MBB: Upper Midwest Athletic Conference

Started by bethelguy, October 04, 2004, 02:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3bballfollower

AO-  you keep citing the fact that Crown won zero games last year...granted, I would like to see them beat a Bethel or someone a little better than Trinity, but a W is a W that they might not have gotten last year...a couple years ago there was a school out of Buffalo, NY named Medaille...in the 04-05 campaign they were 0-25 (worse than Crown last year) but last year they were up to 11 wins...what happend last year happened last year...it's a fact to note, but not something that you can put all your marbles into one basket on...players and teams improve, and a guy of Harris' caliber can definitely help a mediocre team win 2-3 more games than they might otherwise....will they beat NWC??? doubtful, but it would be nice to see references from this year as to why they won't be NWC like for instance the fact that they were down by 11early in the second half to a mediocre Trinity team before getting Trinity's top guys into foul trouble and hitting like they were shooting everything into the ocean...
"A true champion is someone bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is looking."

Matt Carroll

I have not seen any UMAC teams play yet this year, but here is how I see it shaking out now after seeing some box scores:

1) Northwestern - Too much fire power Discher, Hanson Bros, Strelecki, and Anderstrom.
2) UM-Morris - Allen, Dalbey, and Jensen are going to be tough for any team to stop.
3) Scholastica - Athletic talented team (Zubke and Schmitz) but may not be disciplined enough to beat a Morris or NWC.
4) Bethany Lutheran - Sure Wills is tough, but who else to they honestly have?  Priem and Saffert?
5) Presentation College - They have a lot of players back (from what I have heard), hopefully they can get some UMAC W's.
6) MLC - Nass and Schwartz form a nice duo, but they do not have much after that.
7) Northland College - Aarneson can score, but that is all they really have.
8)Crown College - I could see them winning a few conference games and batteling for 6-7 but for now here is where they belong.

d3bballfollower

I agree with most of your picks Matt...but I would switch Bethany and Scholastica...Wills and Saffert are tough...
"A true champion is someone bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is looking."

Hoopology101

People forget that Presentation only beat Trinity bible by 10 points at home! Trinity had the lead by 4 with 2 mins to go and then the refs started calling things and put presentation on the line!  By the looks of that anything can happen this year.  Thats why we play the game! I'm calling Crown beats NW!! Get Your Popcorn Ready @ Crown 5pm
Players are made during the off season, and teams are formed in the winter by the coaches.

Matt Carroll

Quote from: Hoopology101 on December 03, 2007, 11:56:41 PM
People forget that Presentation only beat Trinity bible by 10 points at home! Trinity had the lead by 4 with 2 mins to go and then the refs started calling things and put presentation on the line!  By the looks of that anything can happen this year.  Thats why we play the game! I'm calling Crown beats NW!! Get Your Popcorn Ready @ Crown 5pm

If you put stock into that then you could also say that NWC lost to Jamestown by 10 or whatever and Morris beat Jamestown, so.....is Morris better?  No. 

Hoopology101

Lets get things straight, first Morris split with Jamestown, I'm pretty sure if NWC played two games with Jamestown then they would also split.  2nd Morris is playing good basketball right now and seem to be the most dominant team in the conf so far! (notice I said so far) All I'm saying is that everyone should not get so caught up in the rankings and last years stats and last years record.  No one cares what you did last year, last month or last week, all that matters is the present.  And that is why I say we never know what will happen ( Thats why they play the game!)  I just feel that any team in the UMAC can be beat at anytime by a team in the UMAC this year is going to be a good and exciting season.

So is anyone going to goto any UMAC game this saturday?  They start this weekend.
Players are made during the off season, and teams are formed in the winter by the coaches.

d3bballfollower

conference play begins today...I've got

Morris beating Presentation, at PC
NWC beating Crown, at Crown
Bethany Lutheran over Martin Luther at home
Scholastica over Northland, at Northland

good luck everyone!

d3bballfollower

while looking at rosters I noticed that Perry Blanks-Neal is no longer listed on the Crown roster...he scored in double figures in their first 2 games in Chicago, but hadn't played since...and he isn't in their team picture on the Web site...does anyone have any info on this situation?

Hoopology101

D3baller the update on that Perry guy is that he could not cut it in school and had horrible grades so the coaching staff sent him home.  Rumor has it that they have another post player ready to go second semester, but you never know how true that is.  But we will see.

Hoopology101

Update on Crown game  NWC won 74 to 62, it was a good game.   It really could have been an 8 point game or so but free throws at the end pushed the score up.  D Hansen had 15 points and 10 boards.  Crown was in the game but just got out boarded like 50 to 22 so that hurt them alot!  But I have to say it was a tough night for the Harris kid it was not the D he just missed some shots but he had 26 points but shot poor from the field and Isaac H had 15 points, NWC played good D on the rest of the guys and early foul trouble played a huge factor for Crown.  Hey at the end NWC is a very good team and they got the Win! thats all that matters.  But I also have to say with Harris, and Issac the cronf better look out! Will see how things play out after the break.

Does anyone have any updates on the other games?

formerUMACplayer

Hey Hoops,
I was at the Crown and NWC game, and NWC basically won the game on the boards and from the foul line (30 free throw attempts to Crown's 11)...Up front NWC was just too much for Crown...I must admit that the backcourt of Harris and Hale might be the best in the UMAC (they had their way against NWC guards and that is difficult to do)...but with no help from the others they will struggle again this season (especially aganist teams with solid post play)...Where did the kid Harris come from? Hale has improved his jumpshot and overall game all together he looked very solid running the show for the Storm...But once again the balanced attack that NWC has is just way too much for the UMAC conference...maybe they should consider the MIAC? They have at least 3-5 players who should make all-conference and the player of the year in Dan Hanson
Quote from: Hoopology101 on December 08, 2007, 08:17:58 PM
Update on Crown game  NWC won 74 to 62, it was a good game.   It really could have been an 8 point game or so but free throws at the end pushed the score up.  D Hansen had 15 points and 10 boards.  Crown was in the game but just got out boarded like 50 to 22 so that hurt them alot!  But I have to say it was a tough night for the Harris kid it was not the D he just missed some shots but he had 26 points but shot poor from the field and Isaac H had 15 points, NWC played good D on the rest of the guys and early foul trouble played a huge factor for Crown.  Hey at the end NWC is a very good team and they got the Win! thats all that matters.  But I also have to say with Harris, and Issac the cronf better look out! Will see how things play out after the break.

Does anyone have any updates on the other games?

Hoopology101

FormerUmac, I like your observation you brought up some good facts.  But I have to say to say NWC would be good in the miac is jumping the gun.  I mean this year they would be very good in that conf but people for get next year they loose their whole starting 5 and the guys on the bench are going to have to grow together just like the group they have now.  But it will take a while for them to jell like the group they have now.  The only player back will be lil Hanson and he will need a lot of help next year. 

d3bballfollower

Morris takes down PC in Aberdeen 76-61...Will Jensen with 26 and 15...if Morris continues to board as well as they have they could definitely cause problems for NWC

Matt Carroll

Quote from: d3bballfollower on December 09, 2007, 04:39:06 AM
Morris takes down PC in Aberdeen 76-61...Will Jensen with 26 and 15...if Morris continues to board as well as they have they could definitely cause problems for NWC

Beat me too it.  Allen chipped in with 20 points.  Scholastica over Northland by 9, Zubke 17 pts and 7 rebounds and Aarneson also had 17 I think.  Anybody have the score for the MLC/Bethany game? 

formerUMACplayer

Bethany Lutheran 66 and Martin Luther 62...Bethany shot 35% for the game but they attempted 27 free throws to Martin Luther's 12...Rosin 19points 7boards and Wills chipped in 12 for Bethany...Luther was lead by Nass with 14 and Holzhueter with 12...So it looks like NWC, Morris and Scholastica are the top three teams with the fourth spot open...but more than likely it will be Bethany or Martin Luther

Quote from: Matt Carroll on December 09, 2007, 02:31:25 PM
Quote from: d3bballfollower on December 09, 2007, 04:39:06 AM

Beat me too it.  Allen chipped in with 20 points.  Scholastica over Northland by 9, Zubke 17 pts and 7 rebounds and Aarneson also had 17 I think.  Anybody have the score for the MLC/Bethany game?