FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunderdog

Quote from: izzy stradlin on September 20, 2016, 11:22:54 PM
Stevenson had a breakout game Sunday.   He is looking more comfortable in the defense and obviously has the athleticism to be a big time player.  He, Greenlee and Spielman are really stepping up so far on that side of the ball.   

The other Thunder defender that (doesn't get mentioned often) but had a terrific game @ Carthage was CB #9 JR Marcus Smith. I thought he played with a controlled "reckless abandon" particularly against the run. Keep bringing it Marcus!

USee

That's disappointing for Tittan fans.  IWU has a great defense but right now they are struggling on offense. 

izzy stradlin

The Wheaton coaches really think Bowers is the better QB.  I'm a huge Swider fan but now I'm not sure if they are stubborn or just dumb. 

#playjohnny

Gregory Sager

Illinois Wesleyan 45
North Park 10

For the second straight week this looked like the bad old days from the Vikings. They really struggled to do anything right in all three phases of the game. As was the case for Elmhurst last week, North Park looked like the cure for what ailed an opposing offense that had struggled this season until it faced the Vikings. Offensively, the Vikings were a shambles -- give plenty of credit to IWU's very stout front seven for much of that -- but a lot of it was just poor execution by the Vikings as well. Special teams was a disaster for the Park, too, so there's plenty of blame to go around.

I guess that next week in Decatur we'll see if NPU can muster up the mental toughness to keep this season from totally falling apart.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Wheaton 10
Elmhurst 6

For the second week in a row Wheaton has to eke out a narrow win, this one a come-from-behind affair in the fourth quarter.

Carthage 27
Augustana 24

Jamal Davis rushed for a touchdown in the final minute to give homestanding Carthage the comeback win.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Big day for IWU RB Maurice Shoemaker-Gilmore.  Four TDs - 2 rushing, 1 on a kickoff return, 1 passing.  20 carries for 150 yards, 3 catches for 36 yards.  He is quite a weapon for the Titans.

Looks like freshman Brandon Bauer is officially the guy at QB now.  He did a nice job today - 18-28 for 149 yards and 2 TDs.  I like him - quick release, accurate, and can run.  I'd like to have Jack Warner out there, but in his absence it seems clear Bauer is the best option.  Bauer has a skill set very similar to Warner's - both "dual threat" kind of QBs.

The Titans host Wheaton Saturday.  I'm hoping they compete better than they did against North Central where it the men vs the boys.  My gut feeling is that IWU will make it a game.  I like having the QB situation sorted out now as opposed to going into the NCC game planning to play two guys.

Mugsy

First time I've seen Wheaton in person this year.

Initial impressions:
1. Wheaton's defense is very athletic and could be better than last years unit.
2. Wheaton has absolutely zero identity on offense right now.  I'm not sure what they are trying to establish.  For as much experience they have back from last year, they are really floundering.  I expected to see the OL set the tone, but instead for the second week in a row, they can't seem to establish much of anything.  Is it growing pains with a new OC?  Is it side-affects from trying to figure out who will be the QB, which is clearly now Bowers job?
3. I don't mean this as a slight to Stone Watson and other backup RB's, but there is a HUGE dropoff from Sola Olateju and the next back up.  Sola is much quicker to the hole, much more difficult to bring down (despite not being a big back), and obviously a threat to break any run.  Not to mention I don't hold my breathe that Sola will fumble like some of the other backs.
4. I don't understand why Wheaton doesn't target their stud pre-season All-American TE, Zach Lindquist at least 10 times a game.  At 6'4" 250lbs and athletic, he should be utilized heavily every game.  Find away to get him the ball, especially when you offense is struggling to string together 1st downs to put together ANY consistent drives.  Feed the beast!

I have the feeling Wheaton may have wanted to rest Olateju to fully mend from previous injuries for the game next week in Bloomington, as I don't think he played much if at all in the first half.  I can't confirm it.  But since Wheaton trailed at the half 6-3, it seems Olateju was pressed into action. Olateju received most of the carries in the 2nd half and the Wheaton offense was significantly more effective, even with Wheaton's OLine continuing to sputter.  There was a noticeable difference between runs by Olateju & Watson - IMO.

Elmhurst defense was far better than I was expecting. Quick and disruptive.  I really wish the Wheaton offensive scheme still had some capability to line up and run some power formations.  Wheaton OLine had significant size advantage, but the rushing plays they use don't seem to take advantage of that size.

If Wheaton wants to contend for the conference championship or post season play, they had better start putting together some sort of continuity or establish an identity on offense.  15 points a game isn't going to cut it.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Augie6

Watched all of the Augie/Carthage game online today.  Really disappointing result, as Augie had a great chance to get their first relevant CCIW win in several seasons.  As I mentioned on the CCIW in game updates page, Augie committed 4 unsportsmanlike penalties (3 by players and 1 by an Augie coach) during the game and they were costly.  I know Mugsy and matblake mentioned that maybe Carthage is instigating some of these, based on Wheaton having 3 last week.  If they are and they are having this kind of success with it, I'm sure it will continue.  Either way, it makes it even worse for me if that happened in the Wheaton game and Augie wasn't prepared for it.  However, the most critical one, was not in response to anything Carthage did.  On a 3rd and goal from the 8 yard line with less than 2 minutes left in the game, Augie's CB made a great hit on a short pass, which would have left Carthage with a 4th and goal from the 6 yard line.  Instead of just celebrating with this teammates and getting ready to defend a huge 4th down play, he decided to stand over the receiver and taunt him.  That action should be and is called unsportsmanlike behavior 100% of the time. So instead of 4th and goal from the 6, Carthage had 1st and goal from the 3 and scores to take the lead with less than a minute left.  Augie's defense had dominated the second half of the game, but they imploded on Carthage's last drive.  In addition to this penalty, they also allowed Carthage to convert a 3rd and 16 and a 3rd and 24.  Both conversions came with the Carthage QB rolling to his right, away from pressure, and throwing a pop up, back across his body towards the middle of the field.  In both cases, their wasn't an Augie defender within several yards of either receiver.  I'm not sure how that happens when you are dropping 8 and have a 3 man rush.  Credit to the offense, they were able to quickly move down the field (thanks in part to an unsportsmanlike penalty by Carthage) and get in position for a game tying FG attempt.  Unfortunately, they missed the kick. 

I hope Augie's players (and coaches) learned a valuable lesson today about being disciplined and keeping your composure, at all costs.  It's not like we didn't run into teams that liked to "talk" and would play after the whistle, back when I played.  We knew the best way to respond was to win the game.  We also knew that if we pulled some of the stunts that Augie did today, that we would be standing on the sideline watching the game.  It will be interesting to see how Augie responds next week, after basically giving this game away. 
Augie Football:  CCIW Champions:  1949-66-68-75-81-82-83-84-85-86-87-88-90-91-93-94-97-99-01-05-06     NCAA Champions:  1983-84-85-86

izzy stradlin

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 24, 2016, 05:13:23 PM
Wheaton 10
Elmhurst 6

For the second week in a row Wheaton has to eke out a narrow win, this one a come-from-behind affair in the fourth quarter.

Wheaton's defense looks as good as ever.   Losing 3-6 in the 4th quarter, Wheaton intercepted Elmhurst and handed the ball to the Wheaton offense 25 or so yards out to lead to their only touchdown and a victory.

I heard an Elmhurst coach say after the game that they were shocked and happy to not see Peltz (I am sure they haven't forgotten what Peltz did to them at Langhorst 2 years ago--- apparently the Wheaton coaches have).   

I was at the game but went back and listened to Swider's pregame comments on the broadcast and they just don't make sense. He said the 2nd half last week proved the coaches right about Bowers because he can make plays with his feet (some major confirmation bias going on there!). Mike Swider is an amazing recruiter, motivator and leader but is really showing his faults in understanding offense and quarterbacking (maybe he just misses having Bishop, Hardy, Davis, Sears on his staff). I am convinced right know if Swider had the New England Patriots roster, Julian Edelman (a college quarterback who could make amazing plays with his feet yet completed 55% of his passes) would QB1 and Tom Brady would be on the bench. 

thunderdog

Quote from: Mugsy on September 24, 2016, 06:26:48 PM
First time I've seen Wheaton in person this year.

Initial impressions:
1. Wheaton's defense is very athletic and could be better than last years unit.
2. Wheaton has absolutely zero identity on offense right now.  I'm not sure what they are trying to establish.  For as much experience they have back from last year, they are really floundering.  I expected to see the OL set the tone, but instead for the second week in a row, they can't seem to establish much of anything.  Is it growing pains with a new OC?  Is it side-affects from trying to figure out who will be the QB, which is clearly now Bowers job?
3. I don't mean this as a slight to Stone Watson and other backup RB's, but there is a HUGE dropoff from Sola Olateju and the next back up.  Sola is much quicker to the hole, much more difficult to bring down (despite not being a big back), and obviously a threat to break any run.  Not to mention I don't hold my breathe that Sola will fumble like some of the other backs.
4. I don't understand why Wheaton doesn't target their stud pre-season All-American TE, Zach Lindquist at least 10 times a game.  At 6'4" 250lbs and athletic, he should be utilized heavily every game.  Find away to get him the ball, especially when you offense is struggling to string together 1st downs to put together ANY consistent drives.  Feed the beast!

I have the feeling Wheaton may have wanted to rest Olateju to fully mend from previous injuries for the game next week in Bloomington, as I don't think he played much if at all in the first half.  I can't confirm it.  But since Wheaton trailed at the half 6-3, it seems Olateju was pressed into action. Olateju received most of the carries in the 2nd half and the Wheaton offense was significantly more effective, even with Wheaton's OLine continuing to sputter.  There was a noticeable difference between runs by Olateju & Watson - IMO.

Elmhurst defense was far better than I was expecting. Quick and disruptive.  I really wish the Wheaton offensive scheme still had some capability to line up and run some power formations.  Wheaton OLine had significant size advantage, but the rushing plays they use don't seem to take advantage of that size.

If Wheaton wants to contend for the conference championship or post season play, they had better start putting together some sort of continuity or establish an identity on offense.  15 points a game isn't going to cut it.

After watching Wheaton's offense struggle for the 2nd consecutive week, I feel it necessary to expand on a few of your comments Mugsy. I'm completely baffled by the QB situation right now. Given that AB2 has now started the last 2 in a row, with only a brief cameo from JP11 in the Carthage game, it seems as if AB2 has been designated the starter. As I've stated before, I'm not a fan of any kind of rotation, be it intra-game or inter-game, so part of me is glad to see that a decision has seemingly been made...

...that said, I feel strongly that the wrong decision has been made.

Here are JP11's cumulative career stats:
Passing:  221 of 337    65.6%    2,864 yards    26 TD    9 INT    Yards/Attempt = 8.50    TD/Attempt = .077    INT/Attempt = .027
Rushing:  188 carries    892 yards    12 TD     Yards/carry = 4.75     TD/carry = .064

Here are AB2's cumulative career stats:
Passing:  170 of 292     58.2%    2,538 yards    22 TD    8 INT    Yards/Attempt = 8.69    TD/Attempt = .075    INT/Attempt = .027
Rushing:  157 carries    709 yards     8 TD      Yards/carry = 4.51     TD/carry = .051

Statistically, almost identical outside of the completion %. However, we all know there are many intangibles that go into leading an offense that go beyond the stats. This is where, IMO, Johnny Peltz separates himself. The offense just has a different feel when he's leading it. During his career, the offense has yet to have a 2 game stagnant stretch like we've seen these last 2 weeks. Am I pinning this all on AB2? Absolutely not... There is plenty of "looking oneself in the mirror" that needs to happen with the O-line, the soft running from the RB's behind Sola, and WR's failing to get open. I guess I just don't see what JP11 has done to lose the job outside of battling injuries in 2015. Let's not forget what Johnny did in 2014 in just his 2nd ever start against NCC. From 2006 to 2013, NCC absolutely painted the CCIW red with 8 straight CCIW titles (yes some were shared) and 7 playoff appearances. Oh and there's the fact that in the previous year, NCC made a semi-final appearance against... ahem... Mt Union... a game in which NCC held a 40-35 lead with only 1:38 left in the game. NCC's program was on the verge of going nuclear coming into the 2014 season... so if ever there was a signature win for a program, it was this game. Johnny was a HUGE part of that game. A game that set the tone for the current 25 regular season game (& 17 CCIW game) winning streaks. It's time to go back to your SENIOR CAPTAIN.

Not that this is news to anyone, but if Wheaton gets another lackluster performance by the offense next week down in Bloomington, it will be a long, long, long bus ride home.

matblake

As I sat watching the game online each series I kept waiting for Peltz to head out there.  And he remained on the sideline.  I just didn't understand.  I just wonder if he is injured in some way. It's disappointing to me, but sometimes as a fan you just have to trust what's going on at practice and behind closed doors. That doesn't mean it's not frustrating as a fan though.

That said, Wheaton's offensive line looks so slow.  Not being able to get to or maintain the reach blocks killed them all day.  Kudos to Elmhurst for using their motors on defense.  They seemed to keep coming and coming.  It almost appeared that the Wheaton offense expected them to quit on their own instead of executing consistently which generally forces the defense to quit.

We'll see what happens against IWU.  NCC is looking more formidable each week.

Expect Wheaton to fall in the polls.  I'm thinking they'll be in the 12-15 range.

Kovo

Quote from: matblake on September 25, 2016, 08:41:35 AM
As I sat watching the game online each series I kept waiting for Peltz to head out there.  And he remained on the sideline.  I just didn't understand.  I just wonder if he is injured in some way. It's disappointing to me, but sometimes as a fan you just have to trust what's going on at practice and behind closed doors. That doesn't mean it's not frustrating as a fan though.

That said, Wheaton's offensive line looks so slow.  Not being able to get to or maintain the reach blocks killed them all day.  Kudos to Elmhurst for using their motors on defense.  They seemed to keep coming and coming.  It almost appeared that the Wheaton offense expected them to quit on their own instead of executing consistently which generally forces the defense to quit.

Expect Wheaton to fall in the polls.  I'm thinking they'll be in the 12-15 range.

WOW!  Wheaton must be the most miserable 4-0 Top 10 team in the country. 

I got news for you guys---the Crusaders are good, real good and 10-0 or 9-1 is a real possibility.  BUT, you can't always smash and humiliate your opponent.  Sometimes you just have t enjoy the win.  ;D

matblake

Quote from: Kovo on September 25, 2016, 09:55:13 AM
Quote from: matblake on September 25, 2016, 08:41:35 AM

WOW!  Wheaton must be the most miserable 4-0 Top 10 team in the country. 

I got news for you guys---the Crusaders are good, real good and 10-0 or 9-1 is a real possibility.  BUT, you can't always smash and humiliate your opponent.  Sometimes you just have t enjoy the win.  ;D

Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic they are 4-0, I just believe they are better than they have shown. Like Coach Swider always says, a win is a win. I don't think Wheaton should humiliate every opponent, but I do think they need to play better to compete with North Central. Wheaton is an outstanding team and would compete for a conference title in nearly every other conference in the country. I just want them to be the best they can be. I'm sure the staff and the players are doing all they can on the field and off to make that happen. Also, the last few years we have been spoiled. I'm confident this will get worked out.

ncc_fan

The pessimist in me says Swider is keeping Peltz and the real Wheaton offense under wraps until the Bell game.      :-\