FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaintsFAN

He'd look really good barnstorming the country with Thomas More in 2018 for their 7 road games.  Perhaps a potential move to D2 would entice him?? 

The Saints need a QB but return loads of talent everywhere else. 

And they play AT Saint Johns and AT Huntington while they have home games against UW-Platteville and Muhlenberg. 

I'm just day-dreaming here... give me a moment.
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

jamtod

Quote from: SaintsFAN on March 01, 2018, 02:53:00 PM
He'd look really good barnstorming the country with Thomas More in 2018 for their 7 road games.  Perhaps a potential move to D2 would entice him?? 

And they play AT Saint Johns and AT Huntington while they have home games against UW-Platteville and Muhlenberg. 

I'm already tempted to put that Thomas More vs SJU game on my schedule and make the trek up to Clemens. That would just about seal the deal for me if both teams were competitive to that point.

emma17

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 01, 2018, 10:39:14 AM
Who should they play, then?

This is the question I wish Merle would answer.

Merle, I completely understand your point regarding sos, but scheduling games isn't just about protecting sos.
The programs also have a responsibility to the players to get 10 games on the schedule.
Maybe the answer to this question isn't universal- Would you rather not play a game at all or play VA-Lynchburg?
Merle, would you still bash UWW for playing a faith school as long as their sos took a hit?

Desertraider

On scheduling...for Mount, UWWW, UMHB, UWO and a few others....SOS is out the window. It's more about who has an opening on the same Saturday and (most importantly IMHO) - who says "sure, we'll sign on for the stomping". No offense but even in D3 coaches want/need to win. I suspect many would ask themselves "what is our team going to get out of a 63-0, 18 punt, 6 TO, other guys 3rds in by halftime, type of a game - that we have to repeat the following year?".

My .02 cents.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

JCUStreaks70

Quote from: desertraider on March 01, 2018, 05:06:27 PM
On scheduling...for Mount, UWWW, UMHB, UWO and a few others....SOS is out the window. It's more about who has an opening on the same Saturday and (most importantly IMHO) - who says "sure, we'll sign on for the stomping". No offense but even in D3 coaches want/need to win. I suspect many would ask themselves "what is our team going to get out of a 63-0, 18 punt, 6 TO, other guys 3rds in by halftime, type of a game - that we have to repeat the following year?".

My .02 cents.

I think your two cents are valid....

It's the unfortunate truth of DIII Football. Unlike in DI where the Power 5 teams can offer any average program a boatload of money to take a beating, AD's at this level have to do whatever they can to get their team 10 games.
AMDG

2016 OAC CHAMPS! AND MY OWN SELF-PROCLAIMED RUNNERS-UP TO THE RUNNERS-UP.

jamtod

Quote from: JCUStreaks70 on March 01, 2018, 05:27:50 PM

My .02 cents.

It's the unfortunate truth of DIII Football. Unlike in DI where the Power 5 teams can offer any average program a boatload of money to take a beating, AD's at this level have to do whatever they can to get their team 10 games.

Unless you are St John's, which can offer a D3-sized boat of money, apparently.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jamtoTommie on March 01, 2018, 05:36:19 PM
Quote from: JCUStreaks70 on March 01, 2018, 05:27:50 PM

My .02 cents.

Unless you are St John's, which can offer a D3-sized boat of money, apparently.

Whitewater also.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

pradierguy

Back to Poorman for a minute. For how (overly) his Dad appears to be involved, I find it really hard to believe they would make such a decision without the next stop already locked in. Are there rules or timing considerations as to when they'll announce where he's headed?

wally_wabash

Does Larry get his plane ticket refunded?
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

WRMUalum13

Quote from: wally_wabash on March 01, 2018, 06:36:48 PM

Lols, call back comment of the off season +k

Craft_Beermeister

Quote from: wally_wabash on March 01, 2018, 06:36:48 PM

Larry is concentrating on his son-in-laws health.

merlecanlas

Quote from: emma17 on March 01, 2018, 04:00:14 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 01, 2018, 10:39:14 AM
Who should they play, then?

This is the question I wish Merle would answer.

Merle, I completely understand your point regarding sos, but scheduling games isn't just about protecting sos.
The programs also have a responsibility to the players to get 10 games on the schedule.
Maybe the answer to this question isn't universal- Would you rather not play a game at all or play VA-Lynchburg?
Merle, would you still bash UWW for playing a faith school as long as their sos took a hit?

are you asking who I think College of Faith or Middle Georgia should play?  I would say that they play any random men's league football squad or any group of 25 guys with helmets.  Tons of schools have club football teams.

who should UWW, UWO, etc play?  I don't know.  I would start with an NCAA team.  I'm not paid a healthy salary to schedule football games.  I can't imagine alums and fans are stoked with seeing a club football team on any NCAA schedule.  I remember WIAC teams playing other WIAC teams in "non-conference" games not that long ago.   Get creative.  We are a step away from D3 powers playing pee wee football teams in weeks 1 or 2

Would I bash a D3fb school for playing a fake school if their SOS took a hit?  no.  I get that there are hurdles to scheduling games, but there should be a punishment for playing such games.  As long as the garbage team (Faith, Mid Georgia, etc) hurts team A just like garbage OAC teams (Wilm, Musky, etc) hurt Mount, then I think that would be fair.

merlecanlas

Thomas More would be a great spot for Poorman.  He's going to be really good D3 QB, he could definitely play D2 as well.  But imagine if Poorman transferred down to UMHB.  Use Robinson's athleticism at another position and have a heady QB....would be dangerous. 

I wish the kid well and I'm sure his dad will provide plenty of details of his future plans 

WRMUalum13

Quote from: merlecanlas on March 01, 2018, 11:21:53 PM

Thomas More would be a great spot for Poorman.  He's going to be really good D3 QB, he could definitely play D2 as well.  But imagine if Poorman transferred down to UMHB.  Use Robinson's athleticism at another position and have a heady QB....would be dangerous. 

I wish the kid well and I'm sure his dad will provide plenty of details of his future plans

Honesty he could probably compete for the starting job at YSU, they've had qb struggles as of late.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: merlecanlas on March 01, 2018, 11:07:18 PM

who should UWW, UWO, etc play?  I don't know.  I would start with an NCAA team.  I'm not paid a healthy salary to schedule football games.  I can't imagine alums and fans are stoked with seeing a club football team on any NCAA schedule.  I remember WIAC teams playing other WIAC teams in "non-conference" games not that long ago.   Get creative.  We are a step away from D3 powers playing pee wee football teams in weeks 1 or 2

How about you get creative? I know your only purpose here is to troll, but even you must understand it takes two teams to schedule a game. One does not schedule solely by fiat.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.