUPHF on November 24, 2020, 10:26:03 PM
I could not agree more.

I know it is taking a toll on my parents who are 81.  I argued that they could trade in this holiday for a few more down the road, but as one can imagine, he cynically responded by asking what if he does not get another shot. 

My mom's got me trained to the point where she doesn't even need to say stuff like that in order for me to feel guilty. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Quote from: WUPHF on November 24, 2020, 10:39:37 PM

Carthage College recently retired its Redmen and Lady Red nicknames for its athletic teams. The quest was on for new team name suggestions and the College received over 450. Every submission was reviewed and here are the some of the semifinalists! The remainder will be released today.

Lake Hawks
    Vanguard
    Fleet
    Phoenicians
    Railsplitters
    War Elephants
    Navigators
    Ice Wolves

Fire
    Storm
    Surge
    Waves
    Courage
    Firebirds
    Fighting Tide
    Coho

"The Carthage Courage"? Good grief.

"Fighting Tide"? I've got the perfect t-shirt for them:

After all, with the possible exception of Gain, who fights Tide more than Arm & Hammer?

"Coho," to a vast swath of Chicagolanders over the age of 40, will always be a word associated with DJ Steve Dahl -- and it's not a particularly positive association in terms of how it would apply to sports teams.

I think that Carthage should combine two of these entries and call the school's teams the Storm Surge. They could then use this:

or this:

as their new logo.

Quote from: WUPHF on November 24, 2020, 10:39:37 PMEarlier, I was going to suggest Carthage Asian Carp, a reference that will resonate more and more of the years. 

I definitely did not expect to see Carthage Coho Salmon, though Kenosha is apparently a first peoples word meaning place of the pike, so a fish reference resonates.

The Carthage campus is bordered by Pike Creek, and Kenosha itself was originally known as Pike Creek before the townspeople decided to adopt the Ojibwe version of the name, so calling Carthage teams the Northern Pike would actually be apt. It'd be a cool moniker for Carthage teams; northern pike have a reputation among fishing enthusiasts as being among the most hard-fighting of all game fish.

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on November 25, 2020, 08:29:13 AM

If they don't end up with an elephant mascot named Hannibal, they have missed a huge opportunity.

Agreed.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

kenoshamark

Well if they go with the Northern Pike, then we can schedule a game with Lakeland University who go by the Muskies.  Both fish are supposed to be tough so lets put a marketing spin on it too.  I think the game has to be played on a Friday night to also coincide with the ever popular Wisconsin Friday night fish fry (serve up sandwiches at halftime). 

Now, if they want to really sound tough, I think you go with the Carthage Sturgeon

Happy Thanksgiving to all !!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: kenoshamark on November 25, 2020, 01:24:18 PM
Well if they go with the Northern Pike, then we can schedule a game with Lakeland University who go by the Muskies.  Both fish are supposed to be tough so lets put a marketing spin on it too.

I had the same thought, K-Mark. Calling Carthage the Northern Pike would ratchet up a natural piscine-based rivalry with Lakeland.

Quote from: kenoshamark on November 25, 2020, 01:24:18 PMI think the game has to be played on a Friday night to also coincide with the ever popular Wisconsin Friday night fish fry (serve up sandwiches at halftime). 

Ha ha! Hadn't thought about that! But it's true: Friday fish fry is as Wisconsin as brats, blaze-orange outerwear in autumn, Brett Favre jerseys, string cheese, and local cops catching FIB vacationers in dubious speed traps every summer.

Quote from: kenoshamark on November 25, 2020, 01:24:18 PMNow, if they want to really sound tough, I think you go with the Carthage Sturgeon

Happy Thanksgiving to all !!

Right back atcha, old friend.

lmitzel

Quote from: WUPHF on November 24, 2020, 10:39:37 PM

Lake Hawks
    Vanguard
    Fleet
    Phoenicians
    Railsplitters
    War Elephants
    Navigators
    Ice Wolves

Fire
    Storm
    Surge
    Waves
    Courage
    Firebirds
    Fighting Tide
    Coho

Earlier, I was going to suggest Carthage Asian Carp, a reference that will resonate more and more of the years. 

If I cared about Carthage, I would say it better be the elephants...

Feedback can be shared at: https://t.co/dKXRPxM2WS?amp=1

Okay, my first pick would be War Elephants. Only real downside is announcing "Traveling violation, War Elephants' ball" is kind of a mouthful. But I'd get over it.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Titan Q

I've seen 4 Augustana recruiting commitments come across Twitter so far:

* Mario Everett, 6-0 PG (Centaurus HS; Lafayette, CO)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9y0Itlbb3Y&feature=emb_logo

* Luke Seiffert, 5-11 PG (Palatine HS)
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10564191/5f46e099e97bbb00d46da7ea

* Colin Weems, 6-0 PG (Chaminade College Prep; Los Angeles)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ptDjOrx8Ag&feature=youtu.be

* Nate Williams, 6-3 SG (Cactus Shadows HS; Cave Creek, AZ)
https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/nate-williams/risRJQvgEeqAzqREozo6lw/videos.htm

Titan Q

Pat and the D3hoops.com crew need our help...

https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2020/12/d3sports-needs-your-help

I signed up for 1 of the 4 levels today...hope you will consider doing the same.

Thanks!

USee

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Titan Q on December 01, 2020, 03:10:23 PM
Pat and the D3hoops.com crew need our help...

https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2020/12/d3sports-needs-your-help

I signed up for 1 of the 4 levels today...hope you will consider doing the same.

Thanks!

Hear, hear!