WBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 14, 2005, 05:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottiedoug

Wash U. gave Thomas More a serious game.  They looked pretty good.  TMC got most of its 88 points from three players.

If you are Maryville, or Guilford or Lynchburg, do you want to play these teams during the season?  Building a credible schedule is important and so is playing really good competition, but losing a bunch is a bummer!

For what it is worth, here is the link to the Maryville paper's story about MC and TMC, including the coach's comments about TMC.   http://www.thedailytimes.com/sports/defending-champions-knock-out-mc-women-in-sweet/article_006f24bb-e505-538a-81bb-e34f3eb970b1.html

y_jack_lok

^^^ Yes, a good game. Abby Owings for TMC was unconscious from 3 in the 4th quarter to keep Wah U from having a chance with Moss on the bench with four fouls. Probably time to end this conversation since there are no ODAC teams involved. Enjoyed sharing posts with you.

scottiedoug

I am ok with ending this but I am curious what you and others think of my earlier question, which does involve ODAC (and USASouth):

If you are Maryville, or Guilford or Lynchburg, do you want to play these teams (Wash U, Thomas More,...) during the season?  Building a credible schedule is important and so is playing really good competition, but losing a bunch is a bummer!

y_jack_lok

Quote from: scottiedoug on March 13, 2016, 02:15:15 PM
I am ok with ending this but I am curious what you and others think of my earlier question, which does involve ODAC (and USASouth):

If you are Maryville, or Guilford or Lynchburg, do you want to play these teams (Wash U, Thomas More,...) during the season?  Building a credible schedule is important and so is playing really good competition, but losing a bunch is a bummer!

Always a good idea to schedule strong competition in non-conference play. I think you have to assess what your expectations are for your team as you schedule for the next season and choose appropriately challenging competition that is also geographically viable. Thomas More is reachable for most ODAC schools so if an ODAC coach thinks they have a strong enough team going into next season I don't see why not. To schedule Wash U you'd have to meet somewhere in the middle at a neutral site "classic" unless an ODAC school wants to travel to Saint Louis for the tournament Wash U hosts every year which would get them two games, but not necessarily one against Wash U. They'd either have to be paired against Wash U in the opening round or have the same result (win or loss) as Wash U in the opening round to play them. I guess that's two chances out of three, so maybe worth it.

y_jack_lok

Congrats to the six ODAC players who made one of the three All-South Region teams: http://www.rmcathletics.com/sports/wbkb/2015-16/releases/20160314lnh640

y_jack_lok

R-MC '16-'17 roster: http://rmcathletics.com/sports/wbkb/2016-17/roster. Six freshmen, two 6'+, to go with eight returning.

ronk

Quote from: y_jack_lok on October 28, 2016, 04:58:37 PM
R-MC '16-'17 roster: http://rmcathletics.com/sports/wbkb/2016-17/roster. Six freshmen, two 6'+, to go with eight returning.

Have seen Ariona Johnson play; she'll be a factor.

flightless bird fan

hasanova

Guilford (7-0) receiving votes (43 points) in Top 25 voting ... not in the Top 25 yet, but on the periphery and moving up at 27th.

hasanova

Nice article by Brian Lester in ATR about Guilford's Anais Weatherly.  I've seen her play and any kudos she receives are richly deserved.  Hope you'll take the time to check her out when she's at home or on the road.

hasanova

Guilford (13-2) took a 1/2 game lead in the ODAC with last night's win at Randolph.  LC (12-2) and EMU (12-3) right on their heels.  EMU played last night and LC tonight. Regular season ends on Saturday. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Ran out of time today to get this out before the show started, but taking care if it now while I have the opportunity (during the show).

The time is now. Teams who want or think they should be playing in March need to get the job done now. This week all conferences, except the UAA, will dive into conference tournaments to determine who will win an automatic bid to the NCAA Championship Tournament. For those who can't win the AQ, then they have to make sure to present the best resume possible to the national committees and that means taking care of business the best they can.

Who is in and who is out? We will figure that out over the course of next week and on next week's Hoopsville Special. In the meantime on tonight's Hoopsville, Dave McHugh talks to a few teams who are looking to position themselves to be in the conversation. We also preview many of the conference races and look at who may already be in trouble when it comes to playing basketball in March.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio starting LIVE at 7:00 PM ET. You can watch the show in the video player above or via the simulcast on Facebook Live. If you missed the show, you can catch up On Demand in the video player or listen to the podcasts located to the right (available after the show is off the air).

A reminder the Sunday edition of Hoopsville primarily covers the Northeast, Atlantic, South, and Central regions, but we will answer any questions about all of Division III throughout the show. You can also send your questions to the show and have them featured on the Hoopsville Mailbag segment. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com.

And please consider helping Hoopsville stay on the air like you might help your public television station. The annual fundraising campaign has less than three weeks remaining, but we are no where close to reaching our goal. Click here for more information:  Hoopsville Fundraising Page

Guests scheduled (in order of appearance):
- Mia Smith, Illinois Wesleyan women's coach
- Stan Bonewitz, Concordia (Texas) men's coach
- Matt Ducharme, Mass-Dartmouth women's coach
- Andrea Kendall, Randolph women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Tim McDonald, Cabrini men's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Fundraiser: https://igg.me/at/hoopsville-fundraiser-2017

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hasanova

The Guilford Quakers (24-3) host the CAC's Marymount Saints (22-5) at 7:30 pm Friday.  The MACC's Albright Lions (22-5) face the USAC's  Piedmont Lions (21-7) at 5 pm.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It is nearly time to tip up the ball on the NCAA Division III Basketball Tournaments. Who will end up in Grand Rapids and Salem with a chance at a national title?

On Thursday's nights Hoopsville, Dave McHugh gives his preview of the two tournaments and who may be the surprises, who can pull off an upset, who are the favorites to make a run, and who just might walk away with the walnut and bronze.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs LIVE starting at 7:00 PM ET from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/mar2 --- or via the simulcast on Facebook Live. If you miss the show live, you can watch it On Demand or listen to the podcasts.

The show is jammed packed with guests, but Dave will also have time for your questions. Make sure to email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com. You can also tweet them to us.

And please consider helping Hoopsville stay on the air like you might help your public television station. The annual fundraising campaign was extended a few days because we had only raised 52% of our goal. Click the following link for more information and to make a donation: Hoopsville Fundraising Page

Guests scheduled (in order of appearance):
- Carl Danzig, Scranton men's coach
- Abby Pyzik Smith, Lynchburg women's coach
- Brad Fischer, No. 13 UW-Oshkosh women's coach
- Michael Blaine, Medialle men's coach
- Jeff Brown, No. 6 Middlbury men's coach
- Cameron Hill, No. 7 Trinity (Texas) women's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Fundraiser: https://igg.me/at/hoopsville-fundraiser-2017

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.