WBB: NESCAC

Started by Senator Frost, March 12, 2005, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senator Frost

Who then should have been chosen, if not Wesleyan?

Gordon "Marco Scutaro" Mann

Nancy:

While we didn't project Wesleyan in the tournament, I think they represented themselves well enough.

They beat Chestnut Hill and CSI, which most C teams probably would have.  But they played a talented Springfield team down to the wire.

The Pride are much better than that 21-point blowout to Wes in December.

Nancy Abromowitz

Gordo

I am a big UAA fan, Brandeis or NYU is better then Wesleyan

Senator Frost

Didn't Deis "Spit the bit" v Emory and Wash U by 30 at Deis? A talented team that sometimes isn't 'in the mood?' (Hmm, where have I heard that before???)
 Isn't "Spit the Bit" pretty similar to "Off with their heads?"

yellstoomuch

Let Brandeis beat Emmanuel like Wesleyan did by 18, and then we can talk.

Dr.Fager

Just returned from Scranton. Probably will need two posts with some time in between to get my thoughts together.  
Bowdoin didn't lose, but Scranton won. Both teams brought their defenisve teams to the arena last night and the game was up for grabs until the last minute of play. To paraphrase that coach at U.Conn.,  Scranton had Mellody and Bowdoin didn't. Taryn Mellody was WILLING and ABLE to take the outside shot. She can elevate and even though Bowdoin was often in her face,  was able to knock down the game winner.
Bowdoin led by Justine P.'s defense limited Scranton to 8 buckets from the floor other those scored by Mellody. The Bowdoin coach changed their pattern of pressing and the Scranton team had trouble all night bringing the ball up court, but finally the tune was Mellody and Bowdoin couldn't answer on the offensive end.
The game felt like the D3 Championship game but I won't go that far as it would be unfair to the other three teams that will meet in Virginia.

Allen M. Karon

Dr. Fager--

That final sentence in your last post rings with a lot of truth.  I do not believe that I have seen a field in the DIII Women's Final Four like I have seen this year.  I can honestly say that the best four teams in DIII women's basketball right now are in this Final Four.  Usually, because of geography, one does not get these types of match-ups like the people at Virginia Wesleyan will see this weekend, but when the 4 teams in the DIII Final Four are also in the Top 10 in both the D3Hoops.com and the WBCA polls respectively, I can safely say that there will be a lot of exciting moments next weekend.  Honestly, I cannot predict with certainty who will win the national championship next weekend, but the survivor next weekend will be a highly deserving national champion.

(Message edited by deiscanton on March 13, 2005)

Senator Frost

The best four teams????? Bates was denied a home
game based on what??? Their gym is too old??? These folks at the NCAA assigned to D3 would appear to have delusions of Grandeur. I assume the Bates gym has a regulation floor and regulation baskets. If that's the case then the game should have been held there.

Steve

Sen. Frost-there's also the issue of seating and hotel space. The honest truth is that it is easier to find hotels in Portland than Lewiston, and USM can hold a lot more people than Bates.

Plus, the isn't the only example of a number 1 seed being shipped out.  Millikin had to play at No. 7 Calvin. It's a 40 minute drive from Bates to USM; it's more than 5 and a half hours from Millikin to Calvin. I didn't hear them complaining, they just went out and won the sectional.

Senator Frost

The honest truth?? What are you talking about???????? Lewiston and Auburn, it's sister city have well over 50,000 people. PLENTY of Hotel space-No case there.
More seating-Yes you are right but why should the better team be penalized? I mean it's not like there is a ton of $$$$$$$ at stake here. How many more seats? (after both sides inflate)
 Millikin? Who cares about Millikin? Isn't that a Red State anyway? Bates isn't complaining. I was merely responding to the post about the so called  "best four". That's all.  
 This seating thing takes it away from those who deserve it and gives it to those with a few more seats-(By George, that's America!!)  
As I said, Delusions of Grandeur

Senator Frost

Maybe Illinois was a Blue-I can't recall.

Steve

Illinois was blue, but that couldn't be further from the point.  USM has hosted a national championship before, clearly they consider it a much more worthy site than Bates.  Also, I don't think they always make the decision based on who is the higher seed, but which is easier to accomadate four teams.

I grew up in Maine, and let's be honest Gorham/Portland is much nicer than Lewiston/Auburn.

Pat Coleman

Millikin was already hosting high school playoffs and could not host the sectional this past weekend.

Bates' gymnasium, I believe, was considered too small. This isn't about making money, however, as much as it is about letting as many fans as possible see the game. You don't want to turn half your fans away.

Roy Alexander

Hello NESCAC posters; I typically post in the MAC section and am a big Scranton fan. I just felt compelled to write on this page and express my thoughts from the Bowdoin-Scranton game. Although I am extremely happy with the outcome I was very impressed with the Bowdoin team. Forget the talent--you either have it or you do not, I was more impressed with the class that the Bowdoin team showed. It was a very verbal\raucous crowd and not one of the Polar Bears seemed affected. Often times when fouls are called players glare at the refs and\or argue calls, I was amazed at the composure that your ladies showed throughout. They are a classy bunch of ladies. And about the talent, yes they have that as well, Scranton was just a bit better that's all.

pinna

I can't believe people are dissin' the smelly 'Scoggin.  Nothin' like it as you enter Lewiston from Auburn.  As a Batesie, it's disappointing Alumni Gym cost the Lady Bobcats being the host team.  However, I can completely understand the decision.  Too bad they didn't get shipped out of Maine like Bowdoin.  No history between Bates and Scranton... I think they win that game.  Bates embarassed USM early.  This was a classic "payback" game.  Fact is, any of the top seven or so teams appears able to beat another at any given time.  'Lot of parity.  Bates' alumni letter talked a great deal about renovations to the campus, primarily in housing and eating facilities.  With both basketball programs being on the map now, maybe it's time to consider putting money into the athletic facilities (what a concept!).