MBB: Upper Midwest Athletic Conference

Started by bethelguy, October 04, 2004, 02:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Palmer

Quote from: d3bballfollower on November 27, 2007, 09:13:07 AM
even? i don't think so...the past couple of years the UMAC has done the following against the MIAC (according to records on D3Hoops.com)

06/07- 5-13
05/06- 5-13

AO- do you think that 10-26 is about even?  I sure hope not...outside of NWC who is I believe 6-0 or 7-0 over the MIAC the last 2 years the rest of the conference has been terrible...

D3BO – today must be my day asking for help.  You said you found the inter-conference league stats between the UMAC & the MIAC somewhere else on the D3hoops site.  Did you just go to the UMAC league page on D3Hoops & manually tally the results, or did they have them listed in conference by conference comparison?  Thanks.

On another note, I watched the Augsburg & NW matchup several weeks ago.  The Dawgs are struggling right now, and as much as I hate to admit this, NW has got a lot to do with it.  I've watched Northwestern play the last 2-3 years and they could be an upper division team in the MIAC.  They're that good.

Defensively, NW is difficult to guard as they do a really good job in their offense of moving the ball around.  If you try to cheat too much on Daniel Hanson or Anderstrom, one of the other players will make you pay.

The Dawgs are also struggling with their outside shot right now, & I think they're blindly shooting treys at about the 12-13% mark.  Also, soph PG Jon Cassens seems to be struggling running the offense this early part of the season.  A ton of TOs & not from defensve pressure, but trying to make big plays when they're not available.  However, I do think Cassens & Augsburg are too good to struggle all season long.  Although starting out league play with a resurgent Carleton & Gustavus is probably not the way you want to open the conference portion of the schedule.
"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

d3bballfollower

Drake- I looked them up and tallied them manually...I think I got them all...unfortunately I couldn't go back further than 2 years because some teams don't have records dating back that far...

NWC could definitely be a top tier MIAC team...this year they are as good as anyone in the MIAC, and maybe the best D3 team in Minnesota...but unfortunately we will never get to see them play Bethel or UST or other perrennial MIAC powerhouses...
"A true champion is someone bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is looking."

Matt Carroll

UMM took Mayville State all the way to the wire tonight, losing by 3.  UMM is for real, they have some talented kids who can put some points on the board.  The boxscore says that Morris was up most of the game, but they couldn't close it out.  Here is the boxscore:

notables - Phil Allen 17 points,  Will Jensen 15 points 9 rebounds, Eric Dalbey 9 points and 9 rebounds...

http://www.morris.umn.edu/athletics/mens/basketball/stats/MBB07-08/HTML/MBKMAYMM.HTM

AO

Quote from: d3bballfollower on November 27, 2007, 11:25:43 PM
Drake- I looked them up and tallied them manually...I think I got them all...unfortunately I couldn't go back further than 2 years because some teams don't have records dating back that far...

NWC could definitely be a top tier MIAC team...this year they are as good as anyone in the MIAC, and maybe the best D3 team in Minnesota...but unfortunately we will never get to see them play Bethel or UST or other perrennial MIAC powerhouses...
The UMAC website lists most of the scores back to 02-03.

Drake Palmer

...NWC could definitely be a top tier MIAC team...this year they are as good as anyone in the MIAC, and maybe the best D3 team in Minnesota...

whoa, whoa , whoa, I wouldn't go quite that far.  ::) ;D
"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

AO

Quote from: Drake Palmer on November 28, 2007, 08:27:18 AM
...NWC could definitely be a top tier MIAC team...this year they are as good as anyone in the MIAC, and maybe the best D3 team in Minnesota...

whoa, whoa , whoa, I wouldn't go quite that far.  ::) ;D
When 5th place in UMAC Morris beats Bethel, No win Crown nearly does the same thing, 3rd place Bethany beats Gustavus and perennial 1st place Northwestern hasn't lost to a MIAC opponent in 3 years, it's pretty easy to make the case that Northwestern is maybe the best D3 in MN.  However, it comes down to just being a squabble on a message board as NWC isn't playoff eligible for another couple seasons.--

d3bballfollower

Crown beats Providence tonight 84-57...no box score yet
"A true champion is someone bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is looking."

d3bballfollower

Northland gets shalacked by UMD 74-41...the Jacks get 13 from Cannata and 9 from Arneson

d3bballfollower

Morris loses a heartbreaker on the road to now 6-2 Jamestown College 99-96...no box score yet

looks like Morris has had no trouble putting the ball in the basket averaging 82.5 ppg through their first 5 games (2-3)...but they have also had trouble defending, giving up an average of 85.8 ppg...

to Morris' credit they have played some good teams that can shoot the rock (SJU, Bethel and Jamestown)...probably the only teams in the UMAC that could run with the Cougs on a good shooting night are NWC and Bethany Lutheran...

UMM has a very tough non-conference schedule left...they host Jamestown in a rematch on Saturday, then are off for a week before opening up UMAC play at Presentation on the 8th, followed by a return game hosting the Johnnies on the 12th before ending the fall break on the road at Crookston on the 14th...after the break they host North Central on Jan. 5th, and then hit the road to end non-conference play by taking on current 7-1 Valley City State who disposed of Presentation 77-58 on Tuesday...they are also at North Central on Feb. 4th

I was higher on Presentation in the preseason, and even though I'm not giving up on them yet...I am leaning towards slotting Morris in at the #3 spot in the UMAC and possibly the #2 spot depending upon how Bethany plays...

Matt Carroll

Quote from: d3bballfollower on November 29, 2007, 11:33:37 PM
Morris loses a heartbreaker on the road to now 6-2 Jamestown College 99-96...no box score yet

looks like Morris has had no trouble putting the ball in the basket averaging 82.5 ppg through their first 5 games (2-3)...but they have also had trouble defending, giving up an average of 85.8 ppg...

to Morris' credit they have played some good teams that can shoot the rock (SJU, Bethel and Jamestown)...probably the only teams in the UMAC that could run with the Cougs on a good shooting night are NWC and Bethany Lutheran...

UMM has a very t

ough non-conference schedule left...they host Jamestown in a rematch on Saturday, then are off for a week before opening up UMAC play at Presentation on the 8th, followed by a return game hosting the Johnnies on the 12th before ending the fall break on the road at Crookston on the 14th...after the break they host North Central on Jan. 5th, and then hit the road to end non-conference play by taking on current 7-1 Valley City State who disposed of Presentation 77-58 on Tuesday...they are also at North Central on Feb. 4th

I was higher on Presentation in the preseason, and even though I'm not giving up on them yet...I am leaning towards slotting Morris in at the #3 spot in the UMAC and possibly the #2 spot depending upon how Bethany plays...

Man I just saw that on the UMM page, no box score up yet.  What is up with Morris not being able to close out these NAIA schools.  Jamestown came out of the pre-season rankings # 8 in the nation and Mayville State was on the others receiving votes.  Here is the link:

http://naia.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl-div2/spec-rel/103107aab.html

I was trying to be nosy so I went on to Jamestown's page to find the box score, no luck but I did find out that Jamestown beat NWC by 9 (I think).  I really think that UMM is going to battle for the top spot with NWC.  They could very easily be 4-1 rather than 2-3 against all SOLID MIAC or NAIA schools. 

d3bballfollower

NWC gets clipped this afternoon by Davenport at the Judson tourney...22 for Anderstrom and 18 for Daniel Hanson...Steve Hanson added 9 and 6 boards

d3bballfollower

forgot the score...oops!

Davenport 75 NWC 74

Matt Carroll

UMM beats Jamestown in overtime tonight, Allen has 28 points and Fragodt chips in 14 in the win.  As I said before JC was ranked #9  NAIA D2 in the nation. 

Hoopology101

Crown beats Trinity @ Trinity 87 to 68.  Crown was down by 11 points in the second half and then took the lead they was up by 29 at one point. Isaac H lead the team on the comeback with 19 points 7 rebounds and 4 assist.  I heard Steve H the other guard was in early foul trouble but also provided 18 points and 13 rebounds all in the 2nd half.  Crown host NW next saturday, I'm going to just say it, I'm expecting an upset!!! yes I said it we will just see , this is why they play the game!  I must say Morris is sounding really scarey right now with their tough scedule and scoring a lot of points.  I think the UMAC is a really good league this year all around.
Players are made during the off season, and teams are formed in the winter by the coaches.

AO

Quote from: Hoopology101 on December 02, 2007, 02:48:55 PM
Crown beats Trinity @ Trinity 87 to 68.  Crown was down by 11 points in the second half and then took the lead they was up by 29 at one point. Isaac H lead the team on the comeback with 19 points 7 rebounds and 4 assist.  I heard Steve H the other guard was in early foul trouble but also provided 18 points and 13 rebounds all in the 2nd half.  Crown host NW next saturday, I'm going to just say it, I'm expecting an upset!!! yes I said it we will just see , this is why they play the game!  I must say Morris is sounding really scarey right now with their tough scedule and scoring a lot of points.  I think the UMAC is a really good league this year all around.
You do know that the Trinity they beat was Trinity Bible, correct?  If Crown gets hot from outside, sure anything can happen, but this is the same team that won zero UMAC games last year plus Harris.  It would be fun to see Crown get a little more competitive in the league this year.